Greece

maqroll

Varoufakis' head offered to placate the Eurozone...

Too little too late. Strange that the Finance minister resigns after a 60+% win in a referendum to endorse his parties policies. What would he have done if he lost the referendum? The inmates are running the asylum.

In fairness I don't think Varoufakis was terribly happy to be resigning - every statement he made basically said he'd been told to piss off because he is a point of contention in the discussions. He seems quite pleased that he pissed off the right people enough that they basically told the Greeks to bin him.

His leaving is a statement by Tsipras that he wants to do a deal.

Varoufakis' head offered to placate the Eurozone...

Too little too late. Strange that the Finance minister resigns after a 60+% win in a referendum to endorse his parties policies. What would he have done if he lost the referendum? The inmates are running the asylum.

In fairness I don't think Varoufakis was terribly happy to be resigning - every statement he made basically said he'd been told to piss off because he is a point of contention in the discussions. He seems quite pleased that he pissed off the right people enough that they basically told the Greeks to bin him.

His leaving is a statement by Tsipras that he wants to do a deal.

Agree 100% The irony is by pushing him out the EU is now faced by his replacement who is also a Marxist, but unlike Mr V isn't fond of the EU as a concept.

Out of the frying pan and into the furnace!!

Bearing in mind the referendum result from last weeked, would it be much of a surprise to find Tsipras's head on a spike in Syntagma Square by the end of the week?

Indeed, it's like those cretins are actually trying to destroy the Greek state. Tsipras didn't just have a gun to his head, they pretty much water boarded him according to one EU official. Following the ECB engineered run on Geeek banks it was a case of concede or die.

Anyone still crazy enough to believe the EU is a positive thing for Europe needs to wipe the s**t from their eyes. It's a sovereignty destroying machine serving the wishes of big capital, a corporate fascist state in the making.

I hope the Greek people revolt; kill the beast.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

Bearing in mind the referendum result from last weeked, would it be much of a surprise to find Tsipras's head on a spike in Syntagma Square by the end of the week?

Indeed, it's like those cretins are actually trying to destroy the Greek state. Tsipras didn't just have a gun to his head, they pretty much water boarded him according to one EU official. Following the ECB engineered run on Geeek banks it was a case of concede or die.

Anyone still crazy enough to believe the EU is a positive thing for Europe needs to wipe the s**t from their eyes. It's a sovereignty destroying machine serving the wishes of big capital, a corporate fascist state in the making.

"Anyone still crazy enough to believe the EU is a positive thing for Europe" it is a waste of time,  it's like spinning plates.  There will always be a Greece / Ireland / Spain around the corner with their begging bowls out,  if they don't understand this by now they never will.  

The one thing I would like to know is how much does it cost to run this EU thing a year and is it all worth it ? (Be good to see how much Greece owes compared to the waste of the EU in general).

Who the **** wants to be in any union where Germany and France are the big main players anyway? 

"Anyone still crazy enough to believe the EU is a positive thing for Europe" it is a waste of time,  it's like spinning plates.  There will always be a Greece / Ireland / Spain around the corner with their begging bowls out,  if they don't understand this by now they never will.  

The one thing I would like to know is how much does it cost to run this EU thing a year and is it all worth it ? (Be good to see how much Greece owes compared to the waste of the EU in general).

Who the **** wants to be in any union where Germany and France are the big main players anyway? 

I am not sure why Ireland is listed with Spain and Greece?

They took their medicine and they now have a fiscal surplus of 4.8% (unlike the UK's deficit of 6.6%) and their GDP per capita is $53462 compared with the UK's $45653.

As for the Greeks, before they joined the Euro their bonds were costing them 25% and the interest rate plummeted once the Germans were seen to be underwriting their debts, and they went on a spending spree, as a result.

The Germans gained because having economies such as the likes of Greece factored into the value of the Euro kept German exports competitive, which allowed them to avoid the problems the Swiss have of having a strong reserve currency damaging their international trade.

So I would say there are plenty of advantages to being in the EC, for all concerned, but only if every country conforms to rules and doesn't take the piss.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

Democracy worked great in Finland though. They recently had a national election and the parties that now have formed a government both promised that they wouldn't give Greece any debt relief. They didn't. Strongly suspect that Finland was the last country to sign this deal.

Democracy worked great in Finland though. They recently had a national election and the parties that now have formed a government both promised that they wouldn't give Greece any debt relief. They didn't. Strongly suspect that Finland was the last country to sign this deal.

This agreement was just about what Greece had to do to even get to the start line for further negotiations for another bailout. In this agreement the Eurogroup has not gone further than saying they would consider debt relief as part of the forthcoming negotiations - assuming the Greek Parliament agrees to prostrate itself before Northern Europe in the meantime. As you say it's by no means certain that the Finns and others will agree to that if and when the time comes.

I was reading today that part of the agreement is the enforced privatisation of much of Greeks public services - healthcare, transport and a bit more besides directly sold off against the debt to the banks - lend people money they don't want in order to save them from a crisis that you put them in and they hadn't noticed, then take away everything they own and sell it back to them, banking isn't the most ethical business is it?

I'm not sure people blaming Germany are completely right, nations don't have the power of these banks now, but I did like the cheeky picture of Churchill with "We will fight them on the beaches (of Greece)" that I saw today.

Expect massive strikes and public unrest over this. Total calamity. I had high hopes for Syriza, especially on the heels of the rise of Golden Dawn. But now they have been made to look like fools, and even worse, hypocrites. So sad.

I was reading today that part of the agreement is the enforced privatisation of much of Greeks public services - healthcare, transport and a bit more besides directly sold off against the debt to the banks - lend people money they don't want in order to save them from a crisis that you put them in and they hadn't noticed, then take away everything they own and sell it back to them, banking isn't the most ethical business is it?

I'm not sure people blaming Germany are completely right, nations don't have the power of these banks now, but I did like the cheeky picture of Churchill with "We will fight them on the beaches (of Greece)" that I saw today.

Banking is a very simple business to understand, Banking at it's essence has 3 simple rules

Rule 1, get people into debt, with money that you don't actually have yourself, using whatever means possible, 

Rule 2, keep them in debt. using whatever means possible

Rule 3, use this debt to obtain the real wealth of those in debt using whatever means possible.

I was reading today that part of the agreement is the enforced privatisation of much of Greeks public services - healthcare, transport and a bit more besides directly sold off against the debt to the banks.

That is straight from IMF-playbook which they have used a lot in South America. Haven't worked out all that well.

Expect massive strikes and public unrest over this. Total calamity. I had high hopes for Syriza, especially on the heels of the rise of Golden Dawn. But now they have been made to look like fools, and even worse, hypocrites. So sad.

Syriza was either naive or just stupid. They wasted time they didn't have. The finance minister were definitely stupid.

I was reading today that part of the agreement is the enforced privatisation of much of Greeks public services - healthcare, transport and a bit more besides directly sold off against the debt to the banks.

That is straight from IMF-playbook which they have used a lot in South America.

Along with sudden death of anyone who stood up for the peoples interest against the corporate might, but I'm sure all those plane crashes etc were just coicidence

Â