Greece

maqroll

Talking heads predicting a win for NO with about 60% of the vote.

The EU's bluff has finally been called...

2md43li.jpg

Edited by Awol

I remember seeing some ancient TV footage as a kid, where A J P Taylor explained how Germany's failure to send a batch of telegraph poles to France, as part of their war reparations, prompted the French to send troops in to occupy the Ruhr. This prompted the Germans to go on strike, which led directly to the hyper-inflation, which caused the economic crisis which brought Hitler to power.

So will Germany invade Greece by sending in the shock troops of economic terrorism, or remember their history?

I remember seeing some ancient TV footage as a kid, where A J P Taylor explained how Germany's failure to send a batch of telegraph poles to France, as part of their war reparations, prompted the French to send troops in to occupy the Ruhr. This prompted the Germans to go on strike, which led directly to the hyper-inflation, which caused the economic crisis which brought Hitler to power.

So will Germany invade Greece by sending in the shock troops of economic terrorism, or remember their history?

Not forgetting that events in the Balkans have form for getting a bit out of hand at the drop of a hat. I think the EZ will blink first, if not then expect the unexpected!  

As an aside, OXI Day is celebrated in Greece every year to commemorate their one word reply to an Axis ultimatum in WW2.  Brave, but shortly afterwards Germany kicked the beejesus out of them.  

Not forgetting that events in the Balkans have form for getting a bit out of hand at the drop of a hat. I think the EZ will blink first, if not then expect the unexpected!  

As an aside, OXI Day is celebrated in Greece every year to commemorate their one word reply to an Axis ultimatum in WW2.  Brave, but shortly afterwards Germany kicked the beejesus out of them.  

Yeah, I remember that from Olivia Manning's The Balkan Trilogy - the Greeks thought they had won because they defeated the Italians but then the Germans turned up.

So, everyone is agreed, the Greek's have shown the way ahead and stuck it to the man by refusing to pay back money they should never have been given in the first place that was going to enslave them with repayments for generations.

We're ok with them not paying us back the 10 Billion Euros they owe us? We can after all, simply make up the lost money with some additional cuts.....

It's all a bit of a bugger really.

Varoufakis' head offered to placate the Eurozone...

Too little too late. Strange that the Finance minister resigns after a 60+% win in a referendum to endorse his parties policies. What would he have done if he lost the referendum? The inmates are running the asylum.

So, everyone is agreed, the Greek's have shown the way ahead and stuck it to the man by refusing to pay back money they should never have been given in the first place that was going to enslave them with repayments for generations.

We're ok with them not paying us back the 10 Billion Euros they owe us? We can after all, simply make up the lost money with some additional cuts.....

The consequences are as yet unknown but I think we can rest assured that this will cost us all, and it is only a matter of how much.

The idea of a European Union is a lovely one. I used to be a big fan. In reality, though, it is little more than an apparatus for forcing neo-liberalist dogma on nations entirely unsuitable for such policies. The EU can and should be a force for good and to be that, it needs to take a step back. It has become too integrated, too fast. The member states are too different, and their policies need to be different too. Other nations will hopefully follow the example set by Mr. Tsipras and the peple of Greece tonight.

No nation is suitable for neo liberal politics, and no people should be made to suffer the consequences of it's utterly flawed and bullshit ideology

Also, Whilst the Eu isn't blameless, the focus needs to be on the IMF and the world bank.so often behind the instruments of financial ruin inflicted on nations

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

Two ways to conquer and enslave the people of a nation, one is with the sword, the other is with debt. both should be met with equal resistance, other nations prefer the sword, those that practice usury prefer debt, though they are not disinclined to the use of the sword, after all it provides an excellent means for debt

The idea of a European Union is a lovely one. I used to be a big fan. In reality, though, it is little more than an apparatus for forcing neo-liberalist dogma on nations entirely unsuitable for such policies. The EU can and should be a force for good and to be that, it needs to take a step back. It has become too integrated, too fast. The member states are too different, and their policies need to be different too. Other nations will hopefully follow the example set by Mr. Tsipras and the peple of Greece tonight.

No nation is suitable for neo liberal politics, and no people should be made to suffer the consequences of it's utterly flawed and bullshit ideology
Oh, I agree.
  • Like 1

Well, they probably wouldn't be able to repay anyway under enforced austerity keeping them in depression.

Â