General England thread

kurtsimonw

"We still have enough firepower with Lambert and Defoe to replace Sturridge and Rooney even though it would be wrong of me to say they are not players who will be missed," said Hodgson.

The England manager confirmed that captain Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Jack Wilshere will definitely play in midfield, with Arsenal's Theo Walcott and Manchester United forward Welbeck providing Lambert with assistance from the flanks.

We're gonna lose against Moldova aren't we?

We may have a USA 94 scenario on our hands. England not at the world cup in Brazil would be unbearable.

overreaction. best international tournament in last 10 years was Euro 2008 and no home nations were there either 

Yeah I agree Euro 2008 was the best tournament in the last 10 years, but I mean from the perspective of the average fan experience here in England. The atmosphere here will be dead. Everyone else is at the party and we are not.

We may have a USA 94 scenario on our hands. England not at the world cup in Brazil would be unbearable.

overreaction. best international tournament in last 10 years was Euro 2008 and no home nations were there either 

Yeah I agree Euro 2008 was the best tournament in the last 10 years, but I mean from the perspective of the average fan experience here in England. The atmosphere here will be dead. Everyone else is at the party and we are not.

woe is us

Jermain Defoe is available but not fully fit and Hodgson pointed out he has not started a single Premier League game this season for Tottenham, a club that has spent more than £100m in the summer on non-English recruits.

Then WHY PICK HIM!?

The guy is a bloody moron.

It isn't, it's the best starting 11 Hodgson can offer.

Jermain Defoe is available but not fully fit and Hodgson pointed out he has not started a single Premier League game this season for Tottenham, a club that has spent more than £100m in the summer on non-English recruits.

Then WHY PICK HIM!?

The guy is a bloody moron.

Wouldn't it be good if there was an English striker out there ready to be called up who is playing in the Premier League at the peak of his game, a player who can play both out wide and through the middle, a player with blistering pace that few defenders can cope with, a player who plays regularly for his club and has been in very good form for much of this calendar year?

What a shame that we haven't got anyone like that.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

Lost interest in England in the last 6 years. The managers keep picking the same players that can't play together. Picking players just because of what club they play for.... Picking the so so called best players don't make a good team, we need to make the best team, shame Hodgson only looks at the sky darlings....... Rather Villa won the FA cup than England winning the world cup

Its amazing how little criticism Hodgson is getting from the press considering the shit Capello & sven got.

Because he's English and they were the ones primarily campaigning for an English manager.

:crylaugh:

a. they didnt campaign for him as England manager at all unless your mixing him with Arry

b. he got all sorts of disgraceful abuse when he got the job from the media over stupid things like hsi speech

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

#eng v Moldova: Hart; Walker, Cahill, Jagielka, Cole; Gerrard, Wilshere, Lampard; Walcott, Lambert, Welbeck.

Embarrassing to think that's the best starting 11 our country can offer.

How is that embarrassing? What is wrong with those player's?

Slight lack of understanding there. Maybe from a neutral's point of view. But I can understand it being unbearable for an English person not seeing England at a tournament. We're just more used to it over here.

Its amazing how little criticism Hodgson is getting from the press considering the shit Capello & sven got.

Because he's English and they were the ones primarily campaigning for an English manager.

:crylaugh:

a. they didnt campaign for him as England manager at all unless your mixing him with Arry

b. he got all sorts of disgraceful abuse when he got the job from the media over stupid things like hsi speech

I never said they did campaign for him, I said they campaigned for an English manager

He still hasn't got anywhere near as much abuse in the media as Capello got.

Â