Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is that actually from Phillips? Pretty disrespectful for him to say it like that.

Its a direct quote from an article on The Athletic 

clearing in the woods

Pretty poor. He obviously dosen't think he'd have been good enough to improve us and get us another 5-6 points which would've had us safe weeks ago.

One to stick on the dressing room wall next season anyway if we can finish the job.

TBH before the Palace game i'd have said we'd be getting relegated as well 

Probably just a bit of a naive slip up from a young man who isn't used to doing press interviews. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Absolute morons. They should throw the book at leeds for this. Absolute disgrace while this corona is going on.

Reckless and pure stupidity 

There is absolutely no way that the powers-that-be at Leeds would think that they would genuinely be doing a bus parade to no one. They flippantly told everybody to stay away just to try and cover their arses.

Minus 10 points to start the season, please.

• Like 2

On 20/07/2020 at 15:41, KAZZAM said:

People forgetting Leeds went bankrupt trying to be a top side? Challenging in the champions league ? yeh that cost them a one way trip to division 1. Leeds united is the poster boy of FFP  and why it exists.

You do have a point but..

Howard wilkinson improved the youth development that's always been incredible at leeds.

So they won the fa youth cup in 93 & 97.

That 97 team had paul robinson, jon woodgate, harry kewell, stephen mcphail..

So in 1998 a lot of these players came in to the first team & excelled along with lucas radebe, jimmy floyd hasselbaink, lee bowyer, alan smith..

Money was rolling in back then.

That team got to the eufa cup semi & qualified for the champions league before they went on an absolutely stupid not needed spending spree.

Mark viduka & olly dacourt withstanding.

David oleary just was aloud to act like a lottery winner, spend spend spend. Stills makes me angry now!

So by 2002, forget the total obscene transfer fees, they had a wage bill over 90% of turnover, hence the statement back then that they must qualify for the champions league just to balance the books. Crazy.

Since then it made me realise how 2 simple rules would stop this mad over spending.

A limit of 60% on wages to turnover. On relegation turnover drops so will players wages, hence an end to parachute payments.

Of course if that was a football wide rule then it would be in players contracts.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Linked to Cavani.

That's the sort of players that is available if you've got a high profile coach.

It was their owner who linked them to him, said they'll break their transfer record too 

And his wage rumours are £18m a season.. Benefica were in talks but said no, I can't imagine many clubs seriously wanting him with those demands 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

It was their owner who linked them to him, said they'll break their transfer record too 

And his wage rumours are £18m a season.. Benefica were in talks but said no, I can't imagine many clubs seriously wanting him with those demands 

Would be a cracking signing.

He may be 33 years old but still a major upgrade to Bamford.

Of course he would 

But he's also 33 probably wanting a 2 or 3 year contract on £18m a year! Him being on a "free" would still potentially be a £54m package and with him declining due to age

Its one hell of a risk

That's more than Wes and Samatta on 5 year deals 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

That's more than Wes and Samatta on 5 year deals 

You can’t really compare, strikers that almost never score are a waste of money regardless of how much they get paid.

Cavani could easily score more goals in 2 years than Wes and Ally combined in 5

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

You can’t really compare, strikers that almost never score are a waste of money regardless of how much they get paid.

Cavani could easily score more goals in 2 years than Wes and Ally combined in 5

Yeah agree but the point I'm trying to make is that Leeds are still a bit like us, they need to build a new team, Cavani on 3 years for that money is effectively 2 or 3 of the players we bought even though he is on a free transfer 

Replace Wes and Samatta with with  Konsa, Engels and guilbert who as 3 packages combined will cost around the same

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah agree but the point I'm trying to make is that Leeds are still a bit like us, they need to build a new team, Cavani on 3 years for that money is effectively 2 or 3 of the players we bought even though he is on a free transfer 

Replace Wes and Samatta with with  Konsa, Engels and guilbert who as 3 packages combined will cost around the same

Yeah I agree. I also don’t think he’ll go to Leeds, he’ll go to a more fashionable team. 

Â