Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. Newcastle and Brighton were far better than leeds were the season they both went up.

Wolves obviously were a million miles better. I think that Wolves side have a genuine claim to being one of the best Championship sides ever.

Norwich last season were better than them.

Like I said Leeds might scrape into the top 5 of the last 3 years. Some would argue Sheff Utd were better, especially given hindsight.

Ive said before, this is one of weakest Championship seasons in history, no stand out teams. Leeds done well but this assumption will take Premier League by storm is crazy.

Best player they have Hernandez was quite average in top flight in his prime and they have a keeper who Bielsa loves but makes as many mistakes as Nyland

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool don't play the same type of football. And none of them play the way Leeds play.

That's not saying Leeds don't play good football. At that level, when they're on it, they're a pleasure to watch.

But they're not similar to those teams.

I didn't mean they play the same way exactly, just that they all play nice football. And, I'm pretty certain that with a few shrewd signings they should be fine. 

It's seems a bit laughable now, when looking back at all the jokes about Bielsa and how his teams always run out of steam half - way through the season. Their one of the fittest teams I've seen. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

They've been outside the top flight for more of their history than they've been in it.

Their stature is a second tier club.

For you maybe, not for me. Their fan base alone makes them a club worthy of the top division.

I think most people in football would agree a team like Leeds belong in the " Premiership", regardless of stats. 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I didn't mean they play the same way exactly, just that they all play nice football. And, I'm pretty certain that with a few shrewd signings they should be fine. 

It's seems a bit laughable now, when looking back at all the jokes about Bielsa and how his teams always run out of steam half - way through the season. Their one of the fittest teams I've seen. 

the 3 month break no doubt helped

in his first 2 years they did fall away with fatigue playing a part

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

For you maybe, not for me. Their fan base alone makes them a club worthy of the top division.

I think most people in football would agree a team like Leeds belong in the " Premiership", regardless of stats. 

Why? They were only in the premier league for 10 or 11 seasons. They’ve been out of it for 16. About the same as Stoke 

For nearly two thirds of the premier league’s existence, they haven’t been in it. 

Edited by Stevo985

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Historically they do run out of steam. It happened last season. 

This season they’ve had a 3 month break in the middle to recover and they were wobbling before that. 

Who knows what would have happened without that break 

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why? They were only in the premier league for 10 or 11 seasons. They’ve been out of it for 16. About the same as Stoke 

For nearly two thirds of the premier league’s existence, they haven’t been in it. 

Because the Premier league replaced the old first division and Leeds were once the dominant team of that division. The players they had were household names: Lorimer, Bremner, Gray, Clarke, Hunter and dear old Jack. If they were just a " second tier team", why all the fuss. And please, no stats. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Because the Premier league replaced the old first division and Leeds were once the dominant team of that division. The players they had were household names: Lorimer, Bremner, Gray, Clarke, Hunter and dear old Jack. If they were just a " second tier team", why all the fuss. And please, no stats. 

Well Leeds have spent over half there existence outside the top tier. A good spell in the 60s/70s is pretty much a blip in the clubs history 

Edited by Zatman

they're a big club no doubt about it, if you're talking a PL of the 20 biggest English clubs then of course leeds would be in there

but the idea that they should be in there or deserve to be in there based on size and fanbase alone etc is nonsense, every club is more or less where they deserve to be, them being there instead of Norwich or Bournemouth doesn't make the league better, it makes it louder because there's more garbage spouted about Leeds but it doesn't make it better

sky will of course wheel out the excitement word as much as possible but then beyond offering a rivalry with utd, a big fanbase and bielsa (without actually being able to analyse what it is bielsa does) they wont in football terms be able to offer any kind of explanation as to why Leeds vs Brighton will be a better game than Bournemouth vs Brighton, they'll just throw out "they're back where they belong" several times which apparently makes the game more exciting for neutrals, it wont 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well Leeds have spent over half there existence outside the top tier. A good spell in the 60s/70s is pretty much a blip in the clubs history 

And yet that Leeds team are still remembered by many in football, how strange for just a blip. 

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

And yet that Leeds team are still remembered by many in football, how strange for just a blip. 

It's not just about domestic success.

They have a massive fan base and a great ground.

Leeds replacing the likes of Bournemouth will enrich the league.

22 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That dominant period you refer to was 50 odd years ago. Why does that make them worthy of the top division. Huddersfield were a dominant team once upon a time too, so were Preston. Are they Premier League Teams as a result? Derby County and Nottingham Forest had incredible periods back then too, should they be in the Premier League as a result?

Football doesn't work like that.

They're a big club, but I don't know why they have a divine right to be in the Premier League when the majority of their existence has been outside of the top flight.

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Because it was a blip. If they were some regular powerhouse then it would be one of many famous squads

• Haha 1

I think for people who are maybe 40 or 50, Leeds will be thought of as somewhat of a giant.  People like me in their 30s think of leeds as a team who did well in the champs leagues once in the early 2000s, people in their 20s are like "Leeds have always been shit on Fifa".  With Leeds its a generational thing because whatever level they're at when your in your teenage/20 years, kind of defines them. 

If you're 110, Preston North End are absolutely unshakable giants. 

The real answer is, no-one really "belongs" in any league, apart from Everton (who have spent most of their existence in the top flight)? I think. 

As for Leeds in the Prem, if they keep their core, rather than trying to buy it like we needed to, they should be able to survive, but they need to reduce the amount of individual mistakes they make, that have been so costly for us, like Jack vs Spurs, Luiz vs Bournemouth, Engles v Spurs etc etc.  We've bought so much of our poor season on ourselves (bar a couple of VAR shouts and our games vs Burnley), it's taken all our momentum out of us and we've really suffered as a result.  

If they can cut those out, add 2/3 decent experienced players (Like Milner for example), they'll do fine. 

I'm more concerned with us getting out of the championship next year at the first time of asking, it's going to be a weak league again next season and we really HAVE to take advantage of it. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

like I said why is leeds vs brighton better than Bournemouth vs brighton?

I'm only speaking for my self here.

But to me watching games from Elland Road and Villa Park with bigger and more passionate crowds and better pitches is a better spectacle. (For me)

Everton 117, Aston Villa 106, Liverpool 105, Arsenal 103, Mancehster United 95, Manchester City 91, Newcastle 88, Sunderland 86, Chelsea 85, Tottenham Hotspur 85, West Bromwich Albion 81, Bolton Wanderers 73 Blackburn Rovers 72, Sheffield Wednesday 65, Derby County 65, Wolverhampton Wanderers 65, West Ham United 62, Stoke CIty 62, Middlesbrough 62, small heath 57, Sheffield United 57, Burnley 57, Nottingham Forest 56, and Leicester City 53, have all spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds, 50.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, useless said:

Everton 117, Aston Villa 106, Liverpool 105, Arsenal 103, Mancehster United 95, Manchester City 91, Newcastle 88, Sunderland 86, Chelsea 85, Tottenham Hotspur 85, West Bromwich Albion 81, Bolton Wanderers 73 Blackburn Rovers 72, Sheffield Wednesday 65, Derby County 65, Wolverhampton Wanderers 65, West Ham United 62, Stoke CIty 62, Middlesbrough 62, small heath 57, Sheffield United 57, Burnley 57, Nottingham Forest 56, and Leicester City 53, have all spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds, 50.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

What surprised me was looking further down the list that Palace have only spent twenty seasons in the top division, whilst not massively succesful they've also been a team I associate with the top flight for some reason. Same with Watford, surprised to see that they've only spent thirteen seasons in the top flight.

Â