Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

And yet our youth system isn't very good apparently

The test is not winning things at youth level.

It's what they do once they reach the first team. Unfortunately a lot of our highly rated youth players just haven't developed or produced the same quality when playing for the senior team.

Looks to be a lot of potential again this year with the young players. Hopefully we have more that can make the grade when it counts.

Doesn't that say more about the first team coaching they receive than about our youth system? At this point, the only frame of reference is against other youth systems and we've shown in recent to be among the best in the country if not the best. 

• Like 1

Doesn't that say more about the first team coaching they receive than about our youth system? At this point, the only frame of reference is against other youth systems and we've shown in recent to be among the best in the country if not the best. 

Possibly.

It could be a combination of both. I tend to think a lot of them haven't been good enough. Albrighton is a prime example. Excellent at youth level and started brightly but no amount of quality coaching is going to change how limited a player he is.

I guess it also depends on our expectations as a club. When challenging for 4th the likes of ridgewell, Gardner and Moore were not good enough for us. Now though they'd easily be part of this squad.

I guess it also depends on our expectations as a club. When challenging for 4th the likes of ridgewell, Gardner and Moore were not good enough for us. Now though they'd easily be part of this squad.

In your hurry to put a negative spin on the Villa youth academy you forget to mention Gary Cahill and half of the current Villa first team.

Ridiculous.

Needless swipe at Albrighton too. He's looked dangerous when he's had sub opportunities this season. 

These are top top players the academy is producing. 

Carruthers moved to the Villa academy from Arsenal for a good reason.

In your hurry to put a negative spin on the Villa youth academy you forget to mention Gary Cahill and half of the current Villa first team.

Ridiculous.

Needless swipe at Albrighton too. He's looked dangerous when he's had sub opportunities this season. 

Haha

I've not forgot about Cahill or Gabby or weimman. But look at how highly some of them were rated and how they failed to produce at senior level.

Albrighton has been awful as soon as premiership defenders found him out. I'm sure you have a heat map and a whole load of stats to prove me wrong.

The youth team always tend to do well but like I said that's nothing really. Unless it really benefits the first team then its not achieving what it should. And apart from a couple of players on the whole players who have been highly rated youngsters have failed at senior level.

Part of the reason we are in our current situation is because we are relying on young players who aren't good enough.

It's obviously good that we produce this potential but at the moment we aren't seeing many come through that are really good enough. Again though that depends on the clubs expectations. If we're just about surviving then having the likes of bannan and albrighton play regularly will probably be fine. I'm hoping we're aiming higher in the future though.

Ridiculous.

Haha

I've not forgot about Cahill or Gabby or weimman. But look at how highly some of them were rated and how they failed to produce at senior level.

Are you saying the players you've mentioned there haven't been good enough?

We were pretty well outplayed for a good long while yesterday. sporting have some talented looking players and the technical level throughout their side was very high. 

the pitch was shocking though and that didn't really help the game. carruthers, who was playing a lot deeper than i thought he would, doing a lot of fetching and carrying put in a good shift as captain without being spectacular. then he scored an absolute beauty of a goal, passing it into the top right hand corner from 20 yards first touch steamign on to a grealish lay off. grealish looked good in patches, the pitch bobbled a lot and so quite often he's do good work and then a bobbly ball would skew the cross a bit. i'd like to see him on a proper surface. robinson worked his socks off but was badly served and so didn't really shine. webb looked ok at times but gave the ball away a lot too. the center backs got drawn to teh ball a bit too often as a pair which left some big holes, especially if the fullbacks were up field. burke looked good in patches too, and opened the scoring with a pen, followed by a calmly take grealish goal after their keeper decided to fling himself on the floor thinking grealish was going to shoot first time.

good game, great that we managed to win it, bring on chelsea.

we have the 30th highest youth productivity for players in the top 5 rated leagues in the world (England,Spain,France, germany and italy) the 3rd best in England after Manchester UNited and Arsenal. ahead of teams with famous youth systems like Auxerre. River Plate and Ajax and major clubs like Inter, PSG as well.

the youth system is best thing the club has

• Like 1

And apart from a couple of players on the whole players who have been highly rated youngsters have failed at senior level.

Luke Moore, Liam Ridgewell, Craig Gardner have not failed at senior level in any way. At least two of them have a Cup winners medal in their display case. Cahill and Gabby have represented England.

Winning trophies and playing for your country is not failure at senior level, IMO.

Since the Villa academy is relatively new, apart from those lot, that's all we have to judge on. What there is to judge on so far is very good.

The current group are doing well and will probably be even better.

I'm not going to delay the moment when I offer praise because the Villa academy has already proven itself.

Neutral sources, such as commentators from non-Aston Villa fan base, all speak in glowing terms about the Villa academy, which is another indicator that I'm calling a golden goose a golden goose.

another thing is what contributes failure in an academy? Im sure the sale of Gardner for example probably funded the academy for few seasons to prove it was worth it on clubs part

we have the 30th highest youth productivity for players in the top 5 rated leagues in the world (England,Spain,France, germany and italy) the 3rd best in England after Manchester UNited and Arsenal. ahead of teams with famous youth systems like Auxerre. River Plate and Ajax and major clubs like Inter, PSG as well.

Would be interested to see the list, do you have a link?

we have the 30th highest youth productivity for players in the top 5 rated leagues in the world (England,Spain,France, germany and italy) the 3rd best in England after Manchester UNited and Arsenal. ahead of teams with famous youth systems like Auxerre. River Plate and Ajax and major clubs like Inter, PSG as well.

Would be interested to see the list, do you have a link?

It was in the latest edition of 442. not sure if could get a link online

we have the 30th highest youth productivity for players in the top 5 rated leagues in the world (England,Spain,France, germany and italy) the 3rd best in England after Manchester UNited and Arsenal. ahead of teams with famous youth systems like Auxerre. River Plate and Ajax and major clubs like Inter, PSG as well.

And is it really helping?

When we were challenging 4th we were producing players not good enough for that standard and now as we fight relegation we seem to be producing players barely good enough to help us with that.

We've managed to produce one very good player and a few ok ones.

Don't really see how this fantastic youth set up is helping us.

And is it really helping?

When we were challenging 4th we were producing players not good enough for that standard and now as we fight relegation we seem to be producing players barely good enough to help us with that.

We've managed to produce one very good player and a few ok ones.

Don't really see how this fantastic youth set up is helping us.

We produce some quality moaners.

Â