Media and punditry

BOF

Just now, rbcuk said:

Simon Thomas is taking over Jeff Stelling, also have Mike Dean joining them didn’t think it could get anyworse with the current lot on it, the show should have been axed 

another reason not to tune in. That man has an absurdly oversized ego and will make every week all about him.

• Like 3

There's just no need for Soccer Saturday now.

It was amazing at a time when access to the latest football scores wasn't as easy as opening an app on your phone. It was the best way to get updates.

Now you just don't need it

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's just no need for Soccer Saturday now.

It was amazing at a time when access to the latest football scores wasn't as easy as opening an app on your phone. It was the best way to get updates.

Now you just don't need it

Yeah but it would kind of odd for a Sports channel not to have a live hub for all the 3pm games.  Would be interested to see the viewing figures for now versus 15 years ago when loads of people played Soccer Saturday drinking games and the like.

BT's one would be preferable these days any just due to the presence of Jules Breach.

If they're not going to show the goals then it's done, even the gambling along with it element is out dated

Dean could work in that he has enough of an ego to go rogue, if he calls PGMOL and other refs out every week then he will be a huge success... But he won't, he'll be the same as that clown on BT, it's a waste of time if all he does is tell you every decision is right when every man and his dog knows it's wrong

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If they're not going to show the goals then it's done, even the gambling along with it element is out dated

Dean could work in that he has enough of an ego to go rogue, if he calls PGMOL and other refs out every week then he will be a huge success... But he won't, he'll be the same as that clown on BT, it's a waste of time if all he does is tell you every decision is right when every man and his dog knows it's wrong

Showing the goals would change everything, but it'll never happen

I think there’s always going to be an audience for a live show as the goals go in. 

We have YouTube channels of people reacting to goals as they go in. They’re popular.

Soccer Saturday has that, coupled with pundits. And the pundits don’t really need to be any good and/or know what they’re talking about, they just have to be vaguely recognisable and make a bit of a flap when something happens. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Showing the goals would change everything, but it'll never happen

yep, the reality is soccer saturday isnt competing with BT or BBC, in fairness they've always been superior to them IMO, they're competing with twitter and streaming, it doesnt matter which ex pro they get to describe the villa game on a saturday afternoon when i can go on here or twitter or anywhere else and see it for myself

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I'm fully aware I'm massively in the minority but I don't mind the guy

He comes across alright, seems a bit boring really, I can't relate to people who love golf above everything else. But he's not been as bad as people on here make him out to be. 

I don’t particularly mind Evans, although I don’t read his stuff very often to have a strong enough opinion. I’m going more on his discussions with Dan Bardell.

That being said, when people were complaining about the recent podcast/YT video where it was said he was being something of a negative voice, I watched it half expecting people were exaggerating. I’m fairness they weren’t, it really wasn’t a fun listen, just a real dismal listen which in fairness Bardell contributed towards when he started going off on one about Purslow (I really like Bardell, but this made a negative show even more of a unpleasant listen).

So I can see why he might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But whoever writes about Villa I have a hunch there’s always going to be a general view of “urgh, why are we stuck with this bloke covering us?”.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t particularly mind Evans, although I don’t read his stuff very often to have a strong enough opinion. I’m going more on his discussions with Dan Bardell.

That being said, when people were complaining about the recent podcast/YT video where it was said he was being something of a negative voice, I watched it half expecting people were exaggerating. I’m fairness they weren’t, it really wasn’t a fun listen, just a real dismal listen which in fairness Bardell contributed towards when he started going off on one about Purslow (I really like Bardell, but this made a negative show even more of a unpleasant listen).

So I can see why he might not be everyone’s cup of tea. But whoever writes about Villa I have a hunch there’s always going to be a general view of “urgh, why are we stuck with this bloke covering us?”.

in fairness to bardell he did counter a lot of what evans was saying with a positive in that podcast (i seem to recall he stopped short of really criticising purslow? maybe i'm remembering wrong) but it was clear that there was a villa fan that was delighted with where we currently are and where we could possibly go, alongside was a non villa fan that understandably wasn't quite as giddy. it was the first time (IMO) that it's ever come across clearly that evans is a fan of a rival club...there was almost an element of bitterness in his voice

i reiterate, i don't dislike evans, but i'm looking forward to seeing where the 1874/villa view podcast goes now (i see bardell has done a podcast which will be out soon with the claret n blue lot where that question might get answered)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

But whoever writes about Villa I have a hunch there’s always going to be a general view of “urgh, why are we stuck with this bloke covering us?”.

I think this is 100% guaranteed. No-one's ever happy about who covers us, as far as I can tell. Certainly people need to get over the idea that we *should* be covered by a fan when it comes to an outlet like the Athletic. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

in fairness to bardell he did counter a lot of what evans was saying with a positive in that podcast (i seem to recall he stopped short of really criticising purslow? maybe i'm remembering wrong) but it was clear that there was a villa fan that was delighted with where we currently are and where we could possibly go, alongside was a non villa fan that understandably wasn't quite as giddy. it was the first time (IMO) that it's ever come across clearly that evans is a fan of a rival club...there was almost an element of bitterness in his voice

i reiterate, i don't dislike evans, but i'm looking forward to seeing where the 1874/villa view podcast goes now (i see bardell has done a podcast which will be out soon with the claret n blue lot where that question might get answered)

My memory is Bardell countering a lot of the Evans negativity, but within the last ten minutes or so they kinda swapped roles and Dan was dredging up stuff about Purslow and season ticket prices and just a general moan (a somewhat reluctant “he did some good, he did some bad” summary) and Gregg was the less critical voice. Maybe Gregg Evans mood had rubbed off on Dan. Don’t know.

Basically it acted as a slightly bitter end to an already bitter show.

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That being said, when people were complaining about the recent podcast/YT video where it was said he was being something of a negative voice, I watched it half expecting people were exaggerating. 

Really? Evans is as bitter a Baggie as they come and worse than that, he has absolutely zero idea of what's happening behind the scenes at Villa Park. He relies on other media sources to give him information because nobody at the club tells him anything.

A useless so called "journalist".

• Like 1

Â