The Jazz Thread

maqroll

On 19/01/2021 at 13:16, sidcow said:

I went to school with Chris Bowden AND Alistair Robertson, both Jazz Saxophone players.  Must have been something in the Bournville water. 

I knew Chris Bowden had had some success, I think mainly a few years ago now, but was suprised to find Alastair on a YouTube clip.  He didn't sound like that when I knew him mind.  Brummie traitor! 

Wow - I used to hang out with Chris in London when he was recording his albums.

I have some stories to tell, but probably better over PM!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Wow - I used to hang out with Chris in London when he was recording his albums.

I have some stories to tell, but probably better over PM!

I actually saw him in Brum a couple of years ago but it was absolutely hammering down with rain so I just walked on else I would have said hello. 

I know he had major problems in London and had to move back to Brum.  I can well imagine you have some stories. 

Please remember we were only 15 and I now know it was terrible but I remember a house party when we were about 15 and he was sat on the phone wearing some fishing waders with snorkel and goggles, surrounded by half the party looking on in awe as he made a crank call to The Samaritans threatening to top himself because he'd got his gran pregnant.   He did it brilliantly just letting the story build and build to the final admission. 

At the time I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen.  It became a thing of absolute legend at school. 

I would add looking back I suspect he'd just picked up the receiver and wasn't actually talking to them.  In my sober adult mind I realise there was too much monologue from him and not enough questions the other side. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â