The Jazz Thread

maqroll

Knowing how much certain VTers love the Mighty Boosh, I couldn't resist posting these in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKwQ_zeRwEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNuUNHlsPgI

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, sad news. One of my favourites. 

And if anybody's wondering where they've heard that intro before, Steely Dan ripped it off for "Ricky..." 

• Like 1

Is Big Band music allowed here? My old chap used to take me to see what was left of the Ted Heath big band when I was younger, and I went with him to their last show in London during December 2000. Some of them played on as part of the Don Lusher big band for a while until Don died. Met most of them after gigs over the years.

Ted Heath - Swingin' Shepherd Blues (there's also a nice version on Youtube I saw with Ella Fitzgerald singing it). There's one for starters...

Is Big Band music allowed here?

Absolutely. It's not at the top of my list in terms of jazz styles, but it is part of the roots of the form. Essential stuff.

• Like 2

The 20's and 30's was the heyday of the Big Band era, and it was good fun. Most of the major bands were led by drummers, who used to have "battles" up in Harlem. Chick Webb vs Gene Krupa was the heavyweight duel. The winners would be determined by the reaction of the dancers in the ballrooms, who would be going crazy with those old moves. Different time. Now we have rap battles where the object is to insult each other better.

• Like 1

I'd extend that era to include the 40s. Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey Bands, Glenn Miller, Ellington, Basie, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, etc. All huge during the war years. 

• Like 1

How big does a band need to be to be a big band?

According to WIkipedia, 12 to 25.  

And no I haven't answered this question :)

About how bad does a big band have to be to be a bad big band

• Like 1

Ah the big band era when they were led by DRUMMERS - the most important muso ! :D

I guess the Steely Dan touring band could be classed as a "big band" . Check out 'Mr Parker's Band' by them on Youtube - but don't concentrate on the rude looking female backing singers !  

• Like 1

Ted Heath

He's probably the UK's most important Big Band leader. He demanded the highest standards from his musicians and was well respected in the States.

He learned his trade with Ambrose and picked up a lot from Glenn Miller and the really influential Paul Whiteman.

Mike Dutton has been gradually remastering the back cat, they're still really popular.

Veloman talking of drummer band leaders, Buddy Rich pressed on with the Big Band format through the 60s and 70s.

He made a band with star music students and over time

• Like 1

^^^^  Indeed ! I saw him at The Odeon in New Street in the late 70's (I think). His version of 'Norwegian Wood' was stunning. He had a daughter who (it seems) dated Birmingham's Carl Palmer - he of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Buddy Rich pointed out Carl's Mom who was in the audience.

Echo sentiments re. Ted Heath; I was told that he would audition drummers by simply giving them the pad of numbers, counting them in and then getting them to play it - without any other instruments !  I think his regular drummer was a superb player called Alan Ganley  - but might be wrong.

Also saw Count Basie with Georgie Fame at the Odeon - excellent too.

As Basie' s vocalist. If I remember correctly the curtains drew back and there was this little geezer sat at the piano who played a few tasty chords and then the effing band came in - BANG !

They played a few numbers and then brought on Georgie Fame. I believe he always fancied himself as a jazz singer so the was no 'Ballad of Bonny and Clyde or anything - just jazz standards.

Damn good really.

I rarely go into town now - I take it there is no live music at The Odeon now ?

• Like 1

Re- Ted Heath band, it was mainly Jack Parnell that I saw do the drumming when my old chap took me to see them, though I think Ronnie Verell guested at the last show they did as 'The Ted Heath Band.'

Next offering from Youtube (can't link from work sadly) is Blacksmith Blues, sung by Lita Roza. I met her a couple of times when I was a kid. My favourite song sung by her.

Somebody mentioned Norwegian Wood - that was a mighty fine tune and I saw it used in a Boy Scouts 'Gang Show' performance once. Lovely sound indeed.

Â