The Jazz Thread

maqroll

What an amazing output Getz had between '62 and '64 recording bossa nova with the Gilberto's, Jobim, Almeida, Bonfa and Charlie Byrd.  I remember my dad had an 8-track tape of "Jazz Samba" with Charlie Byrd in his car and I was always begging him to play it instead of all the pop and rock tapes he had.

• Like 1

Worth reading a biography of Clifford Brown. Apart from being a brilliant musician he was a seriously good chess player - and by all accounts a really nice bloke. A sort of anti-Miles Davis. Died way too young. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2016 at 13:14, dAVe80 said:

I listen to Sun Ra quite a bit, as well as Art Ensemble of Chicago, and Albert Ayler.  As per above I like Brazilian Bossa Jazz too.

Always open to suggestions, I'm pretty much entry level at the moment. I'll give anything a listen. 

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Worth reading a biography of Clifford Brown. Apart from being a brilliant musician he was a seriously good chess player - and by all accounts a really nice bloke. A sort of anti-Miles Davis. Died way too young. 

I have a recording made at a jam session in a music store in Philadelphia the night he died.  As I recall, his quintet  had done a gig in town and was heading on to Chicago for their next gig.  Max Roach and Sonny Rollins went on ahead but Clifford and Richie Powell (pianist, Bud's brother) stopped by the session as a favor to his friend who owned the store and they were all going to meet up in Chicago.   They hit the road in the wee hours and their car crashed in a snowstorm. 

Anyway, listening to the recording is eerie, knowing he died just hours later.  He speaks to the crowd and sounds genuinely humble and kind.  To me, the greatest loss of a young musician ever.  More so than Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, etc.  So much talent, so much more to offer, and his output had already been limited by a previous car crash that took him out of commission for a year.

• Like 3

Not jazz, but if I put it elsewhere, it'll get buried...great piece, this-

MOTOWN’S TRUE VISIONARIES

The brothers Brian and Eddie Holland and their friend Lamont Dozier created the Motown Sound, and an unusual sort of love song.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/19/motowns-true-visionaries

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice tune.

My favourite is this nod from a library issue.

Not immediately obvious from the title or the intro. Stick with it for the ethereal ascension.

• Like 1

Â