The Jazz Thread

maqroll

It'll be interesting to see what people like. So far, it's largely hard bop/modal (which is fine by me). Although I haven't checked b6bloke's suggestions yet.

Anybody going to post any 20s/30s/40s stuff? Or - gulp - free jazz?

Hooray! I knew if I waited long enough somebody else would start it (and I wouldn't get the blame). :winkold:

Steely Dan fans may recognise the intro. :)

For being enthusiastic and for waiting for it to be created, you must share the blame.

I find Miles Davis a bit hard to listen to sometimes - actually prefer Dizzy Gillespie.

Except for :

(or perhaps Dana Gillespie)

Never really listened to much of his later stuff. I'd agree that some is a bit meh...e.g. Sketches of Spain, but there's something magical about Kind of Blue. I could listen to it every day and not get tired of it.

I find Miles Davis a bit hard to listen to sometimes - actually prefer Dizzy Gillespie.

Except for :

(or perhaps Dana Gillespie)

Never really listened to much of his later stuff. I'd agree that some is a bit meh...e.g. Sketches of Spain, but there's something magical about Kind of Blue. I could listen to it every day and not get tired of it.

Kind of Blue is one of those albums that transcend genre.

But like another that fits that category - Van Morrison's Astral Weeks - it's a one-off, quite different from the rest of his catalogue.

TBH I like pretty much everything that MD ever did, at least up to the 80s & 90s when he started mixing in pop and rap.

Sketches of Spain is a belter. Then again I love all the Gil Evans MD productions - even Quiet Nights, which most MD fans seem to dismiss out of hand.

As for Dizzy Gillespie, he was great, and I have several of his albums, but I find him a bit on the brash and shrill side at times.

For the perfect bridge between the two extremes, Clifford Brown was the man.

Hooray! I knew if I waited long enough somebody else would start it (and I wouldn't get the blame). :winkold:

Steely Dan fans may recognise the intro. :)

"Rikki Don't Lose That Number" - excellent

So - any excuse to listen to SD http://youtu.be/_MlLG0_Qgp8

Sort of jazz and written about Charlie Parker - peerless musicianship.

Urban rumour - Rikki Dont Lose That Number referred to Rikki Lee Jones

Urban fact - Rikki Lee Jones lived in Arizona and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them.

OK . Urban fact No.2 The incomparable Steve Gadd played drums on Chuck E's In Love.

I would sell my Tiger Tim Club badge and join the Cliff Richard fan club to be able to play like Gadd.

Sorry to wander off topic so -

Â