Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I see the drivel about Bannan has found its way into yet another thread. Barring injuries he has already played his last game for us but I can't wait until he is **** off to another club so I don't have to keep reading the same shite about him.

I imagine bannan will take on MON status in that no matter where he is he will still be discussed on here for years!!

Bannan's whole game revolves around creativity, that is, picking passes. Saying he's not good at that is like saying Delph is lazy. You're dissing his key selling point and I can't believe you don't know you are doing so.

If Bannan can't pass imaginatively, which is his game, you're saying he's useless. Which of course you are.

Westwood isn't in the team to 'pick a pass'. He's a get-and-giver who can pass a bit too, but it's not his main game, and when it becomes his main game the rest of his game suffers - as it has against Stoke (which we nearly drew except for goal out of nothing), Fulham and Man Utd (admittedly he wasn't great against Liverpool either).

Apart from the stunning pass for the goal but lets purely focus on the negatives

It was a hoof up-field and, if I remember right, he had more than one to aim at if it went wrong.

But surely it registers as a key pass/assist/successful pass or whatever on squawka or whoscored or whatever you use?

I thought it didn't matter what the quality of the passes were as long as they created something?

I find what you've written here absolutely startling considering the value you place on stats and what you've written in the past regarding people questioning the quality of the balls played by Bannan that make up his impressive cross statistics, for example.

To dismiss a key pass as a hoof (which is bullshit FWIW, it wasn't a hoof at all) goes against everything you've written in the Bannan thread.

And you won't admit it, but if Bannan had played that ball in the Liverpool game you'd have gone blind by now...

Bannan's whole game revolves around creativity, that is, picking passes. Saying he's not good at that is like saying Delph is lazy. You're dissing his key selling point and I can't believe you don't know you are doing so.

If Bannan can't pass imaginatively, which is his game, you're saying he's useless. Which of course you are.

Westwood isn't in the team to 'pick a pass'. He's a get-and-giver who can pass a bit too, but it's not his main game, and when it becomes his main game the rest of his game suffers - as it has against Stoke (which we nearly drew except for goal out of nothing), Fulham and Man Utd (admittedly he wasn't great against Liverpool either).

Apart from the stunning pass for the goal but lets purely focus on the negatives

It was a hoof up-field and, if I remember right, he had more than one to aim at if it went wrong.

Haven't said he can't pass, he is a Carrick type of player! Carrick is not a Scholes either.

:crylaugh:

If Westwood proves to be as good as Carrick then we are very very lucky.

No sensible person is expecting that any time soon, but it's easy to see we have a player with that potential.

(admittedly he wasn't great against Liverpool either).

Apart from the stunning pass for the goal

It was a hoof up-field

:lol: It was similar to Rooney's hoof up field to Van Persie on Monday.

I see the drivel about Bannan has found its way into yet another thread. Barring injuries he has already played his last game for us but I can't wait until he is **** off to another club so I don't have to keep reading the same shite about him.

I imagine bannan will take on MON status in that no matter where he is he will still be discussed on here for years!!

By one poster he might be. For me there are many players I have seen wear our great shirt over the years who will live long in the memory for the great contributions they have made. I can safely say Bannan will not be one of them.

(admittedly he wasn't great against Liverpool either).

Apart from the stunning pass for the goal

It was a hoof up-field

:lol: It was similar to Rooney's hoof up field to Van Persie on Monday.

You must be joking!!

Westwoods ball wasnt a hoof, but it certainly wasnt similar to Rooneys. Westwoods was a pass into an area of about 6 players. Didnt it bounce off Gabbys thigh?

I think his point was they were both long passes.

A hoof is just a hopeful punt with no direction.

Westwood's clearly wasn't that. He saw a player to pass to and did it.

I don't think Suave is saying it was as good as Rooney's pass (let's be honest, Rooney's was different gravy). He was just saying it was a pass as opposed to a hoof.

I think his point was they were both long passes.

A hoof is just a hopeful punt with no direction.

Westwood's clearly wasn't that. He saw a player to pass to and did it.

I don't think Suave is saying it was as good as Rooney's pass (let's be honest, Rooney's was different gravy). He was just saying it was a pass as opposed to a hoof.

I read it as he was likening it to Rooneys - If I have misinterpreted, then apologies Suave!

The rest of your post is pretty much similar to mine although I see it that Westwood passed to a group of players, rather than a player. He was obviously wanting it to go Gabby, however I dont believe either Westwood/Gabby had any clue what was going to happen next should it fall to him. I dont mean that as - they cant see into the future - Im just highlighting its all a bit kick n rush/smash n grab!

Christ is it so hard to give our players any credit!!? now it **** bounced off gabby and went to Benteke, who then I'm guessing was actually tying his shoe lace and accidently volleyed it into the net??

It was a great ball, perfectly weighted into the space between the two strikers, he looked up before hand also, it was no hoof ffs! gabby also knew exactly what he was doing and set up tekkers to smash it home.

A great goal by our players!! is that not allowed!!

Check it - looks up, lovely ball, gabby touch, finish, Beautiful! well done boys!! :clap:

Edited by villan_007

Christ is it so hard to give our players any credit!!? now it **** bounced off gabby and went to Benteke, who then I'm guessing was actually tying his shoe lace and accidently volleyed it into the net??

It was a great ball, perfectly weighted into the space between the two strikers, he looked up before hand also, it was no hoof ffs! gabby also knew exactly what he was doing and set up tekkers to smash it home.

Check it - looks up, lovely ball, gabby touch, finish, Beautiful! well done boys!! :clap:

I disagree it was a great intended pass, and Benteke's finish was sublime, but for me gabby tried to bring it down.

The pass was intended for Benteke to flick on, and was over-hit. You don't loft a pass like that for Agbonlahor.

Agbonlahor created this goal with his neat first touch back to Benteke.

It only looks like a spectacular through ball because you don't know what he was really intending.

It's still a good pass and the right idea to try that kind of ball.

Edited by Con

The pass was intended for Benteke to flick on, and was over-hit. You don't loft a pass like that for Agbonlahor.

Agbonlahor created this goal with his neat first touch back to Benteke.

It only looks like a spectacular through ball because you don't know what he was really intending.

It's still a good pass and the right idea to try that kind of ball.

Your whole argument is that we don't know what he was intending. Yet you do? Brilliant stuff.

Your whole argument is that we don't know what he was intending. Yet you do? Brilliant stuff.

Are you claiming Westwood intended the high ball to find Agbonlahor out of that scrum of 4 players - whom Agbonlahor is the shortest - and for Agbonlahor to use his feet to lay the ball off to Benteke to shoot?

The pass was the right idea and he deserves credit for it but I'm sure he won't be claiming it was inch perfect delivery that was meant to have pierced two Liverpool CBs to find Agbonlahor to shoot, with high degree of difficulty, on the volley towards goal.

The most likely explanation for the pass was to connect with Benteke to use his head to flick on to speedy Agbonlahor to run through and shoot.

If it doesn't matter whether he meant it or not (which you couldn't possibly know), why mention it?

It makes no sense why a fan would look straight for reason why it wasn't a good goal instead of praising it first, which is what you did. The mind boggles...