Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He's developing very well and could be the next Carrick.

However im not going to get too excited by the stats against QPR and the good performance against Reading

they are both uber shit teams and in mnay games this season Westwood has been very average

he keeps it simple and keeps us ticking over which I like but it looks like he will never have the range of passing that Carrick has

but my main criticism this season has been his workrate in some games

he is so slow to close players down sometimes and there was a game a few weeks ago where he didnt track a runner when he should have done and it led to a goal

he's good on the ball but poor off it. If we find the right balance with the players next to him then great, otherwise he needs to work more on his defensive game

I disagree with the bolded bit. How can you possibly say that? He sprays it all over the shop.

My favourite moment in the whole season (that wasnt a goal or win or anything) was against Stoke when Westwood caught the ball on his foot, which stoppe dit going out for a throw, then flicked it over the Stoke player.

I doubt he'll have the passing range of Carrick, his passing range isn't particularly impressive. Bannan has a bigger and wider passing range than Westwood. Westwood brings composure and keeps things ticking over for us. His tackling is good enough and on the ball he is decent. He won't be hitting any cross field passes, but he'll be keeping things simple with the occasional good through ball, and that's all we want and need him to do. 

Westwood doesn't cross the ball as well as Bannan does, but then no other player in the Premier League does either. 

I think Westwood's passing range is still developing and will be at least as good as Carrick's. If it's his goal to be like Carrick then it's his goal to have Carrick's passing range, so if he doesn't have that complete passing range now, it will be his ambition to work and work until he gains it.

From what I can tell about Westwood, he has the right attitude so I'm sure he'll succeed.

I think its quite contradictory to praise a player for keeping this current team ticking. It really isnt a team that has played well so to say the person that is keeping us tick has been very good doesn't make sense imo. We have not ticked for the vast majority of the season.

Its ridiculous praise yet again.

Iniesta & Xavi make Barcelona tick.

Modric made Tottenham tick - Now you could say its Bale.

Silva makes Man City tick

They are players that the vast majority of play goes through in their respective teams. You cant say that the vast majority of play goes through Westwood. It hasnt really gone through anyone for years we have had that little of the ball.

No (before anyone having not read my post says it) I do not expect Westwood to be as good as those players. What I am simply pointing out is that teams as poor as us dont have players who make them tick?

Who makes QPR, Reading, Wigan, Sunderland, Norwich, West Ham etc tick? Nobody. They don't tick. Thats why they are down the bottom.

I think you misunderstand what 'makes a team tick' means in footballing terms.

Bale doesn't make Spurs tick. Dembele does. Carrick makes United tick. Without Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta wouldn't have the space to do what they do.

The reoccuring factor. They're all DM's who play the ball simply. When did you last see Busquets run a game obviously? He doesn't.

Imagine a football team is like a clock face. The players who score the goals and make the assists are the hands, but the Carricks/Westwoods/Dembele's are the gears that you can't see. Sure, the hands are important for telling the time, but without the unseen gears, the hands wouldn't work.

• Like 4

I think you misunderstand what 'makes a team tick' means in footballing terms.

Bale doesn't make Spurs tick. Dembele does. Carrick makes United tick. Without Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta wouldn't have the space to do what they do.

The reoccuring factor. They're all DM's who play the ball simply. When did you last see Busquets run a game obviously? He doesn't.

Imagine a football team is like a clock face. The players who score the goals and make the assists are the hands, but the Carricks/Westwoods/Dembele's are the gears that you can't see. Sure, the hands are important for telling the time, but without the unseen gears, the hands wouldn't work.

I dont misunderstand anything - we may have different opinions on 'making a team tick'.

But ok, lets take your viewpoint. Which of the Villa players have had acres of space all season as a result of Westwood? Which of the villa players have worked so well, as a result of the unseen Westwood?

In addition Stefan , as I quite like your link to clocks.

If Ashley Westwood makes us tick then he is the unseen gears of a clock that is slow, showing the wrong time or going backwards. He shouldnt be being praised to the extent where its suggested he makes us tick.

It really is ridiculous and contradictory to praise him like that.

I think its quite contradictory to praise a player for keeping this current team ticking. It really isnt a team that has played well so to say the person that is keeping us tick has been very good doesn't make sense imo. We have not ticked for the vast majority of the season.

Its ridiculous praise yet again.

Iniesta & Xavi make Barcelona tick.

Modric made Tottenham tick - Now you could say its Bale.

Silva makes Man City tick

They are players that the vast majority of play goes through in their respective teams. You cant say that the vast majority of play goes through Westwood. It hasnt really gone through anyone for years we have had that little of the ball.

No (before anyone having not read my post says it) I do not expect Westwood to be as good as those players. What I am simply pointing out is that teams as poor as us dont have players who make them tick?

Who makes QPR, Reading, Wigan, Sunderland, Norwich, West Ham etc tick? Nobody. They don't tick. Thats why they are down the bottom.

Think that's a tad unfair the lad has kept possession really well, when you have the ball you can't concede, when you have a defence that are as poor as defending as we have, you must try and have the ball as much as possible, if you had Barry "Better Than Beckham" Bannan in the team, he would be misplacing a lot more passes and we would have conceded even more goals. Iniesta & Xavi have a team of world class and the best player in the world around them, I don't think Bale makes Tottenham tick (it's just his sheer brilliance), not in the same way Modric did anyway but again look at the quality he had around him Bale, VdV, Parker. Westwood has come into a midfield (from League 1 might I add) with Bannan, Delph (who only very recently has shown any promise), Holman, El Amadi, Ireland, Herd etc how average is that midfield?

All the compliments went to his head.

Lambert will have an opportunity to drop him for Stoke away where Bannan will provide the more attacking option whilst Delph could add greater grit.

All the compliments went to his head.

Lambert will have an opportunity to drop him for Stoke away where Bannan will provide the more attacking option whilst Delph could add greater grit.

Lambert doesn't drop players remember... he only rests them... at least that's what you said about Bannan.

Alternative to your suggestion, I think Lambert will drop Bannan against Stoke to ensure he doesn't suffer a heart attack, and put Westwood alongside Delph and let lose the Sylla. Seems the most stable midfield possibility to me... although to be honest I think all of our midfielders suck to a certain extent... other than Petrov.