Ashley Westwood

Nabby

7 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

I cant wait until he has a good game by some peoples standards, it will have to at least involve a Westwood hat-trick, a couple of assists, 10 tackles and save a penalty...

May I say that is a bit disrespectful for those that have issues with his inclusion in the team.

• Firstly, a hat-trick would be nice but not really his job.
  • secondly a couple of assists would be nice.
  • thirdly, 10 tackles is what I would expect from any aggressive midfield player, who wants to make an impact
  • Fourthly, a penalty save is not really his job

most of us fans who have an issue with him just want him to do his job.

• Like 2

I think he just needs to add a few more goals to his seasons. He is lucky to get a goal a season, but I think in the role he plays, he should be getting a few. He also should be picking up assists or at least being the guy who started the play to score. 

The problem with westwood is he isn't a DM, nor is an attacking mid. A lot of people are confused what his purpose is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I think he just needs to add a few more goals to his seasons. He is lucky to get a goal a season, but I think in the role he plays, he should be getting a few. He also should be picking up assists or at least being the guy who started the play to score. 

The problem with westwood is he isn't a DM, nor is an attacking mid. A lot of people are confused what his purpose is. 

Ditto

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I think he just needs to add a few more goals to his seasons. He is lucky to get a goal a season, but I think in the role he plays, he should be getting a few. He also should be picking up assists or at least being the guy who started the play to score

He definitely does that and I suspect this is the reason he's been a constant in our team all these years. Throughout these 5 seasons, there has been nobody better than him at doing that despite all his other shortcomings. Quite incredible that we've gone so many years without signing someone comparable in that department apart from Veretout who we've now discarded for some reason. Especially this season, now that we've been splashing the cash.

Here's Tim Sherwood (not exactly the paragon of managerial wisdom, but still) on why he realized he was vital to the team, after leaving him out of his first few games.

"He's not going to score you a bag full of goals but if you analyse him, he passes the ball forward more than most.

"He slides it in between the midfield and gets the No.10 on the ball

"He passes it quick and the commentator does not have time to say his name. That's what I like.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

"He's not going to score you a bag full of goals but if you analyse him, he passes the ball Backwards & Sideways more than most.

"He slides it in between our midfield and gets their No.10 on the ball

"He passes it quick and the commentator does not have time to say his name. That's what I like.

Slags the lot'of'em

corrected

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He definitely does that and I suspect this is the reason he's been a constant in our team all these years. Throughout these 5 seasons, there has been nobody better than him at doing that despite all his other shortcomings. Quite incredible that we've gone so many years without signing someone comparable in that department apart from Veretout who we've now discarded for some reason. Especially this season, now that we've been splashing the cash.

Here's Tim Sherwood (not exactly the paragon of managerial wisdom, but still) on why he realized he was vital to the team, after leaving him out of his first few games.

Hang on. Usually Tim Sherwood is mocked for not even being a proper manager. Now his opinion is respected because he rates westwood. 

Funny. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hang on. Usually Tim Sherwood is mocked for not even being a proper manager. Now his opinion is respected because he rates westwood. 

Funny. 

Pretty sure in Keyblades post he specifically points out that Tim Sherwood isnt a mangerial god, he is still a better manager than anyone on VT :rolleyes: #hatersgonnahate

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Funny. 

He even pointed out that it wasn't the best quote to use. But it gives an indication as to why managers keep picking him, even if you don't agree with those managers.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He even pointed out that it wasn't the best quote to use. But it gives an indication as to why managers keep picking him, even if you don't agree with those managers.

Yes, exactly this.

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Pretty sure in Keyblades post he specifically points out that Tim Sherwood isnt a mangerial god, he is still a better manager than anyone on VT :rolleyes: #hatersgonnahate

And this. Thought I was pretty clear.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Nah, I do think I'd be a better manager than Tim actually.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Funny. 

......it is a bit rich, quoting a manager most slagged off.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I do see Westwoods positive points......sadly, not enough for me.......or even more important not enough to challenge for promotion.

I don't follow your point?

Could you post a list of old players better than him so it makes it clearer?

• Like 1

I said this is why I suspect he's been picked all these years by all of our managers, then quoted one of said managers saying exactly that. It's not as some ringing endorsement or anything, just to give insight as to perhaps why all of our managers clearly favoured him. His or any of their respective managerial ineptitude or whether or not he or they were liked are completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TRO said:

May I say that is a bit disrespectful for those that have issues with his inclusion in the team.

• Firstly, a hat-trick would be nice but not really his job.
  • secondly a couple of assists would be nice.
  • thirdly, 10 tackles is what I would expect from any aggressive midfield player, who wants to make an impact
  • Fourthly, a penalty save is not really his job

Isn't this kind of the point though? If, say, jedinak or Chester was to score a hat-trick then everyone would be absolutely full of praise. If Westwood would do it, then I'm sure posts would be along the lines of

'he did OK to score those 3 goals but he missed 1 tackle in the 67th minute so he's not good enough'.

or

'i hope he breaks his leg' (sick bastards)

the criticism of Westwood is just way way over the top sometimes proven by the ridiculous reaction to him when bought on at Barnsley and we conceded. Nothing to do with RDM at all, it was Westwoods fault. Lol

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't follow your point?

Could you post a list of old players better than him so it makes it clearer?

I don't understand what you are on about.?

21 hours ago, TRO said:

thirdly, 10 tackles is what I would expect from any aggressive midfield player, who wants to make an impact

Just popping in to highlight the silly expectations...

10 tackles is what you would expect?

Idrissa Gueye leads the over all premier league ranking with 5.2 per game. players in 2nd to 10th place average between 4 and 3.

Massimo Luongo tops the Championship with 3.7, with the top 10 finishing in the high 2's.

Westwood and our man-mountain-wins-everything Jedinak are in 1.6 and 1.8 respectively - both in the top 100 players in the division. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Just popping in to highlight the silly expectations...

10 tackles is what you would expect?

Idrissa Gueye leads the over all premier league ranking with 5.2 per game. players in 2nd to 10th place average between 4 and 3.

Massimo Luongo tops the Championship with 3.7, with the top 10 finishing in the high 2's.

Westwood and our man-mountain-wins-everything Jedinak are in 1.6 and 1.8 respectively - both in the top 100 players in the division. 

I don't go for Stats.....tackles/Challenges depends on your interpretation or the interpretation of the data analysts

but you know what getting stuck in means.....and what winning the ball means.

He don't do enough for us to be a threat to the top teams.

If you want to tread water.....He is fine.

......but there are others too....we just happen to be talking about him.

In my view despite the good start, we are not aggressive enough as a team to be more of a threat.....perhaps SB will work on that.....after all its still WIP

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1