Ashley Westwood

Nabby

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He was part of the worst midfield ever therefore he's a bad midfielder is such poor logic. You know who else was part of that midfield? Fabian Delph, who played in a CL semifinal last season. Must be terrible too.

Man city, seem to think so

23 hours ago, poitier said:

There were plenty of games where we looked good in midfield and controlled large parts of games. I can't think of any times when we really looked good at the back or up front. Yes, the midfield plays a part in both, but in many games the midfield performance was let down at one or both ends of the pitch.

"control" is a word that i would certainly not associate with our midfield of last season.

The midfield is the conduit between Defence and attack, so it is crucial to the team and instrumental in its success or failure.

In most cases the champions of any league have amongst the best midfield in their competition.

The RESULT could be argued is directly reliant on Attack or defence as that is where the ball enters the net from.

In terms of PERFORMANCE which is a crucial barometer in the overall status of the team and has a colossal impact on results......the midfield plays an monumental part.

Our midfield represented the results and performances we acheived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commander said:

Complete Nonsense. Both of their midfields absolutely shit on ours from a huge height. Claudio Yacob and even Cattermole are 5 times the player Westwood will ever be and please don't think i'm praising them, Cattermole is horrid - yet is still significantly superior to Westwood. 

Westwood has been the same westwood this season as he has been since he's been here; average when no pressure, horrific when pressure. Oh but he played well against **** Rotherham so he's great in this league :rolleyes:

Completely different players are Westwood, Cattermole and Yacob - I'd rather have Westwood though.

In any case, since you dislike the guy so much, I'd rather have Gueye than either of them too.

Edited by bobzy

I said it before, I dont hate the guy like some others in squad but fact is he is not very good. If he stays fit he will make his 150th league appearance for Villa this season which is absolute astonishing

• Like 2

I think he'll change a lot of people's minds this season, not just because we're playing against weaker opposition, but also because he'll be playing with better players, who'll be more tuned into his wavelength.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think he'll change a lot of people's minds this season, not just because we're playing against weaker opposition, but also because he'll be playing with better players, who'll be more tuned into his wavelength.

Mainly because of weaker opposition. 

If we get promoted I wouldn't want him anywhere near the first team. Proven to be not good enough at that level. 

But important member of the squad this year. 

Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't make it nonsense. He was better with Benteke, Delph and Cleverly in the side, and he'll be better this term with players like Jedinak, McCormack and others, in fact he's already showing this to be the case this season, although obviously playing against weaker opponents plays it's part too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

What wavelength is that?

"Receive ball, look forward.. no no can't play a pass into feet, look sideways... dither... dither.. uh oh midfield has been closed down, need to play it back to centre half for a long ball upfield"

?

• Like 4

I've said this before, but I think midfield is the hardest position to understand for a lot of football fans. Seems midfielders don't get rated unless they're scoring goals, dribbling past players, or making lots of tackles in front of the defense. Players with Westwood's style only get attention if they happen to play for one of the 'big clubs'. Probably a British football thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't make it nonsense. He was better with Benteke, Delph and Cleverly in the side, and he'll be better this term with players like Jedinak, McCormack and others, in fact he's already showing this to be the case this season, although obviously playing against weaker opponents plays it's part too.

He was better with benteke and Co..... We were a better team so obviously there were more positives to take at certain times. It was them making him look good by dominating games etc.

It's such a lame defence from his supporters. He's better with better players around him. Course he is! Who isn't? It doesn't make him good enough tho and it certainly doesn't mean that he's got some unique wavelength that nobody in the side could get to grips with last season.

He's never ever put a stamp on a football match so how you can highlight this so called 'wavelength' that only better players can be on terms with is absolutely laughable.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Players with Westwood's style only get attention if they happen to play for one of the 'big clubs'. Probably a British football thing.

It has nothing to do with british football. It's because those players are actually effective with that style of play.

• Like 1

I didn't say you don't get football if you don't rate Westwood, (and I wouldn't say thing like that, because I'm sure there are heaps of things I don't get about football). Just that a lot of British fans haven't been educated to appreciate his style of play.

• Like 1