Ashley Westwood

Nabby

and Wilshere a poor mans Ramsey

They play different roles. Ramsey is playing further forward than Wiltshire this season. Though this is now quite off topic!

True this is about Westwood of course. Our midfield is probably our weakest area now our defence has improved.

Maybe it always was our midfield. The amount of times last year i saw Vlaar being pulled out of Position to cover for them and then we conceded. To the naked eye it prob looked all Vlaars fault but allot of the time it wasnt. Our new defence coach has prob told him to stay in CB now

Everton's first goal was due to this.

Im not sure about this and will probably be corrected but was Liverpools goal this season something similar

Westwood lost Osman, Vlaar came rushing out to cover, he played it past him and Lukaku scores.

Westwood looked ok last season when we did the passing game, when were quick and direct he is just a passenger. Doesnt help that he has no pace or defensive ability, something that delph and sylla both have a bit of.

Thats a really good point. We tend to be more long ball this season

He wrote a spot in the Birmingham Mail tonight, citing the progress we have made and such a tough start we have had. he may be right, but the next few fixtures won't have an excuse tag attached to them.

That may be a bit harsh of me, but we have taken 3 points from our home games so far and won 10 in 43, so if he thinks that's acceptable, he's in for a few surprises.

If you can beat Arsenal and Man city, you can beat anyone.

consistency and application is what we need to get right....some of those games against Liverpool,Newcastle,Everton and Spurs, there was points in them for us, we just failed to get them

He wrote a spot in the Birmingham Mail tonight, citing the progress we have made and such a tough start we have had. he may be right, but the next few fixtures won't have an excuse tag attached to them.

That may be a bit harsh of me, but we have taken 3 points from our home games so far and won 10 in 43, so if he thinks that's acceptable, he's in for a few surprises.

If you can beat Arsenal and Man city, you can beat anyone.

consistency and application is what we need to get right....some of those games against Liverpool,Newcastle,Everton and Spurs, there was points in them for us, we just failed to get them

Yes 11 pts from 10 games on paper is not very good but when taken into account the teams we have played its probably above par. Our away for of 2 wins 2 draws and 1 defeat is excellent. Now is the time for us to start picking up a few wins beginning saturday, I just read the Tom Ross article. How stupid is he. West Brom on 13 pts are on vourse for 50 pts and we are on course for 41 pts. Has he not noticed we have had much more difficult fixtures. 

Im still not convinced about Westwood. He got a lot of praise last season but I didnt rate hime that much. He still doesnt bring much to the party as far as I'm concerned and he never really did last year either.

He really is a take it or leave it player for me, I think he is slow and lightweight

He passes the ball sideways and keeps things ticking over

Every team has one he does nothing spectacular but is still young and has room for improvement

I dont think he will improve much. He is 23/24, I think this is about as good as it gets with Westwood. He switches off a lot when he is defending

For me he is the kind of player that goes unnoticed in the middle of the team but still the kind of player that you need

I've noticed him a lot this season.   For all the wrong reasons.

He's 23. He was getting praise last season because he deserved it. The turnaround of opinion on here is shockingly knee jerk, and is as much down to a succession of games where we haven't scored more than anything else. 

Against West Ham Westwood did a through ball to Weimann that nobody else in our team could do. If Weimann had scored people would be once again praising Westwood. 

• Like 2

For me he is the kind of player that goes unnoticed in the middle of the team but still the kind of player that you need

I've noticed him a lot this season.   For all the wrong reasons.

That's when you notice a player like that. Happens to me too. However, I tend to agree with Richard that a player like him is needed. And we have no-one better at the moment.

He's 23. He was getting praise last season because he deserved it. The turnaround of opinion on here is shockingly knee jerk, and is as much down to a succession of games where we haven't scored more than anything else. 

Against West Ham Westwood did a through ball to Weimann that nobody else in our team could do. If Weimann had scored people would be once again praising Westwood. 

I didnt think he was very good last season. I seem to be in a minority though. Must have missed something?

I didnt think he was very good last season. I seem to be in a minority though. Must have missed something?

yes

He wasn't any better defensively last season really but people chose to ignore this...and some still do.

*Awaits the 'we get it, you hate him' replies*

Edited by Isa

Our midfield really is hopeless, it neither creates many chances for the forwards or protects the defence.  As for goals scored from the midfielders themselves, these are rarer than rocking horse muck.