Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Good thing is that QPR players might want to do something to their self .. And Redknapp to do some good results at the end of the season ..

Well I begin to fear that we don't get something till the end of the season ?!

I think Wigan's hopes rest with the WBA game. If they lose that one the most they are likely to get before the last weekend is 3 points. I think they may get a point so that would leave them on 36 points before our game so 6 points from our next 3 games would leave Wigan unable to get above us. Anything less would see us needing to get a point or 3 from them on the last day and I would rather it did not go down to that. Should the worst happen and Albion do roll over for them then we would need 2 points from the next 3 games to still be in with a shout of ending the season above them. For me it has to start with a win on Monday.    

I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's arse - McLeish's position was untenable, it was a poor idea from the start and he had no respect from the fans or players - Houllier was ill and couldn't continue - McAllister and MacDonald were only ever caretakers.

I'd have been happy with Houllier staying, I'll be happier with Lambert staying - keeping a manager for longer than a season is a good idea - it promotes the ability to plan and carry out a plan and for me a manager who is a six out of ten dog average Premier league manager, given three years will achieve more than three seven out of ten managers given a season each.

It's changing the manager every year that has gotten us where we are, it's the complete lack of continuity and plan that has brought us to the edge of the precipice - sacking this one, giving up on a plan, would be jumping, not falling.

I think Lambert has shown some promise, he's made adjustments to the team throughout the season to try to address the shortcomings of the squad and has finished up with a system that allows us to get our best players on the field - he's been pragmatic, but he's also shown some ambition in his selections and a desire to get at teams. He's struggled with results, but I think pretty much any manager would have, if we stay up, then I think we can make a fairer judgement on that next season.

For now, I think we've bottomed out, I think we're pointed in the right direction in lots of ways, performances now are better than they've been for a while, results in the last few months have been reasonable too, our wage bill is under control and we're almost back to a position where we can start looking upwards again. We have one hurdle to overcome, it's a big one and it's not going to be easy, but if we can manage it, then I think there are brighter days ahead. 

That's just my opinion - I'd be interested to see if you're able to articulate yours.

Best post in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages!

And why is everyone so worried about Sunderland? It's fecking Sunderland. We will win. I'm very confident of that. 

We won on sky a couple of months ago against West Ham. Being on Sky really has no bearing. We will play our game, and we will win. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's arse - McLeish's position was untenable, it was a poor idea from the start and he had no respect from the fans or players - Houllier was ill and couldn't continue - McAllister and MacDonald were only ever caretakers.

I'd have been happy with Houllier staying, I'll be happier with Lambert staying - keeping a manager for longer than a season is a good idea - it promotes the ability to plan and carry out a plan and for me a manager who is a six out of ten dog average Premier league manager, given three years will achieve more than three seven out of ten managers given a season each.

It's changing the manager every year that has gotten us where we are, it's the complete lack of continuity and plan that has brought us to the edge of the precipice - sacking this one, giving up on a plan, would be jumping, not falling.

I think Lambert has shown some promise, he's made adjustments to the team throughout the season to try to address the shortcomings of the squad and has finished up with a system that allows us to get our best players on the field - he's been pragmatic, but he's also shown some ambition in his selections and a desire to get at teams. He's struggled with results, but I think pretty much any manager would have, if we stay up, then I think we can make a fairer judgement on that next season.

For now, I think we've bottomed out, I think we're pointed in the right direction in lots of ways, performances now are better than they've been for a while, results in the last few months have been reasonable too, our wage bill is under control and we're almost back to a position where we can start looking upwards again. We have one hurdle to overcome, it's a big one and it's not going to be easy, but if we can manage it, then I think there are brighter days ahead. 

That's just my opinion - I'd be interested to see if you're able to articulate yours.

Best post in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages!

And why is everyone so worried about Sunderland? It's fecking Sunderland. We will win. I'm very confident of that. 

We won on sky a couple of months ago against West Ham. Being on Sky really has no bearing. We will play our game, and we will win. 

But we're at home. We're shit at home. I wouldn't be surprised if we won but it's far from certain!

anyone who thinks QPR or Reading will get a result for us are kidding. Their gone. Their players are on holidays and their best players/manager will be asking their agent for a move away. They dont care about getting a result. They will be rolled over every weekend till its over. (except when they play each other obviously :D)

The way i see it There are 4 teams in the mix

Wigan

Villa

Newcastle

Norwich

Stoke sadly are safe, saints should have enough in the tank.

You really think Sunderland are safe now even though they have the same points as Newcastle and one less than Norwich?

They are in form yes, but it will only take one loss for the gloss of the psychotic Italian to wear off and the wheels to fall off. Hopefully it will be inflicted by us.

Saturday's results didn't really change anything in the Monte Carlo analysis...

QPR: 32% 19th, 68% 20th

Reading: 68% 19th, 32% 20th

Wigan: 40% stay up, 60% 18th

Villa: 62% stay up, 38% 18th

Newcastle: 99% stay up, 1% 18th

Norwich: 99% stay up, 1% 18th

Over the course of the 100,000 runs, I have our average finish being 17.0 (Wigan's is 17.5; Newcastle's 15.3)

I'm more confident of the Norwich away game than Monday night if I'm honest. We're shit at home and we freeze when we're on the telly. Monday could be horrendous .

A lot of what you say I find myself agreeing with

We may ironically find ourselves not bothered with a Wigan win on the last day as it may send Newcastle down. Struggling to see the barcodes get another point all season after yesterday

I think our worst fears of needing something at Wigan are going to come true. I think they will beat get at least 4 points from the Baggies and Swansea, meaning they will be on at least 36 points when we play them. I think that the most we will get from our next 3 games is 5 points, meaning that we will be on a maximum of 39 points when we go to the DW. I know that puts us in the driving seat but we would still need some kind of result there and I just don't trust this current Villa side to get one!

My biggest hope is that we win the next two games and get to 40 points. I think that could be vital to our survival.

We have to get a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games & then we'll still probably need a point from either Chelsea or Wigan.... If we can somehow win the next 2 that would be much more preferable. I just hope we overturn the cocky Italian who continues to disrespect this club with comments like "why would i be bothered about going to a place like Villa Park when i have just come out of St James's Park".. He really does look down at this club & it's fans

Quite bizarre how he only managed to reach the massive heights of playing for West Ham Utd :huh: well in this country at least... So yes i take offence to an Italian who achieved comparatively little in this country basically disrespecting this club & its fans as an irrelevance!

Edited by danceoftheshamen

"yes i take offence to an Italian who achieved comparatively little in this country basically disrespecting this club & its fans as an irrelevance!". Yes, I also recall him making it clear he thought we were going down after we had beaten Swindon at their place with his wild post match display. I would like to do him for a second time this season as well danceoftheshamen!   

• Like 1

The way i see it There are 4 teams in the mix

Wigan

Villa

Newcastle

Norwich

Stoke sadly are safe, saints should have enough in the tank.

You really think Sunderland are safe now even though they have the same points as Newcastle and one less than Norwich?

They are in form yes, but it will only take one loss for the gloss of the psychotic Italian to wear off and the wheels to fall off. Hopefully it will be inflicted by us.

You're right I totally overlooked Sunderland so that makes 5 teams in the mix

We may ironically find ourselves not bothered with a Wigan win on the last day as it may send Newcastle down. Struggling to see the barcodes get another point all season after yesterday

Everyone said that about Sunderland and Stoke, then look what happened over the course of 2 games. Newcastle are 3 points ahead of us, with a better GD, they will most likely get 3 points from somewhere to make them safe. The fact is we were too far behind the likes of Stoke, Norwich, S'land and N'castle and it would/will have required a massive collapse for us to finish above any of them. It's between us and Wigan, we just have to do everything we can to not allow it to go down the the final game.

I will become a Baggies fan for one time only next weekend.

Everyone said that about Sunderland and Stoke, then look what happened over the course of 2 games. Newcastle are 3 points ahead of us, with a better GD, they will most likely get 3 points from somewhere to make them safe. The fact is we were too far behind the likes of Stoke, Norwich, S'land and N'castle and it would/will have required a massive collapse for us to finish above any of them. It's between us and Wigan, we just have to do everything we can to not allow it to go down the the final game.

I will become a Baggies fan for one time only next weekend.

I've been a Baggies fan for last week , this week and the week after that !!

anyone who thinks QPR or Reading will get a result for us are kidding. Their gone. Their players are on holidays and their best players/manager will be asking their agent for a move away. They dont care about getting a result. They will be rolled over every weekend till its over. (except when they play each other obviously :D)

Totally disagree. I'll call it the Andy Carrol syndrome. Players for both clubs will be playing for a move out of there to a prem club or good championship club as there will be big clear outs at both clubs. Same as Andy Carrolls coming in to form in past 3 games.

Well .. It's QPR who we would like them to beat Newcastle ..

Other than that I don't think any of them has something to do with the Relegation battle !

How more of y'all aren't talking about Norwich is a real surprise to me. Their final three fixtures are against us, West Brom, and Man City. If we beat them next weekend, I think it's extremely realistic to wonder if they will get another point, especially after seeing West Brom pound Southampton yesterday afternoon while Norwich lost to a really poor Stoke side.

In my view, it's more likely that we will beat Norwich and draw with Sunderland than the other way around, and if we are in fact level (at least!) with them after next weekend, I'd back us to get more out of Chelsea and Wigan than they do out of West Brom and Man City.

If we survive, I think we will have done so by getting enough to finish above Norwich, as well.