Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I was very optimistic about our chances of staying up, today's results have knocked that a little bit.

Ok, so Wigan got a win, but in a game that they were expected to win, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are 'doing a Wigan' again. I think we will be this season's Wigan, results have been improving, confidence is up and Delph back from suspension. I can see us finishing strongly and being clear of trouble before the final game, even if we fail to pick up any points tomorrow.

Our glass is half full.

Edited by poitier

Since FSW took over at Chelsea they've lost to QPR, Newcastle and Southampton while going two goals up and then drawing against Reading and Southampton. Meanwhile, they beat us 8-0.

words removed.

Since FSW took over at Chelsea they've lost to QPR, Newcastle and Southampton while going two goals up and then drawing against Reading and Southampton. Meanwhile, they beat us 8-0.

words removed.

I guess we were a little bit complacent against Chelsea.  ;)

Sunderland are falling like a brick in water and they have lost Fletcher and Cattermole for the rest of the season. Couple that with the fact that MON is a complete **** tool of a manager and that should see them down along with QPR and Reading.

That's the bottom three I've been predicting for a while, nothing that happened today has changed that.

I expect nothing out of tomorrow and it still won't change anything. In my estimation we actually have to pick up remarkably few points between now and the end of the season due to the gap Reading and QPR have to make up and my expectation of Sunderland picking up virtually no points from now on.

Not great dropping into bottom 3, but at least Norwich, Sunderland, and Newcastle are a bit closer.

I think Sunderland are more likely to go than Wigan. Apparently they won 7 out of first ten under MON,

and 7 in 44 since. We need a point tomorrow minimum, to maintain momentum.

Newcastle's run-in is looking interesting also. My glass is still half full.  

If we can draw against Liverpool and win at Stoke we will be level on points with Stoke (assuming they get beat at Everton now). So many possibilities still. Norwich and Stoke are in it due to their form. Sunderland have a tough run in but it's down to us to get the points

Edited by villanwesty88

Just noticed that, with the exception of Wigan v Norwich and Swansea v Spurs, all games this weekend are bottom 10 v top 10. A tough weekend for all clubs in the relegation-threatened zone and a bit of a bummer that Wigan have a comparatively easy game. Norwich are useless away from home as well - 10 points from 15 games and only 12 goals. Best hope is for a draw.

>How long would your orgasm last if we went down with them?

We need to be concentrating on our own prospects of survival in this thread,. Silly stuff about rejoicing over other clubs going down is properly done in the "other football" threads (although actually I think celebrating the relegation of any club - with the obvious exception of SHA - is in poor taste).

Slightly contradictory Mr Briny?

I don't for a second agree with your notion that the relegation thread shouldn't include teams around us that could be relegated instead of us... a nutty theory IMO.

You've missed the point of course.

It would be an odd relegation thread that didn't assess the relative performance of our rivals - and that now definitely includes Sunderland. We've got to be not so crap as three of them to survive so of course we will be monitoring closely how all the teams in range are doing.

That is very different from people saying how much they want a particular club to go down, especially if it is in fact just an outburst of the old obsessive MON hatred which eventually infects every thread on this site. I don't care who goes down as long as it's not us. I'd be perfectly happy if Newcastle went down and Sunderland stayed up as long as we weren't in the bottom 3. I'd be equally happy if it was Sunderland who went down as long as we didn't. Or Wigan or Norwich or Southampton

But I suspect some posters have lost sight of the main issue and have just fallen to indulging their usual obsession with MON and that is very boring.

But I suspect some posters have lost sight of the main issue and have just fallen to indulging their usual obsession with MON and that is very boring.

especially if it is in fact just an outburst of the old obsessive MON hatred which eventually infects every thread on this site.

People can share their opinion just like you do with MON (which you also conveniently put across in most threads).. If you find it "boring" fine just ignore it.

Don't understand what the fuss is.

I've just done BBC predictor and... I have us going down on 38 points - with Wigan beating us on the last day. I've got us picking up a point tomorrow and against Sunderland with wins over Fulham and Norwich and defeats to Stoke, Man U, Chelsea and Wigan. Interestingly I've got Sunderland finishing up in 13th with 42 points. West Ham and Stoke I can see getting dragged down into it - they both have a tough run-in from here.

It's in our hands, really. The Sunderland, Stoke and Norwich games are all particularly huge.