Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I don't think anyone envisaged Southampton and Wigan getting back to back wins which effectively neutralised our wins over Reading & QPR . The damage was done much earlier in the season im afraid

I don't think anyone envisaged Southampton and Wigan getting back to back wins which effectively neutralised our wins over Reading & QPR . The damage was done much earlier in the season im afraid

agree, whilst i kinda knew wigan would get two wins, who the **** would have bet on southampton picking up back to back wins over liverpool and chelsea. 

weve put ourself in this situation with results like today, had we not thrown away points in winning, and even drawing positions we would be comftable mid table, what really feels like a kick in the balls was the general attitude the players had, its worrying that even with 10 minutes to go, we still didnt have the courage to pile forward in search of an equiliser.

hopefully fulham can atleast get a draw at home to qpr tomorrow, 

next weekends games

stoke v villa

reading v southampton

chelsea v sunderland

qpr v wigan

if we can pick up a win at stoke (stokes last win was against reading on February 9th), reading and soton draw, qpr draw against wigan and chelsea beat sunderland, things will be looking up again. not confident about stopping up though

This has been coming for a few years now. having been in relegation battles for last two seasons and getting out of them - you can't really grumble if one comes and gets you.......question is has lambert shown enough that he is the best man to lead us from the championship ?

In recent times I can't recall a relegated manager leading a team straight back up. 

Should have got rid of Lambert when it would have helped.

And when would that have been exactly?

I am supremely confident we will stay up but if we don't I certainly wouldn't be placing the blame totally at Lamberts door. He has had to cut his cloth to suit and in terms of what we have had to spend, the amount of players we needed and what we have been able to pay in wages then he has done as well as could be expected.

In terms of today I am just back and it was a very disappointing performance. I thought we could take some of the momentum from the last two games into this but we just never really got going. It seems the International break did us no favors. The crowd were also very flat and quite which was a shame as I believe we can make a difference.

I expected at best a draw from todays game and the same goes for next week. Overall though I still see QPR, Reading and Sunderland dropping as I am confident we will get wins against Fulham, Sunderland and Norwich which will see us safe.

Edited by markavfc40

In recent times I can't recall a relegated manager leading a team straight back up

Good point.

If we are relegated then Lambert should be sacked straight away. Make up for the mistake of not sacking him earlier.

Much tempered by the choice Faulkner\Lerner would come up with - with villa a newly relegated championship club. - who knows Lerner might even get his long term favourite steve Mclaren..

And when would that have been exactly?

At any point during the awful period around Xmas.

You don't think any manager could have done things differently?

He has had to cut his cloth to suit and in terms of what we have had to spend, the amount of players we needed and what we have been able to pay in wages then he has done as well as could be expected.

That's just rubbish excuse making for a very poor job he's done this season.

He did not have to build a whole new defence? He did not have to spend the limited budget he was given the way he did.

And after spending his money that way he didn't have to play a limited diamond midfield formation and he certainly didn't have to play a formation with 3 central defenders.

He's built this squad and he's set the team up in a way that has cost us a lot this season.

The responsibility for such an awful season so far is mainly on him with Lerner sharing a portion of the blame.

The historical omens don't look good for our match with Stoke. Results at the Britannia Stadium since 2008/9 are 2-3, 0-0, 1-2, 0-0.

Just have to hope that Stoke's current rubbish run of form continues next week. Got a feeling we really need a win there.

Edited by briny_ear

Imagine if we somehow stay up and then have to go through this shit again next season

I'm not sure i could cope

Yes, imagine that indeed.

It's not thinkable that we could have more than one season where relegation is haunting us all season and we watch shit week in week out.

Oh, wait a minute....................

This has been coming for a few years now. having been in relegation battles for last two seasons and getting out of them - you can't really grumble if one comes and gets you.......question is has lambert shown enough that he is the best man to lead us from the championship ?

In recent times I can't recall a relegated manager leading a team straight back up. 

McLeish

What an awful season

Worst GD in league -26

Worst home form in league (lost 8 at home)

1 win in 15 home attempts vs Liverpool

Now a tricky game at stoke where we never win

It's hard to predict anything at the moment really. In the last 6 games we've lost 3 and won 3. The games we won are games you'd probably expect us to win and the games we lost are ones you'd probably expect us to lose. Looking at things positively, we haven't lost to a team outside the top 7 since January. The next two games are crucial.