Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

How costly are those 6 points we gave Southampton. They've got to be looking over their shoulder, at home to Liverpool & Chelsea next two games, hopefully they get no points from that.

Relegation run-in:

Although not as easy as 'on paper the result will be' to predict, it is useful to now what the run in is for each team to the remainder of the season.

As it stands:
Aston Villa will play teams that average 11th in the league (2 of top 6)
QPR will play teams that average 12th in the league (2 of top 6)
Wigan will play teams that average 11th in the league (2 of top 6) (ignoring Man City game in hand and being optimistic and saying they'll lose it)
Reading will play teams that average 10th in the league (3 of top 6)
Southampton will play teams that average 10th in the league (2 of top 6)

So you could argue there is not much in it. QPR have the nicest run in and, with the cash they have spent and Harry in charge, I fancy them to survive. Reading look in big trouble. Southampton have got a very good chance of being pulled into it. Which leaves us and Wigan fighting for the final relegation spot. Final day decider anyone?!

Unfortunately, I still think we're going to fall just short.

I just can't see QPR going down

ah come on... there's no way they're going to stay up, even now. they just gave themselves too much to do. they needed consistent title winning form from the middle of last month to have a hope, and they just won't keep that up

This is cliched, short-sighted nonsense. If they beat us they'll be 1 point from safety with another 24 points to play for. They probably have a better chance of us of staying up given their players and recent form. I'd take a draw now from next weeks match now.

Edited by supernova26

I just can't see QPR going down

ah come on... there's no way they're going to stay up, even now. they just gave themselves too much to do. they needed consistent title winning form from the middle of last month to have a hope, and they just won't keep that up

This is cliched, short-sighted nonsense. If they beat us they'll be 1 point from safety with another 24 points to play for. They probably have a better chance of us of staying up given their players and recent form. I'd take a draw now from next weeks match now.

How is it cliched? For them to stay up they'll need to have at least equalled top 4 form for a long stretch of the season. If they were capable of that they wouldn't be bottom of the league

Been convinced since the Everton game that we'd stay up and obviously todays result hasn't changed that. I'm confident we will beat QPR and if we do I'd like to think we can then get something from Liverpool at home. Then with Stoke and Fulham to follow it is not beyond the realms that with in the next 4 games we could be well clear.

With QPR in mind it would be nice to see a big crowd at VP right behind the players. It is a massive game for us.

• Like 1

Need three more wins

Was thinking this actually, provided we get a few draws too & don't lose against QPR or Wigan.

That'd put us on 39 points which may well be enough (considering we are minus 1 point with our inferior GD 39 is the equivalent of 38 for us)

I thought the QPR game would be big and have been looking forward to going to see it for a while, but now it is finally coming up, and seeing just how close we are and how important it could be, i am very very nervous and will be a nervous wreck for most of the game. Hope against hope that we can push ourselves up the league with a win there and a surprise result against Liverpool. that will stick us on 33 which would stick us right in amongst a lot of teams who i thought were just too far ahead of us a few weeks back. teams like southampton, sunderland, norwich, fulham, newcastle, these are teams i think we should aim to be catching up with, if we keep looking over our shoulders for the rest of the season then we've got no room for error, we need at least 1 team to cushion us from relegation for me to feel just a bit more comfortable

I reckon Southampton will get dragged in to the mire in a couple of weeks tops. One of the mackems or the Geordie's will too. A draw will do against QPR and against Wigan as long as we pick up 3 or 4 wins. (As Richard says above)

Need three more wins

Was thinking this actually, provided we get a few draws too & don't lose against QPR or Wigan.

That'd put us on 39 points which may well be enough (considering we are minus 1 point with our inferior GD 39 is the equivalent of 38 for us)

39 points will be more than enough. 36 will be enough

Need three more wins

Only thing that worries me with that is thats the equivalent of 35 for us with GD which is a bit close for my liking.. I still think more like 37 (38 for us) personally...may need less but wouldn't be confident of that.

Could really do with Sunderland to be dragged into it. We have to play them and its hard to know how they'll respond to the downward slide.

Yes and I think the quality of their players are very poor. See Graham was taken off in the 57th min today as well. Typical MON signing

Need three more wins

Only thing that worries me with that is thats the equivalent of 35 for us with GD which is a bit close for my liking.. I still think more like 37 (38 for us) personally...may need less but wouldn't be confident of that.

well, if we look at it in terms of games left and points needed to get to both 35 (what I think will be safe) and 38 (what you think will be safe it looks like this:

QPR - Need 12 points from 9 games to get to 35, or 15 points to get to 38 (more than half the points they've accrued all season)

Reading - Need 12 points from 9 games to get to 35, or 15 points to get to 38 (more than half the points they've accrued all season)

Wigan - Need 11 points from 10 games to get to 35, or 14 points to get to 38

Villa - Need 8 points to from 9 games to get to 35, or 11 to get to 38

Southampton - Need 7 points from 9 games to get to 35, or 10 to get to 38

Newcastle - Need 5 points from 10 games to get to 35, or 8 to get to 38

Sunderland - Need 5 points from 9 games to get to 35, or 8 to get to 38

That's probably where the involvement stops, barring an absolute catastrophe from Norwich, West Ham, Stoke or Fulham. So if we managed to get to 35, for goal difference to come into it, whoever is 3rd last would need to hit those points targets. QPR and Reading won't get the points they need to stay up - I know some people think QPR will, but they'd need to play like title chasers to do it - which means, IMO of course, the worst performing of the rest would need to hit the outlined targets. That's the WORST of the rest, not the best. 8 points and we're as good as safe, 3 wins and we can put our feet up

I can't see it being 38 points for safety, even with our goal difference. For that to happen (assuming we write off the bottom 2, which I'm happy to do), then the worst performing of the rest, not counting us, needs to hit the outlined targets for 38 points. That's not really likely.

The only thing that'll see us down is if WE'RE the worst performing of us, Wigan, Southampton, Newcastle and Sunderland for the rest of the season

Edited by P3te

I can see Reading imploding, next 2 games versus Man Utd & Arsenal will mean they will be stuck on 23 pts & 7 defeats. I can see us beating QPR by the odd goal and Liverpool at least a point, if we can keep Suarez out of the game. Wigan are not doing much in the league either and maybe their cup exploits will cause them more harm.

Southampton havent got a hard run in so i see them safe. Sunderland have got a derby with Newcastle, Man Utd, Everton, Chelsea,Tottenham and us to play, the way they are playing i can see them taking no points from those games. 

18. Sunderland

19. Wigan

20. Reading