The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

2 points would be a nail in the coffin

We need 9 ideally, 7 minimum as we have 3 tough games after

There is nothing to choose between us and Reeading in terms of quality and I can see them scoring against us as they are quite pacy going forward and Lamberts werckless gung ho approach means we are really open at the back. The QPR game is a typical game for Villa to go and perform badly and get turned over, they will probably thump us and I can see the Stoke game being a mind numingly boring goalless draw, I just cant see us breaking Stoke down and our fall back plan of lump it to Benteke wont work against them.

If we get two points from those three games this place might finally approach a sense of serene agreement.

Everyone in a numb sense of shock? I could imagine that as well :P

I watched our game against West Ham in a West Ham pub a couple of seasons back. It was the game at Upton Park at the end of the season where both sides were in danger of going down but West Ham were bottom I think.

When Gabby scored the winner right at the end the whole pub went deathly silent. It was quite a surreal experience for what was a crowded and rowdy pub full of noisy hammers a few mins earlier.

In the summer if you suggested relegation would be an issue you were laughed at and mocked.

Now a third into the season, worst start in the history of the club and in the bottom 3 if you didn't expect it you're laughed at and mocked.

Seems pretty hypocritical.

Haha - who else is thinking QPR will get their first win of the season against us?

I'd bet a shit load on it

We always make it so easy for teams

If you need to break a duck just play Aston Villa

We need to win all our games in the mini league down the bottom we have already lost 1 against Southampton cannot afford any more **** ups imo

Lambert joined us on 2 June, which is pretty damned early for a premier league manager to start a new job in the summer. He had obviously been having discussions with the board about the squad prior to that. Any manager should be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of his squad over a full pre-season. So a central plank of your argument sems to fall.

As I say, you (and many other posters) are guessing that Lerner will make lots more money available in January and that Lambert will be able to buy better quality players than he has done so far, all of whom will be happy to join us for less than £40k a week, and that these will instantly gel into a better team.

We shall see - I'm not ruling out that this may happen but it would be sensible to recognise there are many risks to this approach and none of it may happen if the money doesn't arrive in the first place.

not sure that i'd call it a central plank failing... having a squad for pre-season is one thing, i agree, and PL will have learnt a lot about attitude and the like.... however, having your squad playing competitive games together is quite another... it seems to me that we are only now starting to see a consistent first XI appearing and it doesn't have barry bannan as captain...

as far as january, i'm not actually making any assumptions about how much will be made available or who PL will try and sign up. What I was saying, and perhaps the length of my post stopped it coming out clearly, is that with the squad he has now, as opposed to the players he had at his disposal when he took over, his approach to transfers is likely to be very different.

Over the summer, it was about filling the squad out in terms of numbers the best he could with the budget he had - remember he only had something like 16 - 18 players other than the academy, and in that 18 were hutton, warnock, collins, dunne and delfouneso.

Now that he has a full squad, its about improving the quality of the starting XI, on the basis that he now has a squad of 25, all of whom could play on any given day. My understanding may be wrong, but we now have a full squad of 25 players registered - if he adds new players, he will have to drop others out of the squad. this is not an issue he has had to deal with before.

On that basis, we shall see how he goes in January, but in my humble opinion, I believe the pieces are now in place to start to genuinely seek to improve the quality of the starting XI, as opposed to building up to a squad of 25.

And to be clear, I don't discount the risk that he will not be given money, or that he won't be able to attract the calibre of players that he is seeking. however, based on previous windows, a budget of say gbp20 m is not unreasonable and if that is the case, we now appear to have a scouting network that looks at both premier league talent and overseas.

If PL decides that he wants to spend the majority of his budget on improving the first XI, as opposed to developing talent for the future, then I think he would be able to signficantly do so on a buget of that sort of amount, notwithstanding the various 'ifs' in this sentence.

• Like 2

In the summer if you suggested relegation would be an issue you were laughed at and mocked.

Now a third into the season, worst start in the history of the club and in the bottom 3 if you didn't expect it you're laughed at and mocked.

Seems pretty hypocritical.

I expected it/ Frankly anyone who didnt expect it was being unreasonably optimistic. The club was/is in the smelly.

I just dont expect us to stay there. The rot has pretty clearly been stopped, time to start turning it around. Will be a close run thing I'm sure, but I'm quietly confident we have more than enough to stay up. January will be interesting. Desperately need a strong ball playing center mid and a strong ball playing central defender

• Like 1

I'd bet a shit load on it

We always make it so easy for teams

If you need to break a duck just play Aston Villa

We need to win all our games in the mini league down the bottom we have already lost 1 against Southampton cannot afford any more **** ups imo

Im not sure how true this is. norwich turned their season around on the back of beating Arsenal and then United. In alot of ways, what we need isnt to beat some rubbish team, its to beat someone good

There is nothing to choose between us and Reeading in terms of quality and I can see them scoring against us as they are quite pacy going forward and Lamberts werckless gung ho approach means we are really open at the back. The QPR game is a typical game for Villa to go and perform badly and get turned over, they will probably thump us and I can see the Stoke game being a mind numingly boring goalless draw, I just cant see us breaking Stoke down and our fall back plan of lump it to Benteke wont work against them.

Lambert's attacking intent is a great thing not exactly wreckless and gung ho i'd say, although maybe after a year of mcleish having more than zero players pushing forward must be a shock.

expecting us to lose at qpr is being a little bit negative ay? whilst it's funny to say it, that everyone ends their bad streak against us etc. it's not exactly true, just one of those things that you remember when it happens and forget when it doesn't.

as for us only having plan A: wreckless gung ho and plan B: lump it to benteke, i'd say that's not exactly a thorough tactical assessment of PL and the diff shapes and players he's used this season so far.

saying we'll only get 2 points from those games is really pessimistic, you might be right and it could happen in which case we'd be in deep shit. we might get 9 though, but it'll probably be more likely somewhere inbetween...

Haha - who else is thinking QPR will get their first win of the season against us?

Probably will as it looks more and more like that will be Harry Redknapps first game in charge.

FFS it does look like everything is conspiring against us this year.

not sure that i'd call it a central plank failing... having a squad for pre-season is one thing, i agree, and PL will have learnt a lot about attitude and the like.... however, having your squad playing competitive games together is quite another... it seems to me that we are only now starting to see a consistent first XI appearing and it doesn't have barry bannan as captain...

as far as january, i'm not actually making any assumptions about how much will be made available or who PL will try and sign up. What I was saying, and perhaps the length of my post stopped it coming out clearly, is that with the squad he has now, as opposed to the players he had at his disposal when he took over, his approach to transfers is likely to be very different.

Over the summer, it was about filling the squad out in terms of numbers the best he could with the budget he had - remember he only had something like 16 - 18 players other than the academy, and in that 18 were hutton, warnock, collins, dunne and delfouneso.

Now that he has a full squad, its about improving the quality of the starting XI, on the basis that he now has a squad of 25, all of whom could play on any given day. My understanding may be wrong, but we now have a full squad of 25 players registered - if he adds new players, he will have to drop others out of the squad. this is not an issue he has had to deal with before.

On that basis, we shall see how he goes in January, but in my humble opinion, I believe the pieces are now in place to start to genuinely seek to improve the quality of the starting XI, as opposed to building up to a squad of 25.

And to be clear, I don't discount the risk that he will not be given money, or that he won't be able to attract the calibre of players that he is seeking. however, based on previous windows, a budget of say gbp20 m is not unreasonable and if that is the case, we now appear to have a scouting network that looks at both premier league talent and overseas.

If PL decides that he wants to spend the majority of his budget on improving the first XI, as opposed to developing talent for the future, then I think he would be able to signficantly do so on a buget of that sort of amount, notwithstanding the various 'ifs' in this sentence.

Some brilliant points made here.

Probably will as it looks more and more like that will be Harry Redknapps first game in charge.

FFS it does look like everything is conspiring against us this year.

Hence that's why finnishing 17th or above will be a good season considering the circumstances we have gone through so far.

I hope not - i'm going!

Haven't done so well on our travels this season when I've watched.

Spanked 4-1 by Southampton last time!

Same here dude, I think it's me. Im cursed.

My away day record: West ham / Spurs / Fulham

No points and no goals :(

QPR ticket has arrived. Please give me a goal at least!