Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Oh you know exactly what you've tried to do even without me having to point it out. Since you won't stop replying to my posts even after asking you twice now i'm going to engage the 'ignore button' and engage with posters who don't doctor their posts to suit their debate.

I honestly have no idea what you're ranting about. How have I "doctored" my posts? You still haven't explained that.

I honestly have no idea what you're ranting about. How have I "doctored" my posts? You still haven't explained that.

Mantis - I suggest that you leave this one mate

Sadly there posters out there whose only pleasure is to wind up the rest of us who like to have a rational discusiion

Oh you know exactly what you've tried to do even without me having to point it out. Since you won't stop replying to my posts even after asking you twice now i'm going to engage the 'ignore button' and engage with posters who don't doctor their posts to suit their debate.

Just a quick observation. You could stop replying........

As you say up front, you're guessing. There is little point in this conversation going round and round until we see how much Lerner is actually prepared to spend in January, who Lambert would decide to buy with the money, and whether the January window is really the best place to find cheap players who are better quality than the current squad, which is what I take you to be guessing is the strategy.

Also, we shall see if there is a sell-to-buy policy in place, i.e. is it essential for Lambert to sell apparently unwanted players like Dunne, Given, Makoun, Hutton, N'Zogbia (Bent?) etc., before he can bring in new blood? We can't force the players to go nor force other clubs to buy them.

indeed, i did say i was guessing, but what i said i was guessing was the amount that PL was given in the summer. I don't think I made any suggestion anywhere as to who PL should buy now or in January. The purpose of my post was simply to set out where we were when he came in, where we are now, and how this may affect his transfer activity going forward.

Actually, setting it out was more for me to be able to see how things looked objectively, and having done so, there appears to be something that is defensible as a strategy that has us where we are today, with a view to us being better in the near future. I am concerned that it has been cut too fine, and that there was an overestimation of the quality of the squad that we have today.

However, to me it does make sense to me to have a core squad, spend time with them seeing who will make it, and who won't, and then looking to spend larger chunks on marquee players to fill the gaps that can't be filled with the players and the playing style we currently have.

When PL was doing his transfer activity at the start of the summer, he had no idea what his first team squad looked like, or where the most pressing weaknesses were. If PL had bought established premier league players (by which I mean the likes of Berbatov, Charlie Adam, Adam Johnson, Junior Hoilett, Steven Fletcher, Diame) in the summer, they would have been substantially more expensive than the players that he bought in terms of transfer fee, wages or both. There was every chance, with no structure in place and no established first team, that, having blown our transfer kitty on two or three players, one or more of those players would have ended up like say Ireland or N'Zogbia when they first joined us - exciting players for their former teams who went on to not become first team regulars for us at the outset.

QPR's summer purchases looked exactly like that, and mark my words, their transfer activity this summer will haunt them for years to come, as they will have to work out long term expensive contracts for aging players that aren't regularly starting, and have little resale value. In that regards, Tony Fernandes is very like RL, a wealthy owner, but not wealthy enough to simply give away say GBP200 million.

look at the players that they have bought over the last couple of seasons who would now have expensive contracts, and who are not regularly playing for them. By my reckoning, over the last two years, they have bought or loaned Ryan Nelsen, Andy Johnson, Fabio, Park, Junior Hoilett, Jose Bosingwa, Julio Cesar, Rob Green, Granero, Mbia, Diakite, Zamora, Cisse, Onuoha, A Ferdinand, S Wright-Phillips, Bothroyd, K Dyer, DJ Campbell...

now that's a nightmare waiting to happen....

Finally, as far as sell to buy, I don't think selling players who are not in consideration for the matchday squad represents a sell-to-buy policy. PL has said he doesn't want to sell Bent, which to me says that if Bent decides he wants to go, then it is something he may consider. Dunne, we don't know about because we haven't seen him fit enough to start in a PL XI.

When PL was doing his transfer activity at the start of the summer, he had no idea what his first team squad looked like, or where the most pressing weaknesses were.

Lambert joined us on 2 June, which is pretty damned early for a premier league manager to start a new job in the summer. He had obviously been having discussions with the board about the squad prior to that. Any manager should be able to assess the strengths and weaknesses of his squad over a full pre-season. So a central plank of your argument sems to fall.

As I say, you (and many other posters) are guessing that Lerner will make lots more money available in January and that Lambert will be able to buy better quality players than he has done so far, all of whom will be happy to join us for less than £40k a week, and that these will instantly gel into a better team.

We shall see - I'm not ruling out that this may happen but it would be sensible to recognise there are many risks to this approach and none of it may happen if the money doesn't arrive in the first place.

IMO Rodigan's post makes an awful lot of sense. The real test will be the January window.

If PL continues with his policy of youngsters with potential I'm afraid that there will only be one outcome. Supplement the squad with 2/3 experienced quality premiership performers in key areas (defence/midfield I believe we have enough up top) then we will be fine

No.

It'll be a nervy one like last season.

Really?

We had McLeish last season who set his sides to draw games

This season we have the opposite a manager that likes to go gung ho

Don't get me wrong im a Fan of Lambert and what he's trying to do but we have to show Arsenal a little respect the weekend otherwise we could be on the end of another thrashing if we manage to go 2 up like we did against Manure we need to shut up shop

IMO Rodigan's post makes an awful lot of sense. The real test will be the January window.

If PL continues with his policy of youngsters with potential I'm afraid that there will only be one outcome. Supplement the squad with 2/3 experienced quality premiership performers in key areas (defence/midfield I believe we have enough up top) then we will be fine

Im hoping PL tries to lure more players of the calibre of Clint Dempsey who he tried to get in the Summer transfer window - he is experienced and not a youngster so im sure our manager knows what's missing from our team.

Us signing Clint Dempsey was as realistic as West Ham getting Beckham and Ronaldinho a few ago when they thought they were rich.

Why we did bid I don't know, either to show off to the fans or to get Genk lowering their fee for Christian Benteke. It would be like Man City bidding 100M for Leo Messi, it would hit the newspapers but he would never go there. In this case, he was on the market but there were much bigger teams in the frame for him.

As transfers go, we actually need to strengthen or we will be in deep shit. Our squad is top 15 material, but our extremely bad start to the season has dragged us into a battle you seriously don't want to be in come Christmas. Especially with this inexperienced squad, as panic will take over more easily IMO.

Arsenal (h)

Reading (h)

QPR (a)

Stoke (h)

Liverpool (a)

Chelsea (a)

Tottenham (h)

Wigan (h)

These are our games before 2013, some winnable games in there - and some pretty solid losses on the cards. We really need to win 3 of the home games, as we have 5 home and 3 away. Away to Chelsea and Liverpool are really tough, also away to QPR who probably have a new manager in three weeks. A bad run in these games, with let's say one win and 5 losses and a few draws will see us in a battle all season.

We will lose to Arsenal. I hope this thread doesn't go into overdrive. Our season has to start after that. Getting anything from this 3-game run against the CL sides was always a stretch. Many said we'd likely be in the bottom 3 afterwards. And we will be so it shouldn't be a surprise. It's what we do from then on that really matters. But we don't have much of a safety net. We really must hit the ground running against Reading.

Reading / QPR / Stoke has become a 7 point minimum run of games.

Quite right, its Liverpool Chelsea and Spurs after that! I think we will get 2 points out of the Reading/QPR/Stoke games

We will lose to Arsenal. I hope this thread doesn't go into overdrive. Our season has to start after that. Getting anything from this 3-game run against the CL sides was always a stretch. Many said we'd likely be in the bottom 3 afterwards. And we will be so it shouldn't be a surprise. It's what we do from then on that really matters. But we don't have much of a safety net. We really must hit the ground running against Reading.

It depends on the manner of defeat to Arsenal. Another hiding will not help matters

Quite right, its Liverpool Chelsea and Spurs after that! I think we will get 2 points out of the Reading/QPR/Stoke games

2 points would be a nail in the coffin

We need 9 ideally, 7 minimum as we have 3 tough games after