Lambert's love for a narrow attack...

onje_villa

It seems from pre-season and the way Norwich lined up that Lambert is going to employ a very narrow midfield.

In my mind this was always the way of teams like Barca who are spoiled with central midfielders and didn't really bother with wingers. If this was the way to go, why play N'Zogbia and Holman?

Is it more that the wingers will look to play as a front 3?

Two things stand out to me if we're going to play this way.

Our midfield is going to have to get much more creative at fashioning chances through the middle (though with Ireland, Bannan and KEA this could well be achievable) and

Our current fullbacks are going to get ceremonially buggered every weekend in the Premier League.

I really want them to play the passing game don't get me wrong, I just think our full backs are going to be getting pretty exposed. Don't forget for much of the last few years, we've had pretty much double full-backs, our wingers often doubled up as extra full-backs.

I'm glad (delighted) we're going attacking but think it may take us a while to adapt!

For the squad we have i think it might be the right way to go, but the fullbacks play a key part if it's to work.

Thank god we have the "Scottish Cafu"

Also need a strong DCM to break up play and win the ball

This is exactly what we've needed for years. Quick movement of the ball which makes movement in players essential. This will help us keep the ball and take more control of games. It will take time, but we need to be patient.

This is exactly what we've needed for years. Quick movement of the ball which makes movement in players essential. This will help us keep the ball and take more control of games. It will take time, but we need to be patient.

this.. patience from the fans and time for players to get used to systems is needed. Still need a couple of players in if poss before end of window, especially if we are to make the tight midfield our default formation. I like the way we have been trying to play in preseason, we may let a few in this year but I think Lambert is on the right track and I like the style he is trying to implement.

Think this will be Lamberts preferred formation and style. But dont think he will be averse to using wingers and he will like to change it up if required. This obviously depends on how well Albrighton recovers and his form and also who we buy.

Said it before Ancellotti perfected this system in Milan. However the most important players were the full backs who were very hard working but also as good defensively as they were going forward, Zambrotta, Cafu etc.

:/ I dont like this.

Ive also been told (From a very reliable source :D ) that theyre also playing one touch-ish football... as in DONT go ahead and dribble. The passing game could be employed.

i can understand why you might not be keen on this, From what i've seen of your lad, he's a tricky wide player, but i wouldn't worry about Lamberts playing style affecting his progression.

I mean look at N'Zogbia, if he can start to be effective in this system, then Jack will have no trouble.

:/ I dont like this.

Ive also been told (From a very reliable source :D ) that theyre also playing one touch-ish football... as in DONT go ahead and dribble. The passing game could be employed.

i can understand why you might not be keen on this, From what i've seen of your lad, he's a tricky wide player, but i wouldn't worry about Lamberts playing style affecting his progression.

I mean look at N'Zogbia, if he can start to be effective in this system, then Jack will have no trouble.

Do you mean my brother ;) yeah he does like to keep the ball. No one touch stuff.

Its all a bit proof in the pudding.......but I don't think PL is the sort to dither on the touchline like his predecessors. If it ain't working, I reckon he'll change it sooner than later. But I don't think we will expect to see radical, sweeping changes of style a la Houllier either. because that simply confused matters. It will be subtle, gradual and we WILL see the old Villa again.

Trial and error time again, but it certainly helps when you have a manager who is ambitious......and PL is.

i think it'll be good to see for a change!

in other countries it's pretty normal for a lot of teams to play this way in order to stay more compact as a unit and so they can move the ball quicker more easily and keep it better.

another nail in the coffin of the PL = MON argument too, MON was get it wide as fast as possible and try and get crosses in from behind. it'll alwasy be something we can switch back to because most of our players will have played that way a lot in their careers (and growing up).

Yes I'm fairly happy we'll be playing like this but we will need time to adapt!

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a couple of thumpings in the first half of the season (I expect Newcastle to screw us over again)

However saying that, I have had 2 dreams now that we beat West Ham 0-2 on the first day of the season...

The one thing I wish they'd stop doing is playing balls over the top for Darren Bent, its so frustrating to watch as he is not quick enough like Gabby for that to work and often gets caught offside playing that way as his head is looking upwards and not towards the defensive line he is attacking. Therefore I'd like them to play through balls, through the middle for Darren and I really think that is achievable. We have to use Benty correctly if we are to succeed.

I think that if we play with Ireland, our formation will be 4-3-1-2 (the diamond, as you say in England) with Steve in the hole and three central midfielder (KEA, Holmer and Bannan), otherwise we'll play the classic 4-4-2 with two wingers (in this case Holmer would be played on the wing togehter with Gabby or Zog). I think and hope the upfront pair will be Bent-Weimann.

Â