Albrighton to miss start of season

LeafyVilla

Marc Albrighton looks set to miss the first six to eight weeks of the new season with a foot injury.

The Tamworth-born winger suffered a broken metatarsal in the first week of pre-season training and is likely to be on the sidelines until October.

The injury has ruled Albrighton out of Villa's entire pre-season programme so far.

The 22-year-old has been wearing a protective boot on the affected foot.

Albrighton joins Gabby Agbonlahor and Richard Dunne on Villa's casualty list going into the new campaign.

Agbonlahor is out for around a month with a knee problem sustained on the USA tour.

Dunne will be out of action for around six weeks having undergone a procedure on a groin injury.

I'm not going to lose any sleep

But it's another player we've lost to injury for 6-8 weeks, with our already customary thin squad it's again getting thinner before the season has kicked off, hopefully a couple of reinforcements will be in before the start of the season.

i dunno, i'm quietly lookign forward to see how albrighton, bannan, gardner etc. develop with PL in charge. hopefully he'll be able to get back to the form of a coupel fo seasons back...

shame he's out, could become a big asset for us, might not, but could.

It's another player from our squad that we won't have the use of. Whoever DOES play in his place won't have Albrighton sitting on the bench breathing down his neck. That affects team performance too. Competition for places can be almost as important to a selected player's performances as his own ability can be. So to those ... I suppose we can call them supporters, who are putting the guy down at every opportunity, engage your brain.

Sometimes I think you'll only be happy when the only players fit and available for selection are the 11 players that you want to see on the pitch.

Spot on BOF. People on here constantly moan about things such as 'oh the N'Zogbia is pish and was a waste of 10mill' etc etc. But at the end of the day, it will only hurt our squad if players like N'Zogbia face no threat for their postion, because to be honest that was a massive problem last season. Too many players getting comfortable and knowing their spot was not under threat (i.e. the old guard in the back).

Also, I honestly expect Lambert to get Albrighton back to his best when/if fit this season and if Albrighton's crossing gets back to where it was, that is another route of supply for Benty. Remember, last season Paul Lambert's Norwich side scored the most goals from crosses from the wings in the league, if I recall correctly.

i dunno, i'm quietly lookign forward to see how albrighton, bannan, gardner etc. develop with PL in charge. hopefully he'll be able to get back to the form of a coupel fo seasons back...

Much as I rate Lambert as a manager. He won't be able to turn poor players into good ones. Gardner of those you mention is the only one I have any hope for.

Much as I rate Lambert as a manager. He won't be able to turn poor players into good ones. Gardner of those you mention is the only one I have any hope for.

I'd rethink that then mate. Bannan has been exceptional so far this preseason and if he is used correctly, he can provide great service for Bent and rack up a shed load of assists this season.

Why couldn't this go in the Albrighton thread?

Oops, suppose I should have put it in there, apologies....

Nahhhh, I prefer a new thread for each article! Otherwise the article just gets lost under loads of VT comments.

Â