Albrighton to miss start of season

LeafyVilla

I find it difficult to take someone seriously that says MA cannot cross a ball. He is the best crosser of a ball at AVFC, no probably about it, he is definately the best crosser of a ball at Aston Villa.

His stats when he got a run of games were better than Downings and just behind Youngs. I repeat he got fans player of the month award 5 times out of the first 6 months. That means he was THE best player on the pitch for the majority of that season. His form was good enough that Liverpool were sniffing round for him before finally going for Downing. Now explain to me how that equates to the form of a championship player again ?

Oh and as for him having a last chance this season. He is 21/22, do me a favour.

Could the same thing happen with Carruthers and Albrighton that happened with Weimann and Delfouneso where one seemed to gain much more experience early on (Granted Weimann did have a bad injury) and seemed to be the one tipped for the first team when suddenly the other overtook and became the better-looking (Not aesthetically :) )

I guess it's a case of having confidence and taking your chances.

I find it difficult to take someone seriously that says MA cannot cross a ball. He is the best crosser of a ball at AVFC, no probably about it, he is definately the best crosser of a ball at Aston Villa.

His stats when he got a run of games were better than Downings and just behind Youngs. I repeat he got fans player of the month award 5 times out of the first 6 months. That means he was THE best player on the pitch for the majority of that season. His form was good enough that Liverpool were sniffing round for him before finally going for Downing. Now explain to me how that equates to the form of a championship player again ?

Oh and as for him having a last chance this season. He is 21/22, do me a favour.

Unfortunately many people expect the finished article with a player at that age. Yet it rarely ever happens apart from the top top talents. It doesn't help that Albrighton had so much pressure put onto him last season as we didn't replace the players who gave Marc the freedom to express himself.

I'd love for people to name me a couple of English players with as little experience as Marc who are performing week in week out at clubs. I look back at the U21 team he played in and there are one or two at best who come even close.

The only thing that infuriates me about him is his ability to lunge in time and time again but hopefully with experience he'll learn.

I think Albrighton is really good, a no brainer to keep him, one of our biggest assets.

Its funny how differently people see our youngsters. I think he is a very poor player and nothing more than a bench warmer.

No pace, no ability to beat people and his positional sense is appauling.

I think he could be a good squad player for us but doubt he'll ever be a regular.

Last season I felt he was better from the bench, e.g. in the home game against Chelsea, where he came on and put a beautiful ball into the box for Lichaj to score.

He tends to struggle with consistency and seems to have stamina issues, which it why he'd be better off the bench so he can run at defenders late on in games.

However just one point, under McLeish, Albrighton had to do a lot of defending, either because of McLeish's negative tactics or due to the fact that he had an absolutely useless right back behind him. Maybe that took a lot of sting out of his play going forward.

This is a big season for him, like many of our other 'youngsters'.

I think Albrighton is a good definition of a confidence player.

8pins, I have never seen anyone make such a concerted effort to be the last comment in every thread in the last page. Every morning I wake up and all the way down it says 8pints and now it looks like you are making an afternoon run at it.

What do you win when you do it?

We seem to be going through a phase at VP of completely going overboard when a young player gets in the first team and sparkles for few games. There is a lot of head scratching when 2 seasons later he hasn't reproduced that form.

Howver this is the norm for any young player. They sparkle at first - then fade never to return to that form. must just be an adrenalin thing.

Gareth Barry, Gabby and maybe Cahill - are ones are who were able to maintain the early promise. The vast majority (the norm) don't. So while we are all saying 'if only he could do what he did when he first got in the team' we shouldn't be expecting to much based on his first few appearances.

I don't think anyone is expecting the finished product with our young kids. There are plenty of people willing to give weimman, Delph, herd, lichaj, Clarke, Gardner and bannan time to continue to develop as players.

The problem with albrighton was that for the last part of houlliers season and the whole of last season he was pretty much found out. His limitations made him predictable, which then effected his crossing because he didn't have the space he had when he first burst on the scene.

Worth keeping in the squad I guess, probably good enough for were we currently are but can't see him being a regular starter if we want to improve.

He's stats are pretty good but people were using stats to suggest we wouldn't miss young and downing that much with nzogbia and albrighton as their replacements. Last season showed that some stats mean **** all.

I don't think there's much utility in referring to some of our lads as 'young kids'. Delph, Clark, Bannan and Albrighton are 23 ths year, Chris Herd and Lichaj are both 23.

This age most certainly does not qualify them as young kids in footballing years. Good players start to establish themselves at 23.

It's time for some of our 'youngsters' to step up, if not, Lambert should get rid. I'm not sure they should be given time to develop, it's should be more of a case of sink or swim at this age, they aren't teenagers.

I think Clark, Lichaj, Delph and Albrighton should be given starting roles and a chance to prove themselves this season.

The best winger we have at the club

Which is part of the reason we were such a joke of an attacking force last season.

One of the reasons, yes. I'd say chief reason was the bloke who was manager had no intention of attacking in any meaningful way.

He's still better than nzogbia who can't cross and only seems to run into the opposition though.

Sadly, unless Lerner decides to give the manager a decent sum of money to spend, he's the best we can have at the moment.

Don't understand some of the negativity aimed towards Albrighton. He's a young winger who works extremely hard and we have all seen he has ability. Obviously he had a tough season last year but who didn't?

Agree that he needs to use this season to step up or we'll have to consider moving him on, but why not support him instead of just having a "meh" attitude? He can re-establish himself this season and under good management may add consistency to his game. Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, Delph all have a lot of ability - supporting them would help.

Evening Marc ;-)

Doesn't have the pace to beat a man and his trickery was found out once the Premiership got used to him. Could adapt his game and be more like a Bentley with work ethic i.e one touch and cross but doubt he has the footballing brain.

Shame really, the one local youngster who could be classed as a true Villan as well, which is definitely a rarer thing than you'd see at Liverpool/Newcastle etc.

Â