Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

You are completely avoiding the fact that this has actually happened, thus making 'ifs' completely irrelevant.

Not really. Footballers get knocks all the time that would make them miss mid-week games if they had them.

Blind is a LB though.

So is Luke Shaw and Rojo (LVG must have a LB fetish bigger than Lamberts!)

Blind can also play LM or LWB

Rojo is a centre back no?

Blind can also play as a holding midfielder.

No but can play there.

Pretty sure he is a centre back who can play left back. Not a left wing back. I've watched a few Sporting Lisbon games last season and he was always centreback.

Edited by sexbelowsound

He's got a knock on the knee and will be back for Sunday - hardly injured is it???

If it wasn't for the league cup midweek match, he wouldn't have missed a game amd we wouldn't be discussing this....

Exactly. Can we have less sensationalism and more common sense in this thread please?

Not common sense at all. The point is he is injured and HAS missed a game. The extent/timing of the injury is meaningless with regards the fear that his fitness is consistently unreliable for Aston Villa.

As has been pointed out before, his "injury proneness" is exaggerated. He played more games last year than plenty of other top centrebacks who aren't considered injury prone.

As pointed out in response to that

a) I couldn't give a monkeys about other top centre backs

and

b ) it is not so much about the number of games he misses, it is the regularity that he misses 1/2 here and then and we don't seem to be able to gather any consistency.

Also, who are these centrebacks? Is one Kompany? I would class him as injury prone. Where are they not classed as injury prone and by whom? Furthermore, do they play for teams where there absence is not as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us?

I thought you didn't give a monkeys?

He missed 6 league games last season. The same as, or less than, Koscielny, Lovren, Kompany, Cahill, Terry, Coloccini and Jagielka to name a few.

As for the regularity, I'm only doing this from memory, but didn't he miss all his games last season in one chunk. From his calf injury? Happy to be corrected. Hasn't he played every league game since he came back from that injury?

Furthermore, do they play for teams where there absence is not as catastrophic as Vlaar's seemingly is to us?

That has nothing to do with my point. Nobody is arguing about how important Vlaar is for Aston Villa, we all know it's very important.

Steveo, see post back to HanoiVillan. I would be interested to hear your reasoning as to why, where and by whom the other CBs are not classed as injury prone. Id argue that fans of all the respective clubs would prefer it if them players played a lot more. Especially the likes of Collocini and Kompany who are vital to their teams.

I can't really be arsed to be honest.

Your opinion won't be changed. You're wrong, in my opinion, but you won't cha he your mind.

So let's leave it there.

• Like 1

I really don't get why people think Vlaar is injury prone.

It feels like it because every game he misses we lose .

Valid point there, a really good point. The fact we miss him so much makes it feel like he misses more than he does.

Vlaar looked good to go from those training pictures but if there was any lingering doubt would you leave him out considering the run we have coming up? It's a tricky one because we need points on the board before those games but he is also our best hope of getting points from the following games.

Can we not just clone him?

Steveo, see post back to HanoiVillan. I would be interested to hear your reasoning as to why, where and by whom the other CBs are not classed as injury prone. Id argue that fans of all the respective clubs would prefer it if them players played a lot more. Especially the likes of Collocini and Kompany who are vital to their teams.

Your opinion won't be changed. You're wrong, in my opinion, but you won't cha he your mind.

So let's leave it there.

Really quite a disappointing response. 

I am quite open to changing my opinion thanks. Have done on a number of things. My reply to HanoiVillan highlights that I am more than happy to 'hold my hands up'. That said, in order to change my opinion, or indeed for anyone to change their opinion (certainly on here), the opposing argument has to be one that is backed up, which you have failed to do in any form. From what I can gather you're argument for Vlaar not being injury prone is based largely on the hope that other CBs,who have missed more games, are not seen as injury prone. 

That has kind have gone to the dogs at the very mention of me thinking that they are also injury prone. Or so it would seem it has, given your uncharacteristic lack of enthusiasm in response.

But ok, I will happily leave it there.

Edited by Woodytom

So let's leave it there.

Really quite a disappointing response.

I am quite open to changing my opinion thanks. Have done on a number of things. My reply to HanoiVillan highlights that I am more than happy to 'hold my hands up'. That said, in order to change my opinion, or indeed for anyone to change their opinion (certainly on here), the opposing argument has to be one that is backed up, which you have failed to do in any form. From what I can gather you're argument for Vlaar not being injury prone is based largely on the hope that other CBs,who have missed more games, are not seen as injury prone.

That has kind have gone to the dogs at the very mention of me thinking that they are also injury prone. Or so it would seem it has, given your uncharacteristic lack of enthusiasm in response.

But ok, I will happily leave it there.

I don't consider missing 6 games in a season particularly injury prone. I don't think the centrebacks I mentioned are generally considered injury prone, and if they are, then people are still splashing tens of millions on them (Lovren) so it obviously can't be so injury prone that it particularly matters.

That's my "backup"

If you think the opposite then I'm not going to be able to change your opinion am I? So what's the point in carrying on the debate? There's no official cut off to where you become injury prone so if you think 6 games is that cut off then so be it. I think you're wrong. I don't see where else we can go with the argument.

I want some concrete evidence that suggest Ron is injury prone at Villa?

I need this concrete evidence as well seeing as we needed it in the Westwood thread eh.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â