Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

This is what I think.

Southampton have lost half their defence and also face losing their star centre back, all for a combined fee of around £66m. Obviously, they are going to be desperate to find replacements and will probably pay over the odds to do so. Koeman will look at Vlaar and see the perfect replacement at centre back. I reckon a deal will be struck at around £10m and then Villa will start the season in need of a centre back as well as needing to appointment a captain. Then, we will be enforced to pay over the odds for whoever we want to replace Vlaar.

Whichever way you look at that, it won't be good for Villa.

You forgot that we were smart enough and bought Senderos to replace him beforehand!

10-12m and SELL SELL SELL

Replace with another CB costing around 7-8m and job done

Vlaar isn't worth 10-12m. I don't believe anyone here thinks he really is, so an offer like that would be pure madness to turn down given his age, injury record and above all else his performances over the last two seasons

BUT. We'd need to replace with better that's without a doubt. So none of the 'i'd rather have him than get relegated' nonsense. It's not one or the other. You sell him, you replace him. No biggie

His performances over the last 2 years have been one of the few reasons we're still able to call ourselves a Premier League team.

I very much disagree. He's been at best good, with a smattering of very good and very poor performances in between

Nice bloke, decent on his day. But no more than that to my eyes

whilst you're clearly underrating Vlaar, I do agree that we should sell if we get an offer of 10m or more.

Vlaar is easily our best CB, but I think 10 million is more than he's worth with 1 year on his contract.

No you are wrong Stevo985, Ulver is spot on.

He had a great WC but he's not played that way in a Villa shirt which is what we should be rating him on.

Our best defender but if an offer of 10m comes in we should bite their hand off however only if all of this money is put back into the transfer fund for Lambert to use otherwise we may as well keep him.

He had a great WC but he's not played that way in a Villa shirt which is what we should be rating him on.

Our best defender but if an offer of 10m comes in we should bite their hand off however only if all of this money is put back into the transfer fund for Lambert to use otherwise we may as well keep him.

He's generally played pretty well for Villa.  It's hard to really pinpoint many glaring errors that he's made and in some games he's been absolutely superb.  Playing at Aston Villa (currently) means you see way less of the ball and are under much more pressure than when playing for Netherlands (a side who had the majority of possession in every World Cup game they played apart from vs. Brazil).  One of his strengths is being comfortable on the ball - sometimes to his detriment (vs Newcastle), but a refreshing change from aimless long balls.  He makes pretty crucial interceptions and seems to time his tackles well whilst being deceptively quick.

My point is more... people are saying "£10m is amazing! Take it!" - who do you replace him with for £10m though?  Who is this magical £7/8m CB that Ulver mentioned who is as good if not better than Ron Vlaar?

Generally he's been ok but nothing special, he's part of the problem because ours is a team that concedes far too many goals.

I do think 10m would be amazing although you are the 1st person to write it because I wouldn't rate him much more than 3m now that he has less than a year to run on his contract. Thanks to a good WC we might make some money on him.

I and many Villans had never heard of Vlaar before he was photographed being shown around VP but I'm pretty sure Lambert will have his scouts looking for the next unknown bargain or out of contract player if he thinks he will lose Vlaar. If I were to guess though I think we already have Vlaar's replacement in Senderos which if I'm right is a worry.

He's generally played pretty well for Villa.  It's hard to really pinpoint many glaring errors that he's made and in some games he's been absolutely superb.  Playing at Aston Villa (currently) means you see way less of the ball and are under much more pressure than when playing for Netherlands (a side who had the majority of possession in every World Cup game they played apart from vs. Brazil).  One of his strengths is being comfortable on the ball - sometimes to his detriment (vs Newcastle), but a refreshing change from aimless long balls.  He makes pretty crucial interceptions and seems to time his tackles well whilst being deceptively quick.

My point is more... people are saying "£10m is amazing! Take it!" - who do you replace him with for £10m though?  Who is this magical £7/8m CB that Ulver mentioned who is as good if not better than Ron Vlaar?

Generally he's been ok but nothing special, he's part of the problem because ours is a team that concedes far too many goals.

I do think 10m would be amazing although you are the 1st person to write it because I wouldn't rate him much more than 3m now that he has less than a year to run on his contract. Thanks to a good WC we might make some money on him.

I and many Villans had never heard of Vlaar before he was photographed being shown around VP but I'm pretty sure Lambert will have his scouts looking for the next unknown bargain or out of contract player if he thinks he will lose Vlaar. If I were to guess though I think we already have Vlaar's replacement in Senderos which if I'm right is a worry.

Slightly off topic but is Guzan also part of the problem then because he's part of the same defence?

• Like 3

I completely agree that he's "nothing special"; but special players cost an absolutely ridiculous amount.  What he is, is a solid central defender that has improved over the time he's been at Aston Villa and has clearly adapted to the demands of the Premier League and, thus, has been able to apply his adaptation on the biggest stage in the World.

Whether you like it or not, the clubs that are being linked with signing him (Man Utd, Spurs, Southampton) are all better than Villa - that's the level he's at.  To rate the guy at not "much more than 3m" is crazy.  I think replacing him will be harder than people seem to think; especially if you're expecting scouts to find a player as good as him for around £7-10m and also have them settle instantly.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 3

It's not his fault he's had to do four jobs in one. If he was allowed to concentrate on his own game and not keep covering from the constant mistakes of others. I think you would see a solid consistent display week in, week out.

• Like 2

I rate him as 3m because he has less than a year left on his contract. I don't want to necessarily leave unless it's for silly money but neither has he done anything to suggest he deserves a pay rise.

daggy, obviously you want to argument so here goes Guzan is possibly the best keeper we have had since Jimmy Rimmer imo but he can improve and needs to. If you want to debate any of the players though go to their topic and I'll gladly give my honest opinion.

I rate him as 3m because he has less than a year left on his contract. I don't want to necessarily leave unless it's for silly money but neither has he done anything to suggest he deserves a pay rise.

daggy, obviously you want to argument so here goes Guzan is possibly the best keeper we have had since Jimmy Rimmer imo but he can improve and needs to. If you want to debate any of the players though go to their topic and I'll gladly give my honest opinion.

Nope not after an argument at all was just making a point. Guzan is as much of part of the defence as Vlaar and yet Guzan recieves little to no criticism which just seems odd to me. For what it's worth i think Vlaar and Guzan are the only 2 outof our defence who we can truly rely on at the moment.

• Like 1

He's worth as much to us as Lovren is for Southampton. £20m or no deal

He's worth as much as a club will pay for him, 20m would be great ;)

If that's the case, why have you chucked out this 3mil figure? 

He's worth as much to us as Lovren is for Southampton. £20m or no deal

He's worth as much as a club will pay for him, 20m would be great ;)

If that's the case, why have you chucked out this 3mil figure? 

Because I can :P Oh go on then because you asked so nicely, I rate him in his last year 3m but if a club want to pay 20m to us then happy days.

He will go for quite a bit more than 3m!

He won't go for 10m + either, no chance any team will pay that when he'll be on a free in 12 months time. He's not that good.

I wouldn't have an issue with him playing out the season and leaving on a free, hopefully the ownership of the club will have been resolved by then so the lost 7 or 8m in transfer fee won't be an issue.

He won't go for 10m + either, no chance any team will pay that when he'll be on a free in 12 months time. He's not that good.

I wouldn't have an issue with him playing out the season and leaving on a free, hopefully the ownership of the club will have been resolved by then so the lost 7 or 8m in transfer fee won't be an issue.

Then I think we will keep him to the end of the season. No 10 mill, noe sale. No point in selling him for 5 mill, better to keep him through the season.

People not rating Ron are just preparing themselves for likely event of him leaving this summer. "He wasn't that good anyway..." and "it will not be difficult replacing him..."

The truth is he was oustanding in a very good dutch team. That was way better than for example England. How much do reckon an English international CB would go for? Especially after WC like Rons?

Â