Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Give it a rest, you think he's the best I think he's average (average=poor). Who cares? I certainly don't.

I only wanted some clarity as to what exactly average was referring to. It seems it was poor. I have my answer. Thank you.

Edit - I don't recall stating that he was "the best" either, unless you're just referring to that game. There are positions between average (poor) at best and "the best" IMO.

Edited by ArteSuave

He could have come back from the World Cup playing the same football for Villa but something always happens to our players and now his confidence will be shot.....at least he can blame the awful attack and the two players asked first who said no.

He had a great game for a very average team and defence, much like the Villa, he can be proud of his achievements and hopefully he moves on quickly.

Gutted for him though, to think Villa almost had a player in a World Cup final......it's a shame that the new Greece made it to the final, my god are Argentina boring...then again Holland aren't much better.

There's always one isn't there. Everyone else knows the truth so let him get on with it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but there's times when you're just plain wrong and on this occasion you are.

My opinion is about a player I have watched for the last 2 seasons, he makes so many bad decisions that I can't understand how anyone rates him. Yes he is better than the chuckle brothers but that's not saying much.

I don't think he is the worst player that I have ever seen, he's no Tonev etc but my point was about "if" Lambert was offered 10m imo he should snap their hands off.

Like I said I didn't expect my view of him to be popular but it's not wrong to have an opinion even if it's unpopular ;)

https://twitter.com/Squawka/status/486997381683376128

The stats seems to correlate with the successful manager's opinion:

Ron Vlaar By Numbers:

100% tackles won

100% aerial duels

11 clearances

6 interceptions

92% pass accuracy

#Roncrete

Average AT BEST though, yeah?

Edit - I know his stats are warped by playing against jokers like Messi, Aguero, Lavezzi and Higuain but even if he was playing against someone half decent he'd have done better than AVERAGE IMHO.

Also, Messi didn't touch the ball once in the Dutch penalty area last night

There's always one isn't there. Everyone else knows the truth so let him get on with it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but there's times when you're just plain wrong and on this occasion you are.

My opinion is about a player I have watched for the last 2 seasons, he makes so many bad decisions that I can't understand how anyone rates him. Yes he is better than the chuckle brothers but that's not saying much.

I don't think he is the worst player that I have ever seen, he's no Tonev etc but my point was about "if" Lambert was offered 10m imo he should snap their hands off.

Like I said I didn't expect my view of him to be popular but it's not wrong to have an opinion even if it's unpopular ;)

It is when an opinion contradicts statistical facts.

Actually, it kind is wrong Vlaar being a Premier League CB, a Dutch International and his performances throughout the World Cup including last night suggest your opinion is wrong. As does the assessment of Van Gaal who I suspect knows more about the game than the lot of us have forgotten.

So yes you are entitled to your opinion but not to having it taken seriously or it going unchallenged.

Hand on heart you genuinely believe Vlaar is average (poor in your words) at best and by extension (seeing as that was him at his best) was poor last night?

Ron Vlaar has played amazingly throughout the world cup and deserves all the credit he gets, but for whatever reasons, poor teammates or else, he hasn't showed the same quality in a Villa shirt for two years. Hopefully he gets a new contract, better defenders around him and does great for VIlla, but it's not like it hasn't happened that players have terrific international tournaments preceded and followed by poor seasons. 

• Like 1

Where I do agree SeanO is that if offered 10M i would indeed snap some hands off as we wont be getting anywhere near that amount from now on

I wouldn't, because I think we wouldn't get a good enough player to replace him for this next, very critical season.

We need him to stay up while waiting for a new owner.

Yep, I don't think he's any good, nothing anyone is going to say will change my opinion

Hand on heart you genuinely believe Vlaar is average (poor in your words) at best and by extension (seeing as that was him at his best) was poor last night?

My opinion is he's an average player, I can't recall any games in a Villa shirt where I can say I thought he played above a 5 out of 10.

He had an okay game last night, nothing outstanding but I thought it was a poor game anyway. Not that I care what's in the Daily Mail but they rated him the best Dutch player last night with a massive 6.5/10 which is better than I would have given him.

Where I do agree SeanO is that if offered 10M i would indeed snap some hands off as we wont be getting anywhere near that amount from now on

I wouldn't, because I think we wouldn't get a good enough player to replace him for this next, very critical season.

Depends if he comes back from the world cup and has his head turned

The last time we had a defender do well at the world cup and get into the world cup team of the tournament I think he came back and head was turned ,  alpay anyone?

Depends if he comes back from the world cup and has his head turned

The last time we had a defender do well at the world cup and get into the world cup team of the tournament I think he came back and head was turned ,  alpay anyone?

I hope he's still with us in his mind. Also, he knows he has to perform to get a great contract next summer. World Cup will be forgotten then.

I know that all I just said points to him wanting to leave. I just, well, hope.

Great player, have always thought he has been our most important player at villa. Can understand if he decides to leave if he gets a better offer but would be gutted, good player and captain. Hoped he would be here for years leading villa, thought he could become another centre back legend but reckon he'll be off. Crying shame how we have surrounded him and tekkers with substandard teammates. Just think what could have been if learner had have sanctioned some of lamberts first or second choice transfer targets the last two years rather than third, forth or fith options. Please stay Ron.

Â