Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Vlaar is a crock and I worry okore is too. We need better cover

I can understand Vlaar but why Okore?
Purely on how innocuous the injury occurred and the length of recovery.

Injuries like that can happen to anybody, and recovering from them can take a very long time. As far as I know he doesn't have an injury-plagued record.

Neither does Vlaar though and people on here believe he is "made of glass" 

To be fair Vlaar's got a history with injuries, although I agree that it's exaggerated a bit.

Vlaar is a crock and I worry okore is too. We need better cover

I can understand Vlaar but why Okore?
Purely on how innocuous the injury occurred and the length of recovery.

Injuries like that can happen to anybody, and recovering from them can take a very long time. As far as I know he doesn't have an injury-plagued record.

Neither does Vlaar though and people on here believe he is "made of glass" 

To be fair Vlaar's got a history with injuries, although I agree that it's exaggerated a bit.

He has only had a 'history' of injuries since being here though, which I put down to the way we play and also the intensity of the Prem, as well as being rushed back the other day. I'd still say he is far from being made of glass though, his one proper injury before joining us was when he did his knee. 

He has only had a 'history' of injuries since being here though, which I put down to the way we play and also the intensity of the Prem, as well as being rushed back the other day. I'd still say he is far from being made of glass though, his one proper injury before joining us was when he did his knee. 

When he joined Feyenoord in 06 he was injured on and off for 2 seasons straight, including doing his cruciate ligament. After that he's been ok, maybe slighly prone to pulling a muscle.

Edit: Sorry, checked it and seems I misremembered.

He joined in '06 and had two seasons where he was plagued by shorter injuries, and then he was out for two full seasons.

Edited by tarjei

When he joined Feyenoord in 06 he was injured for 2 seasons straight, including doing his cruciate ligament. After that he's been ok, maybe slighly prone to pulling a muscle.

I think it isn't a coincidence that his injuries whilst playing for us have came at a similar period in the season, when we have the most games in the shortest period of time. As you say, I think he may be slightly prone to a muscle being pulled or strained, but that is because of the intensity of the league combined with the amount of work our defence has to do every game.

The problem with Vlaar's injury proneness whilst with us is that in the first season, we had no adequate cover for him when the huge flux of games came, so he was probably forced to play more games in a week than he's used to. Then this season, we've had adequate cover in Okore, but he's been injured for the majority of the season. I think when he returns, he'll see out the season, his injuries tend to come around December time.

Also you have to remember, he tends to get injuries during a period when Holland and the majority of Europe have a winter break, so Vlaar probably isn't used to playing so many games, in such a short amount of time, during that period, which probably ends up causing him injury issues.

• Like 1

The problem with Vlaar's injury proneness whilst with us is that in the first season, we had no adequate cover for him when the huge flux of games came, so he was probably forced to play more games in a week than he's used to. Then this season, we've had adequate cover in Okore, but he's been injured for the majority of the season. I think when he returns, he'll see out the season, his injuries tend to come around December time.

Also you have to remember, he tends to get injuries during a period when Holland and the majority of Europe have a winter break, so Vlaar probably isn't used to playing so many games, in such a short amount of time, during that period, which probably ends up causing him injury issues.

Yup, bang on.

To be honest all of our defenders have to do a shed load of work in every single game, their fitness levels must be extremely high.

Doesn't look good does it, usually there are noises from the club if he has a chance. It's very worrying as we've heard nothing whatsoever which is normally a sign it's worse than hoped.... I agree we can write off gathering wins with him out regardless who it's against as we simply ship too many goals.

• Like 1

With Vlaar out, I can see us being dragged into a relegation scrap.

Yep - we hardly get a point when he doesn't play. Was really hoping the manager would plug this weakness.

To be fair there's no guarantee that bringing another CB would make much difference. As you rightly pointed out, we barely get anything when he doesn't play.

Â