General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Like Jacketspuds said, this debate really does highlight how weak we are at the moment.

Yup and that's without the now routine injury crisis we're bound to suffer in a few months!

We need strength in depth more than a big marquee signing right now. Big £20m signings are reserved for the big boys – because they already have a solid squad and simply want to add top quality. If we go out and spunk our wod on Carroll or Johnson, as exciting as that will be, we’ll be doing things the wrong way round.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we looked any better when weimman was on the pitch supporting bent.

I also don't think just having a better LB would have changed much either.

We shouldn't have to rely on fullbacks to create our chances for us.

Like Jacketspuds said, this debate really does highlight how weak we are at the moment.

If we go out and spunk our wod on Carroll or Johnson, as exciting as that will be, we’ll be doing things the wrong way round.

I do think we need more players but then I also don't see the point in signing average players that we need to replace next summer or the summer after.

If top quality like Carroll and Johnson are available I really do think we need to try and bring them in.

Those 2 players would improve us massively instantly.

Having Johnson, adams and Carroll would make us into a good squad.

And more than likely haemorrhaging money again...

Adam is on £65.000 at Liverpool

Carrol on £60.000-90.000

and Adam Johnson is on £ 85.000 at City

Even if you take the figures with a pinch of salt, how much would those players be willing to decrease their wages for the honour of playing at Aston villa?

Understand what your saying and it could start the cycle again but what if we get rid of Warnock and Hutton? Its not impossible that it would happen before the window closes as Lambert has made both players aware by his team selections that they are no longer wanted. I don't think we're going to get much for them but at least they'd be off the wage bill to make room for new signings. Of course there would still be a deficit in wages between the transfers but not as much if Warnock and Hutton found new clubs and you also have to consider the players who have already left.

I see it slightly differently again :lol:

To me we have a few major issues

1. An inability to create chances

2. Not enough variation/striking options

3. Left Back..We have the cover but we lack the main man.

So for me it's another option up front, Carroll? Well yeah he'd do but i just can't see him coming here.

Huntelaar or someone with a threat in the air for me.

A replacement for Nzog as he simply isn't doing it & never has here .. we just cannot afford to carry players like him.

Again in the striking department we have the back up options with Weimann & to a point Delfounso but we lack the second "Main man" to partner Bent.

In Midfield we are lightweight in my opinion & we need a tough strong captain type player to orchestrate things.... For me Charlie Adam would be a good shout for this role & he can pick a pass + shoot from distance too which is exactly what we are lacking in there... Kea looks great ..He is the breaker up of play but we need the forward thinking playmaker now & again we have good back up/ options in Bannan & Ireland but lets be honest... As it stands they just are not delivering.

Everything else i think we ore ok

So

Second MAIN striker

replacement for Nzog his time is up.

New LB

Strong "captain" running the show from midfield...

Yup and that's without the now routine injury crisis we're bound to suffer in a few months!

We need strength in depth more than a big marquee signing right now. Big £20m signings are reserved for the big boys – because they already have a solid squad and simply want to add top quality. If we go out and spunk our wod on Carroll or Johnson, as exciting as that will be, we’ll be doing things the wrong way round.

Any possible fee for Carroll would be deferred until the end of the season. Liverpool are willing to let him go on loan first with an option to buy which would suit us, leaving our remaining budget for this window, minus loan fee for Carroll, to be spent elsewhere. You also have to consider that Liverpool would very much like to sell Carroll to us due to the outstanding balance left on the Downing transfer.

As 'Big John 10' stated above bringing Carroll and Johnson in would make a massive impact on the quality of our squad!

With the premier league prize money increasing this season would paying a couple of players big wages not be covered by us finishing higher in the league?

I really don't think the wages of Carroll would bankrupt us or put us back to the out of control 80% of turnover.

With the premier league prize money increasing this season would paying a couple of players big wages not be covered by us finishing higher in the league?

I really don't think the wages of Carroll would bankrupt us or put us back to the out of control 80% of turnover.

Trouble is, thats a bit like signing an HP agreement for a Ferrari and hoping to pay it off using money from a lottery win.

Risky strategy.

Dont understand people wanting Johnson and Carroll. I assume nobody has ever seen Johnson play as passing and crossing are not hings he does regularly. he is not the winger you want for Carroll

As for Adam he got Liverpool most assists last season and he didnt even play for last 2 or 3 months of it

Having Johnson, adams and Carroll would make us into a good squad.

And more than likely haemorrhaging money again...

Adam is on £65.000 at Liverpool

Carrol on £60.000-90.000

and Adam Johnson is on £ 85.000 at City

Even if you take the figures with a pinch of salt, how much would those players be willing to decrease their wages for the honour of playing at Aston villa?

Surely it's only haemorrhaging money if we pay those kinds of wages and then not play them. That's where our money troubles have stemmed from. Bent on 70K a week is good value, Heskey and co on 50K is where the problem lay. I'm sure if we signed them we would pay the going rate.

Again 'Big_John_10' i have to agree. Speculate to accumulate. Bringing that type of quality in would no doubt improve our position in the league this season and with that the stated wages should be affordable.

No point bringing in Adam as he's no better than Bannan and on twice the wage.

How has this ridiculous myth gathered pace? When did Bannan become this fantastic player, scoring goals for fun and completely controlling games and pretty much winning them single handedly like Charlie Adam did at Blackpool? Bannan may be a neat player at times with some potential, but I've never seen anything like this than from him yet and for me they are light years apart.

How has this ridiculous myth gathered pace? When did Bannan become this fantastic player, scoring goals for fun and completely controlling games and pretty much winning them single handedly like Charlie Adam did at Blackpool?

This is what people said about CNZ when he was at wigan.

Ki Seung Yeung in talks with a Premier League club. Would love it to be us. Happy to have either Adam or the Korean Gerrard down in our midfield this season.

Swansea are linked heavily to sign him.

Our priorities lie elsewhere...

Trouble is, thats a bit like signing an HP agreement for a Ferrari and hoping to pay it off using money from a lottery win.

Risky strategy.

Not really, chances of winning the lottery are ridiculously low. Chances of finishing higher in the league with Carroll and Johnson is pretty high.

Also it's not really a major financial gamble. With makoun, Hutton and warnock gone and wages at 50% I think caroll and Johnson wouldn't add much.

And if warnock and button stayed its a blow but again wouldn't bankrupt while we tried to get rid.