General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

I can't believe we had 64% possession yesterday in an away game. When was the last time we did that? The general consensus regarding our play yesterday was that we were playing lots of pretty football, with nothing in the final third

We did not play pretty at all, I do not think it is very pretty to stay completely still in our own half passing it 5 yards from side to side. We had absolutely nothing to offer going forward, we did not create a single chance during 90 minutes against a team that is a certainty for a relegation scrap. It is very, very wrong to discard a long ball like we did last night, clearly there were restrictions against doing so and instead they just looked bewildered. It was not Darren Bent's fault though, he had nothing to work with the entire game. He tried a few runs but every time Ireland tried to pass him through he missed and passed it straight to the West Ham-defence.

Early days and all, of course Lambert needs time, but that game was one of the worst I have seen in my entire time as a Villa-fan.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The enormous posession from the Westham game is a big plus, lets build on that. We need to start the change in style somewhere and it isnt done in just a couple of months. If it doesnt give any results come january maybe we could question the player selection. Until then lets be happy that we are actually playing football and trying to win games, thats refreshing and new...

Wether we set up to play possession football with the idea of attacking or set up defensively and play long ball does it ultimately matter if we don't create chances?

No doubt Lamberts approach is the right thing but i don't think it's all going to click and these current players are going to turn into a great attacking side.

The approach is right, the idea is right but he needs to bring in quality attacking players.

The enormous posession from the Westham game is a big plus, lets build on that. We need to start the change in style somewhere and it isnt done in just a couple of months. If it doesnt give any results come january maybe we could question the player selection. Until then lets be happy that we are actually playing football and trying to win games, thats refreshing and new...

Wether we set up to play possession football with the idea of attacking or set up defensively and play long ball does it ultimately matter if we don't create chances?

No doubt Lamberts approach is the right thing but i don't think it's all going to click and these current players are going to turn into a great attacking side.

The approach is right, the idea is right but he needs to bring in quality attacking players.

True, that's why I'm hoping Lambert has some quality lined up to come in during the next week or two and he's just laying the founations of a passing game to get the best out of whoever he brings in. It could be one signing that makes all the difference and turns us from being toothless to a potent attacking threat, the problem is working out who that player is and how to get them in.

I'd take Carroll here, but no loans please

I'm not keen on loans either Richard but with Carroll I feel the benefits would far outway the negatives.

No initial transfer fee to pay as that would be deferred until the end of the season allowing us to then spend whatever is available now on a LB,DM and winger.

I however understand that Carroll's transfer fee would still have to be accounted for but with the rest of the Downing revenue plus the extra tv revenue it should be affordable to the club.

If we miss out on him now I don't think we'll get another chance to sign him and he would, tactically, give Lambert so many more options upfront.

I like the idea of Carroll, hes far and away the best striking option realistically available to us IMO!

We have a strong history with target men strikers, and there is a void to fill since Big John left.

I think he could work really well with Bent too, unlike some of the others linked.

Well before West Ham yesterday I was saying the game would also be useful in highlighting to the manager where we need to strengthen or we could face some struggles (very similar to getting turned over by Wigan at VP on the opening day a couple of seasons ago). Fully expect the issues to be addressed this week and think we can expect the LB and striker in this week. In terms of the striker I want, it either has to be someone with an attacking edge to their game, still think Dempsey would be that man. Or we need someone who can collect the ball from the midfielders, let them take up better positions and push the ball back out for them, something that possibly Carroll could do. Until then though, I guess it is the waiting game.

Carroll gets a lot of stick because of the amount Lfc did pay for him, not his fault. I think he is a young and talented player with a bit of sting and good work rate. Has the potential to be great if given a proper run and his confidence being built up. Needs to feel like he is first choice i think and will be devastating coupled with DB. Carroll wins in the box and the goalkkeeper might get a lucky save but then DBs poacher skills gets in to play and he gets to tap them in regurarly and finishes the season scoring 30 goals... (im allowed to dream)...

Yesterday we passed it around at the back, maybe we just lack the midfield leader, the one who takes the ball out off the comfort zone and plays the same style while pushing and challenging the opposition. We need someone to take that responsebility, maybe thats why we miss Stan that much on the pitch, he took that responsebility...

The sooner people face reality and realise we cannot afford theDempseys Carrolls Defoes or Johnsons of this world, the less tears there will be

& let's face it, even if we had the money, there's no way they'd come here

once we've sold hutton expect another unknown foreigner or lower league player

CI , you are bang on the money mate.

Players of that calibre are not going to come to us at the moment.

Does anybody agree Ince would be a superb acquisition?

Only at a good price. I don't think he'd be able to make an instant impact. He looks like at the moment the sort of young player that shows glimpses, but throughout games is largely anonymous. We got a few of those players that do that. Heard he had a good game yesterday though. I would rather someone who could make an instant impact in the Premier League, don't think Ince would.

The sooner people face reality and realise we cannot afford theDempseys Carrolls Defoes or Johnsons of this world, the less tears there will be

The reality is you have no idea what we can or cant afford. Just like the rest of us.

The reality is you have no idea what we can or cant afford. Just like the rest of us.

I know for a fact we aren't paying the wages or anywhere near what those players would demand

Your right of course, but if we could afford Dani Alves we probably wouldn't have bought Matthew Lowton...