General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

What i think we need: Getting our defence sorted out, a settled back four. One nasty central midfielder, we need one bad ass ball winner, as a team we are to nice, every great team in history has/have had a player or two with a mean streak to them, Barcelona has Busquets, Piquet... Real Madrid has Pepe, Marcelo, Ramos, Manchester City has De Jong... you get my point, we need a bruiser or two. We need another striker and the striker we get in decides more or less what or either we need another one in. We need either one big striker/target man like Carrol if that is the case we also need someone with flair who can get pass his opponent and get crosses in the box. Or more unlikely we need a striker in the Keane mold, a creative player who not only is able to finish attacks himself but also able to provide/create chances for others...

After this is sorted we need to think about getting Ireland back at his best or an other creative attacking midfielder.

Great players are available, we just need to find the gems, watched the WBA-LFC game yesterday (it was broadcasted here in Norway) and Wba seems to have made an excelent buy in Claudio Yacob did play amazing and if you should have picked a world star between him and Gerrard my pick would be Yacob... If he continues playing like he did against Lfc, Yacob will soon be at a bigger club, maybe as early as January...

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Johnson goes to everton or sunderland you've really got to ask questions about our own plans.

Johnson

Dempsey

Phillips

Would send us flying up the league IMO.

This. Would cost 25m or so mind.

Stated this a few pages back in the thread with one difference. I'd choose Carroll on loan with a view to buy instead of Phillips.

Carroll, Johnson and Dempsey would catapult us up into challenging for top 8 this season rather than waiting two or three seasons to achieve this. I'd off set the initial outlay by making MON aware that Gabby might be available at the right price. Gabby would be a cheaper option than Fletcher which might tease MON into making a bid?

Of course wages would be an issue with the three players mentioned here but it really depends if we could ship Warnock, Hutton and Gabby out and if Lerner has the ambition to make us competitive again rather than just running us as a business then it could be done.

We aren't really linked to anyone, because I think we're all done

None of the players we have brought in this season were linked anywhere before we got them in, at least not until our fans did their detective work for the press. They have had absolutely no idea about our transfer activity and neither do we, we could be either in for 5 players or none and nobody would have a clue. All I do know is that Lambert would have been nuts to come to our club if he had no money to spend because the squad is a bit shit.

I think there will be 2 more signings but ideally we need 4 more first team players because as good as the style of play was yesterday we never looked like scoring, no width at all and that really needs adressing.

I believe there is money to spend but Lambert is just taking his time and it could go down to the last day of the transfer window.

Saw Adam Johnson linked to both Sunderland and Tottenham this morning, saddens me that we can't even compete with the likes of Sunderland anymore, in the transfer market or on the pitch.

If we don't sign anybody before the Everton game I'd say we're done in the market until January, and I'd also put us down to lose that game.

Well Randy was at the game yesterday - I just wonder if the run outs for Gardner, Weiman - was a subtle hint to Randy - 'these kids aren't ready for premiership footy' - I do think we have ridiculous expectations of our Academy.

If we only only make one move - I hope we sell Nzogbia and buy Matt Phillips .....failing that just drop Nzogbia the guy is a complete passenger. Give Carruthers arun.

None of the players we have brought in this season were linked anywhere before we got them in, at least not until our fans did their detective work for the press. They have had absolutely no idea about our transfer activity and neither do we, we could be either in for 5 players or none and nobody would have a clue. All I do know is that Lambert would have been nuts to come to our club if he had no money to spend because the squad is a bit shit.

To be fair Kendrick was all over them, particularly Lowton weeks before we signed him

Well, if we get Caroll and dont get a winger inn i guess its hoofball all over again :(

I really do hope they are using Henkes notes and trying to find a couple of hidden gems...

(he has that Bayern Munich link, so i guess Scweinsteiger, Lahm and Gomez on loan :) just kidding)

I can't believe we had 64% possession yesterday in an away game. When was the last time we did that? The general consensus regarding our play yesterday was that we were playing lots of pretty football, with nothing in the final third. This got me thinking - in yesterday's game who is was our 'final third man'.... Bent. Now, with this style of play that we seem to have taken on, is Bent the right player for us? I only saw the last couple of minutes of the highlights on match choice yesterday so didn't see much action... I must say we didn't really play with much urgency as the match was drawing to a close. The stats showed that we had 13 shots yesterday, yet again I also heard people saying they don't actually think DB had a shot.... So where did all those shots come from? Ireland and Nzog?

Maybe we need to take a look at that and decide what to do because if we do not have the right striker in the team, and with only Gabby and Weimann and maybe Delfouneso (though I think he should go on loan) we could actually be ****.

Also, was it definitely the best decision to leave Hutton and Warnock out? They are dire and I want them to leave but, potentially could have been better than relying on a young Centre Back at Left back?

To be fair Kendrick was all over them, particularly Lowton weeks before we signed him

Complete myth - Karim was linked for about 2 weeks, Vlaar about 4 weeks, and Lowton 1 Week.

To put this into context - there won't be surprise (out of the blue)signing, mon, tues, or wed next week - we may be linked in that time frame - but the days of out of the blue signings are gone.

I can't believe we had 64% possession yesterday in an away game. When was the last time we did that? The general consensus regarding our play yesterday was that we were playing lots of pretty football, with nothing in the final third. This got me thinking - in yesterday's game who is was our 'final third man'.... Bent. Now, with this style of play that we seem to have taken on, is Bent the right player for us? I only saw the last couple of minutes of the highlights on match choice yesterday so didn't see much action... I must say we didn't really play with much urgency as the match was drawing to a close. The stats showed that we had 13 shots yesterday, yet again I also heard people saying they don't actually think DB had a shot.... So where did all those shots come from? Ireland and Nzog?

Maybe we need to take a look at that and decide what to do because if we do not have the right striker in the team, and with only Gabby and Weimann and maybe Delfouneso (though I think he should go on loan) we could actually be ****.

Also, was it definitely the best decision to leave Hutton and Warnock out? They are dire and I want them to leave but, potentially could have been better than relying on a young Centre Back at Left back?

We played this kind of passing football under Houllier and Bent scored loads. The difference is that we haven't got Young and Downing, Bent will score goals in any team if he gets opportunities, we just need better creators. I agree with you about Warnock.

If we didnt have the ball much in the last final third of the pitch then it must be clear where we must strengthen, but i don necessary believe DB dont fit in that kind of team. He will or should never be used as a "playing" striker, he is a poacher he should save his energy until a oppurtunity arrives, he should be used like pass and move maybe in front of the box but shouldnt have to wander to far away from the goal. He is dangerous in front of the goal, outside the box and not in finishing positions he is rather average.

Warnock isnt that bad, he has had a couple of bad seasons but he was great at Blackburn and for us the first seasons... Hutton never really had a chance did he? Remember some years ago when Spurs bought him, there was some people on here that were disappointed we didnt go for him...

But i guess PL has seen enough in training to know whats what and who he wants to build up and use in his team, who he sees has a future and who dont. Sometimes i guess you have to maybe put a lesser team on the pitch in the sake of building for the future and the long time goals.

The enormous posession from the Westham game is a big plus, lets build on that. We need to start the change in style somewhere and it isnt done in just a couple of months. If it doesnt give any results come january maybe we could question the player selection. Until then lets be happy that we are actually playing football and trying to win games, thats refreshing and new...