General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Inside Football ‏@1DailyFootball

Aston Villa looking at PSV's Jetro Willems #AVFC

Probably one of those bollocks accounts.. but he is a left back.

Didn't have the best of euros but he is still 18.

Would be quite interesting if true. Didn't seem too good at actually defending but was like Usain Bolt going forward IIRC. I would imagine he would have bags of potential, perhaps PL could mould him into an all round performer.

**** Jetro Willems makes Danny Rose look accomplished as a player. Poor kid was out of his depth at Euros.

That was Willems's first season as a starter @ Psv..... of course he was going to look out of depth.... Pieters would have been better to take instead of Willems.... Crazy Dutch coach :P but tbh given time an patience Willems would be a class FB!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tweets like this make me laugh....

Villa Lobby ‏@villa_lobby

Villa fans. Expecting a signing that is really going to shock some fans. Can't say too much now as I don't want to jeopardize it. #avfc

Really don't know why people believe shite like this.

**** Jetro Willems makes Danny Rose look accomplished as a player. Poor kid was out of his depth at Euros.

That was Willems's first season as a starter @ Psv..... of course he was going to look out of depth.... Pieters would have been better to take instead of Willems.... Crazy Dutch coach :P but tbh given time an patience Willems would be a class FB!

I think Willems would be a brilliant signing, had the signs of a very good player.

In all fairness, yes - first season, yes - pushed into the national squad too soon due to injuries... and he did struggle, but in all fairness he was against a) Portugal (a couple of the best wingers), B) Denmark, and c) Germany (who should have won!).

I think most defenders would struggle against those teams. (I'm looking at you Concrete Ron!)... but saying that, Vlaar and Willems could work well together?

I must admit, I am really shocked with how quiet the transfer market has been. We are 9 days away from KO. I know there is the rest of the month to go but it has been so quiet even for a tournament summer.

I wonder if FFP is kicking in with clubs and there is now more of an emphasis t develop what you already have.

I must admit, I am really shocked with how quiet the transfer market has been. We are 9 days away from KO. I know there is the rest of the month to go but it has been so quiet even for a tournament summer.

I wonder if FFP is kicking in with clubs and there is now more of an emphasis t develop what you already have.

We're obviously doing things behind the scenes, but the transfer window is open for some time yet. PL will want to see the players in a competitive game.

We're obviously doing things behind the scenes, but the transfer window is open for some time yet. PL will want to see the players in a competitive game.

I think he is refering to all clubs.

Man U, Man City, Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle have all done **** all this window.

I wonder if FFP is kicking in with clubs and there is now more of an emphasis to develop what you already have.

I am not on about us. I was talking in general. We have been very active compared to most.

But I have never seen a summer this slow with regards to all clubs' transfers. And I am not sure that it will pick up drastically either.

Is this what FFP has brought us?

Of the "big 5" European leagues, the PL has seen the least number of total arrivals and departures thus far (though cumulatively PL clubs have only been outspent by Serie A).

If we're after Naughton it's to cover both fullback positions. Just as Lowton covers right back, centre half and midfield, Herd right back, right midfield and defensive midfield, Lichaj both full back positions and so on...

That would mean we would still need a Starting LB?

I wonder if FFP is kicking in with clubs and there is now more of an emphasis to develop what you already have.

I am not on about us. I was talking in general. We have been very active compared to most.

But I have never seen a summer this slow with regards to all clubs' transfers. And I am not sure that it will pick up drastically either.

Is this what FFP has brought us?

Sorry about the confusion, mate.

In regards to most teams, I think it's been a busy summer for football, what with the Euros and Olympics. Which would also push up the prices for any player involved.

steve bull

Mr Bull said himself he expected to leave the dogheads to join the Villa after being tapped up on holiday by Deadly. Then spent all summer waiting for the call that never came

The only other offer he had to leave them was to Coventry from what i recall

Not sure he stayed there out of loyalty anymore than because nobody actually bid/wanted him

I arranged a sportsmans evening for my footy club at Christmas and we had Bully as guest speaker - over a pint later I asked him if it were true villa came for him - and he said when we finished 2nd under Graham Taylor we went for him mid-season as they wanted to have him n platt in the same side - Deadly did the deal, Bully aggreed and he said he got cold feet at the last minute and never turned up for his medical and to sign..... said he spent the next week hiding from the Wolves Chairman and Deadly..... and got fined 2 weeks wages for his troubles !!

shame, we may have won the Championship if id signed

If we're after Naughton it's to cover both fullback positions. Just as Lowton covers right back, centre half and midfield, Herd right back, right midfield and defensive midfield, Lichaj both full back positions and so on...

Which would presumably be Naughton.

Which would presumably be Naughton.

But he is a RB. I'd prefer a LB to be a LB

I don't think there is anyway back for Warnock. The fans have made up their mind about him and if he does play he would have to be shit hot for them to get off his back and for him to regain his confidence. I remember when fans had made their mind up that Petrov was terrible and all our problems lay with him. Probably went on for a season before he proved everyone wrong.

Warnock was not Blackburns player of the year for no reason but as a Villa player it looks like the writings on the wall and he has to go.

I see fans convinced Warnock is gone. I see them saying he has no future etc. However I see him playing every pre-season game. I don't hear the club saying he's gone in the way they've told Hutton to sling his hook. I don't see him making noises or being disgruntled and to be honest, apart from what the fans seem to think is written in stone, I see no sign from him or the club; or Lambert's team selections; to suggest Warnock is finished here. I don't know either way and of course I want a better left back. I'm just curious as to where we've got this idea that he's a dead man walking. Other than the oft-trotted out alleged bad-mouthing of the club under the Houllier reign - a reign which at times would have infuriated Gandhi himself - I'm just slightly at a loss as to what he has done - apart from being shit on the pitch which is hardly unique to him.

I see fans convinced Warnock is gone. I see them saying he has no future etc. However I see him playing every pre-season game. I don't hear the club saying he's gone in the way they've told Hutton to sling his hook. I don't see him making noises or being disgruntled and to be honest, apart from what the fans seem to think is written in stone, I see no sign from him or the club; or Lambert's team selections; to suggest Warnock is finished here. I don't know either way and of course I want a better left back. I'm just curious as to where we've got this idea that he's a dead man walking. Other than the oft-trotted out alleged bad-mouthing of the club under the Houllier reign - a reign which at times would have infuriated Gandhi himself - I'm just slightly at a loss as to what he has done - apart from being shit on the pitch which is hardly unique to him.

Agreed.

The one indication that we have had though that he may replace him is the approach for Cresswell. Especially as we have cover already in Lichaj and Stevens.