General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brazilians must have seriously calorie high diets, because it seems as soon as they stop playing football, even during the close season, they pork up an incredible amount

There's a massive Brazilian population near where I live, so there are several bakeries, cafes and such I go to occasionally. A single slice of their cake (let alone a whole meal, which is usually almost entirely meat, cheese and bread [often stuffed together and fried]) will ground me for hours, and I'm 6'7", ~235 lbs.

Could that just be because you live in Georgia?

Watched the Portland game last night - great at keeping possession but we seemed pretty blunt in attack.
Also - and I hate to be negative at a time like this, but - passing and keeping possession like that is one thing against the Portland Timbers, but will not be half as easy against Premier League opposition. Still glad to see the intended style of play though, it's a step in the right direction.

And yes, we probably need a striker.

We needed a striker whether Gabby stayed fit or not. WRT playing style. It's clearly new to them so at this point in time it's practice and familiarisation along with Lambert's mantra that fitness is of paramount importance before the serious business starts.

Will be interesting to see whether Lambert targets a "big man" type striker to give us some different options.

Or whether he wants someone who is comfortable linking up to fit into the pass pass pass type of play we seem to be aiming for.

Maybe both -

I think with the way we are playing it will give the full backs time to really pick a cross so someone aerially dominant could do very well.

But then I also feel a Robbie Keane type striker to link it up and also get goals could be very good too.

Watched the Portland game last night - great at keeping possession but we seemed pretty blunt in attack.

With Gabbys injury possibly rolling on a new striker is now surely our main priority.

We scored 4 goals to be fair - I know 2 were disallowed, but that's hardly blunt. I guess without gabby n bent it would look a little though.

Yeah my point was the top two didn't have much of a cutting edge.

The two disallowed goals were both from great play by Holman and Ireland. The top two added very little in an attacking sense throughout the game. So as I said we had nearly all the possession but didn't really create that many chances.

I think Weimann has been disappointing in pre season - I am assuming he is still some way of full fitness. I really do have high hopes for him as I think his movement and finishing was excellent last year (for reserves and bit in 1st team), he should really be thriving off all this possession and through balls.

Delf just hasn't got it for me - he is doing all he can just to keep the ball when harassed by defenders and rarely seems able to threaten them. Said before he has ability but a bit too nice and powderpuff I think. Would be interested to see what he was like if he spent the next 12 months in gym watching Mark Hughes videos.

It will be interesting to compare to Norwich last season. Only the top 6 scored more than them and only the relegated teams conceded more.

I know they're only pre-season games but he seems to be trying for something a bit more solid than the 'score one more than we concede' mentality of Norwich last season. Might account for lack or attacking threat?

Spoke to a lad in the Villa Village today and he said there is talk of a fairly big signing coming our way, not sure how much inside info somebody in the shop has - but I did get told about Petrov in there before we bought him.

I think the key for promoted teams is momentum which might have explained his gung ho approach with Norwich. Get goals and belief early and that can carry you through.

I am please to hear how things are improving style wise. We're obviously a few bodies short, but things are looking solid for the new campaign.

Spoke to a lad in the Villa Village today and he said there is talk of a fairly big signing coming our way, not sure how much inside info somebody in the shop has - but I did get told about Petrov in there before we bought him.

Did they mention how many chairs there'd be??

Not a mention of chairs! The only other thing that he said, was that Mcleish was very good to the people who worked around Villa Park - people in the shop and elsewhere. He talked with them and made players do same.

Just a shame he didn't like football!