General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Doesn't make sense to me. Surely we don't have £20m for a striker? If we do we should be spending it on someone else.

I have said it a few times before that I think Lambert is being allowed to operate on a player by player basis, so by that he has as much as he needs to spend this window.

If he wants two CB's at £8 million a pop, a DM at £6 million, a winger at £4-5 million and a striker at £20 million he can buy them all if he can provide a good enough reason for them.

This is a rebuild window after all, you don't rebuild with £10-£15 million and I'm sure Lerner knows that.. There is perhaps a hypothetical ceiling so Lambert can't take the piss and buy 7 £20 million players, he still have to look for bargains first but he's got money to spend and lots of it.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Carroll would be a good signing, hopefully this means Lambert is confident he can add the players he wants in midfield and defence, players i think we need more though.

Agreed, but I don't think Lambert is sacrificing spending more on alternative players for midfield or defence just so that he can keep enough left over for Carroll or another striker.

Lambert is builing a team he wants and it's great to be linked with so many different players.

Really hoping the next few weeks looks like this...

OUT - Hutton, Dunne (but will most likely be Collins), Delfouneso, Makoun, Warnock

IN - LB, Vlaar, CM, Snodgrass, Carroll

Have i missed something? Are we in the hunt to sign Andy Carroll?

Fingers crossed we are, on the flip side, hoof ball may start to creep in with him in the team.

A bit of hoofball is always welcome in my book.. I mean every team does it from time to time as you have to change it up or you become predictable. I don't think people will mind a bit of hoofball if it lands on his head and in the goal a fair bit.

Fingers crossed we are, on the flip side, hoof ball may start to creep in with him in the team.

A bit of hoofball is always welcome in my book.. I mean every team does it from time to time as you have to change it up or you become predictable. I don't think people will mind a bit of hoofball if it lands on his head and in the goal a fair bit.

Dont get me wrong mate, i would love it if Carroll signed as he's a very good player, and i agree that a change of tactic is good, i just wouldnt want it to be a primary form of attack.

Saying that, with Bent, Holman, N'Zogbia and Ireland buzzing round him and working off him, im sure it would creat plenty of chances.

You forgot Holman and Lowton as IN's

I did indeed. My post was about the next few weeks as opposed to the window as a whole.

In terms of our playing style under Lambert I think he will look to mix it up. We will change style and tactics depending on opposition and how a game is going and the one thing we don't have now that the lump has left us is a target man. Would be great to have the option of having a big striker in the squad.

Will be nice to not be so predictable.

Agree that it would be a good option, and perhaps he can do well with a bit of confidence and in a team that plays to his strengths, but surly £20m could be spent a lot better?

Interesting Metro article. Quotes and all.

I'd very much get behind a deal for Carroll. In terms of squad numbers do we have a No. 8 yet? Just curious as it may be for another forward.

Didn't El Ahmadi wear the number 8 for the Burton friendly?

Pre season numbers mean nothing.

He is number 8 on offical website. Link

Wouldn't go by them until official release, would expect Lowton or Lichjah or a new RB to pick the number 2 off Hutton, Delfouneso and Holman have also been assigned the same number according to that..

Matt Lowton will be number 34 this coming season. Matt Kendrick said so. Who knows, maybe he likes that number?

Agree that it would be a good option, and perhaps he can do well with a bit of confidence and in a team that plays to his strengths, but surly £20m could be spent a lot better?

Another point on that £20m - and I agree it could be spent better, regardless - is was he ever worth that? We know what Liverpool paid, to universal amusement, when his stock was high but then the jokers also spent £20m on Downing.

If he wasn't worth £20m back then he has done nothing to warrant being worth it now. Whatever I think of him as a player I really would not want to see the Downing money go back to the dippers.

If they want him gone they will obviously take a hit financially but who will spring that money? I suppose the other complicating factor is what is still outstanding on the fee to the barcodes. Assuming it was the standard deal, plop will still have a number of payments to make to them. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't about, er, £20m!

Dont get me wrong mate, i would love it if Carroll signed as he's a very good player, and i agree that a change of tactic is good, i just wouldnt want it to be a primary form of attack.

Saying that, with Bent, Holman, N'Zogbia and Ireland buzzing round him and working off him, im sure it would creat plenty of chances.

Lamberts teams are always fairly direct though, one thing we lack is a big target man so I would imagine somebody like Carroll would be what he is looking for.

Carroll is 23, he's a massive threat in the air and on his day is unplayable.

In all honesty I'd say he could be worth the gamble. Maybe offer £15m + incentives (i.e so many league goals / appearances, international goals etc...)

He does have a massive upside!