General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Maybe we could sign a player who can take a set piece as well? Oh heady days...

I'm sure Nzog can take set pieces. I think we really will see what a good player he is next season. Last season can be written off for the whole team and that includes the likes of Hutton. Every single one of those players are better than what last year suggests. The whole mood around Aston Villa last year was enough to zap the belief out of any player.

Thing is with Hutton is that he's just shite.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess this means we will at least try to sign Caroll. It's nice to see a manager be so open and honest about a potential transfer instead of fans having to play guessing games and count chairs at press conferences :) let's be honest, pre seasons really have been torturous over the years. I blame villatalk! ;)

Would it be a loan or permanent move for Carroll ??

Erm a loan i highly doubt we would pay the 10 million for him and pay his stupid wages. IMO his is shite and not worth going anywhere near.

Would it be a loan or permanent move for Carroll ??

I reckon it would be a loan which would probably suit everyone involved. If he has a good season then we benefit and maybe have the chance to sign him. Transfer fee money could be used elsewhere for more important positions. Also if he has a shocker we wouldn't be stuck with him.

This is all on the basis that liver would be looking to loan him and nobody offers to sign him permanently. You'd think they want at least half of what they paid for him and there is more chance of them getting that if he plays elsewhere week in week out has a good season.

should sign Ian Harte and tell him to stay out of the way for the whole game and just take set-pieces :P

I personally think PL has used Carroll's name to distract from his real target. I don't know who that is and if we're close to getting him, but I get that feeling. Let the media think we're in for Carroll and quietly chase our real target. Perhaps that striker from the Dutch league?

However, if he is in for Andy Carroll - I think it would be a cash-price deal, I can't see a loan deal materialising. It's not in the interests of either club to do that.

I really dislike Bannan but his set pieces were fairly decent today

I like Bannan and I agree that he takes good set pieces but I don't see him starting too regularly next term. If we're going to go down the Carroll route (and I'm far from convinced that we are) then we're also going to need to sign a set piece taker and someone who can actually cross a ball. Frankly I hope we do that anyway, particularly now that Albrighton is out, and I'm sure Mr Bent agrees.

I personally think PL has used Carroll's name to distract from his real target. I don't know who that is and if we're close to getting him, but I get that feeling. Let the media think we're in for Carroll and quietly chase our real target. Perhaps that striker from the Dutch league?

However, if he is in for Andy Carroll - I think it would be a cash-price deal, I can't see a loan deal materialising. It's not in the interests of either club to do that.

If we are going for a striker from Holland... Maybe Wilfried Bony from Vitesse?? 17goals last season big strong centre forward who can finish well!

Don't know how much he would cost though

I would be pretty disappointed with Carroll in any way shape size or form - have we learnt nothing from paying over the odds for limited ability players from Liverpool - Warnock, Heskey, Carson.

Carson - is a case in point - whilst he was on loan there was talk of a £10m fee for him - he had never shown anything to justify that - and now I believe isn't even first choice at his Turkish club - thank god we dodged that liverpool bullett.

Carroll is exactly the same - no goalscoring track record - cumbersome, and regulary misses gilt edge chances. Hes liverpools problem - not ours - lets not dig them out of the shite again.

I reallly feel lambert has more about him than to pursue Carrol - be a real let down - if he signs this oaf

As a Liverpool supporter, I see sense in Carroll moving on loan to Villa or another club willing to pay a sizeable loan fee and subsidise his salary.

If he doesn't fit Rodgers' philosophy even at his best, his value will only depreciate further.

Unless somebody offers £15m + (which they won't), i say farm him out to whoever makes the best offer and see where we are next summer.

If we are going for a striker from Holland... Maybe Wilfried Bony from Vitesse?? 17goals last season big strong centre forward who can finish well!

Think he means Luuk De Jong

Think he means Luuk De Jong

yeah I thought about that but I though he was off to M'gladbach? Either Wilfried or De Jong would be epic :D

Was at the game today... good Villa following for a friendly... Thought first half we were quite poor but that was surely always going to happen with 3 new players half the reserves & a sprinkling of 1st teamers? We did look disjointed in that half & lacked threat badly particularly considering the opposition.

Thought Enda Stevens looked a bit out of his depth in all honesty.. Midfield looked more energetic i felt just severely lacked creativity & that is my main concern... Also our crossing was utterly abysmal time after time & whilst i can understand rustiness to a point i found it rather too poor too often for professional Premier League footballers.

Burton scored a good goal so nothing to worry too much about there as it was simply unstoppable.

Second half was better.. much better in fact & we hardly gave the home side a look in but again just lacked a threat up front & looked really powder puff. We need a presence in the box in my opinion as Bent has literally no scraps to feed off. Time after time crosses came over but were dealt with really easily by the home defence.

So to surmise:

Enda Stevens = not ready

Warnock = same old lapses

New players = Impressed with all of them though need to gel.

Bannan = looked much better than last season

Bent = Easily marked out of it

Fonz = Some good touches but oh such woeful finishing.

Hutton = Awful crossing

Nzogbia = Some good touches & looked slippery but with no end product

Weaknesses = Lack of threat going forwards, zero ariel threat (No wonder we never score from corners & concede so many from set pieces) Weak full backs & a lack of creativity from midfield... No penetration.

Players needed

New striker with ariel threat

Creative midfielder (Even if Ireland fits this role what if he gets injured?)

Left back

Central defender (Preferably one who can score the odd one too)

I would be pretty disappointed with Carroll in any way shape size or form - have we learnt nothing from paying over the odds for limited ability players from Liverpool - Warnock, Heskey, Carson.

Carson - is a case in point - whilst he was on loan there was talk of a £10m fee for him - he had never shown anything to justify that - and now I believe isn't even first choice at his Turkish club - thank god we dodged that liverpool bullett.

Carroll is exactly the same - no goalscoring track record - cumbersome, and regulary misses gilt edge chances. Hes liverpools problem - not ours - lets not dig them out of the shite again.

I reallly feel lambert has more about him than to pursue Carrol - be a real let down - if he signs this oaf

See what you're saying but isn't it a red herring? Limited ability players are limited ability whether they are from Liverpool or anywhere else.

Carson and Carroll have nothing to do with each other.

I agree that Carroll is Liverpool's problem but that doesn't mean he isn't somebody else's solution - I'm sure he is.

Not necessarily Aston Villa's.

Most likely Sam Allardyce's West Ham Utd in my opinion.