General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Whelan in Mallorca for face to face talks with Ramis

Probably negotiating a contract for him to join us. He does love to stick his nose into every other clubs business.

LOL.

If he signs for Wigan then we could presume that we was never in for him, picking Wigan over us would just be silly.

article-1307650607934-0C7BDED900000578-518103_636x368.jpg

If indeed Ramis does have to choose between us and Wigan and he chooses them, then good riddance. If he'd rather live in Wigan, play football in a rugby town and see Dave 'Dumb W*nker' Whelan everyday instead of choosing our superior club then he obviously is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I think it'd be more likely that we weren't offering him anything though.

Edit - Damn word filter.

If Lambert can get the best out the players he currently has, there is no reason why we cannot be back inside the top 8. It wasn't so very long ago that we were in the sort of region and can get there again with a couple more, astute signings. Replace Dunne and Warnock and I think we can compete for the Europa League placings.

I just feel we are so far away from Europe at the moment. Came across one of the match day programmes recently that was Europa League vs Rapid Vienna. Those were the days, 40k+ at VP. What i'd give to have those days back again!

Obviously I want Europem football but "those days" of European football under MON were nothing special. He put out a weakened team to rest his starting eleven for the Premier League games and didn't make substitutions until the 89th minute. We didn't have a hope in hell to proceed further in the competition because MON didn't give it a go and rotation didn't seem to figure in his vocabulary. I remember those European nights used to make me so angry. We got embarassed by Rapid Vienna on more than one occasion too. I remember that banner they had when they came to VP for the second year. They must have been delighted to have drawn us again. Damn you O'Neill.

Hopefully if Lambert did get us into Europe, and I think that's a fair few seasons away, he wouldn't have such a negative approach to the competition. Having played in a Champions League winning side himself, I'd like to think he wouldn't share the same philosophy as MON.

Whilst it may not be as appealing as Champions League I must admit I enjoy watching Europa League.

Watching Athletic reach the final by beating the likes of United, Schalke etc, Valencia beat Stoke was a joy to watch last season for example and if you play appealing football like they did you also get alot of coverage.

The latter stages is when it gets really interesting though.

Not to mention it's easier to attract a higher calibre of player if you have European football to play the next season. Surely there's prize money too and more TV money?

Obviously I want Europem football but "those days" of European football under MON were nothing special. He put out a weakened team to rest his starting eleven for the Premier League games and didn't make substitutions until the 89th minute. We didn't have a hope in hell to proceed further in the competition because MON didn't give it a go and rotation didn't seem to figure in his vocabulary. I remember those European nights used to make me so angry. We got embarassed by Rapid Vienna on more than one occasion too. I remember that banner they had when they came to VP for the second year. They must have been delighted to have drawn us again. Damn you O'Neill.

Hopefully if Lambert did get us into Europe, and I think that's a fair few seasons away, he wouldn't have such a negative approach to the competition. Having played in a Champions League winning side himself, I'd like to think he wouldn't share the same philosophy as MON.

I thought that I should point out that MON won two European cups with forest! Also our first season under MON he took the Europa pretty seriously and only fielded a weakend team in the second leg of the 1st knockout round against CSKA because we were 2nd or 3rd in the league at the time so made to obvious decision to priortise the league given that the first team was just starting to show the first signs of jadedness. Then the following season he made the chioce to rest some of the first team (not all) against Rapid Vienna and in fairness the team we put out should've beaten Rapid Vienna, a couple of poor defensive mistakes cost us. The other season MacDonald was in charge!

Anyway what do people make of the potential sale of Makoun to Rennes? I reckon if we can maybe do a straight swap for Brahimi that would be acceptable to me!

I just feel we are so far away from Europe at the moment. Came across one of the match day programmes recently that was Europa League vs Rapid Vienna. Those were the days, 40k+ at VP. What i'd give to have those days back again!

I'd be happy if we never had to play them again!

Okay maybe a bad example, as they knocked us out, twice. How about Ajax then? 2-1 at VP good times!

Okay maybe a bad example, as they knocked us out, twice. How about Ajax then? 2-1 at VP good times!

I'm trying not to be insulting, are you 10 years old?

Hardly a historic club moment.