Euro 2012: Group C (Spn, Ita, Irl, Cro)

TrentVilla

ibftoZt8zhN5SZ.gif

Pricks.

**** hate that "celebration".

It doesnt bother me really, but I desperately want to see several thousand fans miss a goal when they are doing that. :lol:

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is andrews a pro footballer? All he has done is make crude classless fouls for the whole competition. The irish fans should string him up.

Can`t stand the bloke.

he was our best player

Fair play to the other teams in the group. They handled us more comfortably than I thought they might; particularly Croatia. What would worry me as a Villa fan was the terrible tournament Shay Given had. Even the stuff he did get to, he let bobble away from him most of the time, which is very un-Shay. I hope it was to do with him being injured and only barely making it into the competition and maybe some tiredness. It had better not be a sign of things to come. I bet Lambert watched on in horror and has put "keeper*" on his to-do list.

I thought Richard Dunne had a good tournament. He was almost a one-man defence against Italy. When he wasn't doing his own work he was running around doing St.Ledgers and most of the things that went towards the goal ended up bouncing off some part of the Dunny-monster, so that bodes well.

Our central midfield was exposed as being horribly inept. It was the main reason our defence (Dunne) had so much work to get through. Glenn Whelan is a f**king waste of space and Andrews is too hellbent on being the midfielder who pops up to crack a shot from outside the box, to the detriment of everything else a central midfielder is supposed to do.

It's a shame McClean didn't get more minutes, but then I thought McGeady played well. I'm not a big McGeady fan but credit where it's due. He was one of the few forward players that didn't look out of his depth against that level of opposition. Robbie Keane looked jaded and his partners all looked like cloggers, which they pretty much are at international level.

Stephen Ward was another in the 'atrocious' camp. He was hardly ever in position as a leftback, pretending instead to be an auxiliary 3rd centreback. I can see now why Wolves sank without a trace. Without knowing it, I'd assume he was a lot to do with it on this evidence. O'Shea on the other side played OK considering what he was surrounded by. Other than that, Duff did OK feeding off the scraps.

Basically the most important part of the pitch is far and away our weakest part of the pitch at the moment. Ireland do not have a holding midfielder worthy of the name at the moment; and even waiting in the wings we only really have Ciaran Clark who has played that position for his club to any great degree or level.

There is the bones of a decent side from here onwards though. A midfield of

Clark
Coleman McCarthy Ireland McClean[/code]

is there if we want it. Or put McGeady in centre if we can't get Ireland back in the frame.

We qualified which was an achievement; and the fans represented their country as well as they always do while they were there. This country is going through some hard times at the moment so a bit of a party and a distraction like this was just the tonic we needed. On to the WC qualifiers now. I just hope whoever is in charge is brave enough to bring in the younger fringe players and re-build. There's little point continuing with what we had in these Euros.

It'll be very tough. Germany will win our group, leaving second place between us, Sweden & Austria. The games against Sweden will be key and we don't even have a particularly good record against Austria for some reason. We are good qualifiers though so you never know.

Â