Euro 2012: Group B (Ger, Ned, Por, Den)

TrentVilla

Anyone else notice that Willems, De Jong and Van Der Wiel were the only Dutch players who didn't sing the national anthem?

Anyway, I am glad that Holland are out.

Would have been amazing if Germany had gone with them.

I didnt notice. They were the only black players in the dutch team, is that what you meant?

Yeah, I also noticed that the likes of Boateng, Podolski, Ozil and Khedira do not sing the German anthem and Zlatan does not sing the Swedish anthem.

I guess players who are from immigrant families do not feel patriotic about the country of their birth?

Has anyone noticed the BBC call it Netherlands NED, but ITV call it Holland Hol. Maybe both are acceptable. I have personally always called it Holland.

NED means Nederlands which is Dutch for Netherlands.

Holland is actually a provincial name coming from Noord-Holland (North Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South Holland) and not the name of the country at all.

It would be like calling England, Southampton but in a strange way it's just kind of a given name I suppose.

No it wouldnt. It would be like calling the UK England, which millions of people worldwide do every day.

What about people calling the USA America?

Anyone else notice that Willems, De Jong and Van Der Wiel were the only Dutch players who didn't sing the national anthem?

Anyway, I am glad that Holland are out.

Would have been amazing if Germany had gone with them.

I didnt notice. They were the only black players in the dutch team, is that what you meant?

Yeah, I also noticed that the likes of Boateng, Podolski, Ozil and Khedira do not sing the German anthem and Zlatan does not sing the Swedish anthem.

I guess players who are from immigrant families do not feel patriotic about the country of their birth?

I also know for a fact you're talking out of your hoop.

Has anyone noticed the BBC call it Netherlands NED, but ITV call it Holland Hol. Maybe both are acceptable. I have personally always called it Holland.
NED means Nederlands which is Dutch for Netherlands.

Holland is actually a provincial name coming from Noord-Holland (North Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South Holland) and not the name of the country at all.

It would be like calling England, Southampton but in a strange way it's just kind of a given name I suppose.

No it wouldnt. It would be like calling the UK England, which millions of people worldwide do every day.
What about people calling the USA America?

I think that is slightly different as people who are from the USA are most definitely "Americans".

Because the name "Holland" and our dealing with the people from that part of the world pre dates the current borders of The Netherlands.

The Netherlands is a new country, its not even 200 years old yet, its barely 150 years old with it's current borders. English people have been trading and playing politics with Holland and The Dutch (which were separate places for a hell of a long time)for a thousand years and our language simply hasnt caught up yet. We cant call The Netherlands "the low countries" because the entire region of BENELUX is commonly referred to that here. We cant call it the lowlands because that is historically a part of Scotland, so we are left with the majority of English speaking people referring to that country as Holland because for the longest time that is what it was. You really dont need to draw me a diagram.

So why have I never heard any English person refer to Germany as Prussia? 200 years is a very long time in linguistics and it makes no sense at all. Also, the Netherlands is older than 200 years as it used to include Belgium. (notice the plural in Netherlands?) The term "Netherlands" has been used since the 15th century. So that point is moot too.

For what it's worth, I never expected the Dutch team to do well but this is rediculous, how Van Bommel was anywhere near the team I'll never know, probably just being BVM's son-in-law.

Would also have loved to see Clasie and Maher at least make the squad, their performances last season definitely deserved it and they would have added some much needed desire to the squad as a whole.

So why have I never heard any English person refer to Germany as Prussia?

Dunno, though the fact that they started a couple of world wars significantly raised their profile at a guess.

For what it's worth, I never expected the Dutch team to do well but this is rediculous, how Van Bommel was anywhere near the team I'll never know, probably just being BVM's son-in-law.

Van Bommel was hugely impressive in his time at Milan. If anything it was De Jong he shouldn't have been there, did nothing for Man City last season to warrant being there.

Well when you look at the team, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Robben, Van Persie and Huntelaar are all in their late 27-29, they should be nearing their collective peak. I can see Van Bommel and Joris Mathijsen retiring. Our defence is weak, very weak. Van Der Wiel is decent and has potential to get better but I don't see him ever being up there with Frank De Boer, Ruud Krol, Ronald Koeman or the other big names of Dutch defending. Willems will hopefully become a good player but why he was chosen ahead of Emanuelson or Schaars or even Bouma who was on the bench, I'll never know.

I don't see much coming from the next generation of Dutch players, I worry we may fade slightly like in the early 80s or 00s.

I like Van Marwijk but we need someone to come in who can inspire the players and get them to play Dutch football, not a half hearted attempt at traditional German football but at the same time we need a bit of substance with our style. An advert running during the World cup said "Football isn't total without victory" and "A beautiful loss is still a loss". But I have no idea who, in terms of a manager, can bring that to the national team. Frank De Boer? He was a good assistant for Van Marwijk and is doing a great job with Ajax but is he ready or wanting to do the job? A bit of a wild card, Hiddink? I don't know if he'd be the right man.

I really don't know where we go from here.

I disagree!

Look at this, the 'near future squad'

Stekelenburg/Vorm/Krul Zoet (is a fantastic talented goalkeeper from PSV) (Van der Hart is choosen as best player from the Ajax acadamy last season!)

Van Rhijn (fanstastic RB at Ajax!) Van der Wiel

Heitinga-Douglas (is Dutchman in august)- Viergever- Gouweleeuw - Denswil (all big talents from AZ, Heerenveen, Ajax)- Maduro - De Vrij (much better player than Vlaar)- Bruma perhaps as well

Buttner (good LB at Vitesse)-Pieters-Emanuelson

Anita (best CDM in Holland)- Nigel De Jong- Strootman- Fer

Sneijder- Maher (best talent I have seen in a long long time)- Van der Vaart - Clasie- Afellay

Narsingh- Van Persie- John (talented player at Benfica)- Robben- Elia- Afellay- perhaps even players like Lens and Babel

Van Persie- Huntelaar - Van Wolfswinkel - Dost- Luuk de Jong

And don't the Dutch (= 'Deutsch', ironically) chant "Hup Holland" at their games?

Dutch is not Deutsch hahaha! Deutsch is German ;) Dutch = Nederlands.

No because like I said 'Holland' comes from the names 'Noord-Holland' and 'Zuid-Holland' which are basically the names of the counties that Amsterdam and Rotterdam are in. Why not call the Netherlands, Gelderland, Drenthe, Overijssel or Zeeland?

The UK is a group of countries. England happens to be one of those countries.

The Netherlands is a country. Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland are counties in the country.

Do I need to draw some diagrams or something for you? :|

Holland is an offical nick name of The Netherlands. Italia for example doesn't even translate or know the word netherlands. The only got Ollandia orso which means Holland. Both The Netherlands and Holland are official names.

Fans...

Of course this is fan talk haha! But the Dutch media is waaaaaaaaaaay more rude and harsh on Van Marwijk than me! Van Marwijk will get a shocker once he returned. Everyone 'hates' him. He will be sacked/resign very soon. The boss of the Dutch FA said this was a disgrace. Players aren't a team anymore. Van der Wiel had a fight with some other players. Van Persie wants to play as striker and Afellay as winger. Sneijder wants to play with Huntelaar as striker, Van Persie close to Huntelaar and Van der Vaart on the midfield. It's a mess! Every player wants a different tactic and Van Marwijk is to scared to make hard decisions.

Dutch people/footballers have big mouth. You need to show them who is boss else things go out of hand, like it happened now!

Did you say Babel?

Argh I knew I shouldn't have said that, if at least 10 wingers are injured. You never know about Babel and Lens lol ;)

Trust me, the future is gonna be bright of the Dutch team.

You have too much optimism for the day after :lol:

Thank you for making me feel a little bit better.

What's your opinion on a new manager? Do you think we need one? and who?

£100k fine for Nicklas Bendtner for his celebration against Portugal. The most expensive goal he ever scored. Absolutely ridiculous.

He won't be paying a penny of it.

The best value £100k Paddy Power have spent on advertising this summer.

Bentner will pick up a nice wedge from them as well I'd say.

Â