Euro 2012: Group B (Ger, Ned, Por, Den)

TrentVilla

How could a country who has produced Stam, Koeman and De Boer in last 20 odd years not produce any decent defenders. Mathijsen is OK but Heitinga and Vlaar are woeful

Saw the Bendtner thing again, a foul and yellow card anywhere else. Should've been a pen. Let's hope they don't get any more luck like that.

Im confused, what happened?

I know what you mean. Blatant penalty. And the score was 1-1 at the time too.

How could a country who has produced Stam, Koeman and De Boer in last 20 odd years not produce any decent defenders. Mathijsen is OK but Heitinga and Vlaar are woeful

Heitinga was Evertons player of the season. He is not that bad.

Saw the Bendtner thing again, a foul and yellow card anywhere else. Should've been a pen. Let's hope they don't get any more luck like that.

Im confused, what happened?

I know what you mean. Blatant penalty. And the score was 1-1 at the time too.

Yep. Not that it's nailed on they would've scored the penalty - or that Germany wouldn't have scored a 2nd in the last 10 minutes - but it was a huge turning point. A goal from the penalty and Germany could very well be out.

Has anyone noticed the BBC call it Netherlands NED, but ITV call it Holland Hol. Maybe both are acceptable. I have personally always called it Holland.

NED means Nederlands which is Dutch for Netherlands.

Holland is actually a provincial name coming from Noord-Holland (North Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South Holland) and not the name of the country at all.

It would be like calling England, Southampton but in a strange way it's just kind of a given name I suppose.

So ITV have it wrong then? And who do you blame for Netherlands exit?

Not sure, I think only Van Der Vaart and Sneijder have played to their best but then Van Marwijk has to take some blame as I don't think he has picked the right teams in the first two games. I think if Huntelaar had started and a real left back was selected, we'd have beaten Denmark, done better agianst Germany and been more confident coming into tonight's game.

The new football being played under Van Marwijk worked in 2010 with a better suited team but now, we just look to be passing about too much, barely any creativity and we don't seem to have any idea so we try the same things over and over no matter how many times they fail.

Van Persie is strange, in an Arsenal shirt he is World Class, for Holland he is terrible (just watching him miss yet another chance).

There just isn't any passion or fight in the team.

I don't know how we go on from here really.

Against Denmark, Netherlands had a clear penalty that wasnt given, that could have changed the whole campaign for them. I think Netherlands will be fine, the qualifying group they are in for the world cup is relatively easy and the world cup groups are always easier. The Dutch will be back, no doubt that.

Well when you look at the team, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Robben, Van Persie and Huntelaar are all in their late 27-29, they should be nearing their collective peak. I can see Van Bommel and Joris Mathijsen retiring. Our defence is weak, very weak. Van Der Wiel is decent and has potential to get better but I don't see him ever being up there with Frank De Boer, Ruud Krol, Ronald Koeman or the other big names of Dutch defending. Willems will hopefully become a good player but why he was chosen ahead of Emanuelson or Schaars or even Bouma who was on the bench, I'll never know.

I don't see much coming from the next generation of Dutch players, I worry we may fade slightly like in the early 80s or 00s.

I like Van Marwijk but we need someone to come in who can inspire the players and get them to play Dutch football, not a half hearted attempt at traditional German football but at the same time we need a bit of substance with our style. An advert running during the World cup said "Football isn't total without victory" and "A beautiful loss is still a loss". But I have no idea who, in terms of a manager, can bring that to the national team. Frank De Boer? He was a good assistant for Van Marwijk and is doing a great job with Ajax but is he ready or wanting to do the job? A bit of a wild card, Hiddink? I don't know if he'd be the right man.

I really don't know where we go from here.

Apart from Turkey who are average, the world cup qualifying group is very easy. This is the 1st time the Netherlands have exited at the group stage since the 1980s. I personally dont see any problem for the future of Dutch football. Willems will be good in the future, saw a few glimpses of quality.

Anyone else notice that Willems, De Jong and Van Der Wiel were the only Dutch players who didn't sing the national anthem?

Anyway, I am glad that Holland are out.

Would have been amazing if Germany had gone with them.

I just cannot believe a team this good is going to get 0 points, it is just shocking. VDV, Van Persie, Huntelaar, Sneijder, Robben (when hes not being selfish) and Afellay are all world class. Steklenberg is very good. It just goes to show you need to be a team player.

Imagine if it was England.

Everyone would be ripping into us saying how crap and overrated we are etc.

Let's see them say the same about the Dutch :|

The Netherlands were bloody awful. I havent seen a team look so dodgy at the back since, well, since Aston Villa in 2011/12 but its been an unusual season. TV seems surprised that they only scored twice in three games, personally I am more surprised that they didnt get a bloody good hiding from somebody. I think its clear they came into this competition massively over rated by a lot of people (myself included) but their form going into the tournament appeared to be good. Ive just gone back and looked at their qualifiers and it was a relatively poor group, the Netherlands & Sweden comfortably qualified ahead of the likes of Hungary, Finland, Moldova & San Marino. They did well in the groups in 2010, but in the knockout stages they had Slovakia, then beat 10 man Brazil thanks to a couple of defensive howlers and then played Uruguay who had Surarez suspended in the semi final. Are they just an average side with some big name players who just happened to have the rub of the green for a couple of years before this summer?

Anyone else notice that Willems, De Jong and Van Der Wiel were the only Dutch players who didn't sing the national anthem?

I didnt notice. They were the only black players in the dutch team, is that what you meant?

Has anyone noticed the BBC call it Netherlands NED, but ITV call it Holland Hol. Maybe both are acceptable. I have personally always called it Holland.

Holland is actually a provincial name coming from Noord-Holland (North Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South Holland) and not the name of the country at all.

It would be like calling England, Southampton but in a strange way it's just kind of a given name I suppose.

No it wouldnt. It would be like calling the UK England, which millions of people worldwide do every day.

I didnt notice. They were the only black players in the dutch team, is that what you meant?

Van Der Wiel and De Jong never sing it for some reason.

The Netherlands were bloody awful. I havent seen a team look so dodgy at the back since, well, since Aston Villa in 2011/12 but its been an unusual season

we did play a similar Dutch style system ;)

No it wouldnt. It would be like calling the UK England, which millions of people worldwide do every day.

No because like I said 'Holland' comes from the names 'Noord-Holland' and 'Zuid-Holland' which are basically the names of the counties that Amsterdam and Rotterdam are in. Why not call the Netherlands, Gelderland, Drenthe, Overijssel or Zeeland?

The UK is a group of countries. England happens to be one of those countries.

The Netherlands is a country. Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland are counties in the country.

Do I need to draw some diagrams or something for you? :|

Because the name "Holland" and our dealing with the people from that part of the world pre dates the current borders of The Netherlands.

The Netherlands is a new country, its not even 200 years old yet, its barely 150 years old with it's current borders. English people have been trading and playing politics with Holland and The Dutch (which were separate places for a hell of a long time)for a thousand years and our language simply hasnt caught up yet. We cant call The Netherlands "the low countries" because the entire region of BENELUX is commonly referred to that here. We cant call it the lowlands because that is historically a part of Scotland, so we are left with the majority of English speaking people referring to that country as Holland because for the longest time that is what it was. You really dont need to draw me a diagram.

Â