Ad skipping TV box makes US networks hit the Panic button

Chindie

A legal row has erupted in the US over a set-top box that lets viewers skip over adverts in recorded TV shows.

Three US TV broadcasters, Fox, NBC and CBS, have sued the maker of the device, Dish Network, in a bid to ensure viewers see ads.

Dish Network has filed a separate lawsuit which asks a court to declare that ad-skipping can go ahead.

The networks fear that if viewers choose not to see ads their main source of revenue will dry up.

The Hopper digital video recorder was unveiled in early 2012 by Dish Network. On 10 May it added an "auto hop" feature that allowed viewers to completely skip over adverts that interrupted shows they had recorded.

The lawsuits of the TV networks, which were filed individually, allege that the ad hopping is illegal because it involves the gadget making an unauthorised version of a copyrighted TV show.

In its lawsuit Fox claims showing a programme without ads amounts to re-broadcasting - which violates agreements Dish has with the company.

Fox spokesman Scott Goggin said the ad hopping feature could end up "destroying the fundamental underpinnings of the broadcast television ecosystem".

The large US TV networks depend on cash from ads for survival. Worldwide spending on TV ads looks set to reach $200bn (£128bn) by 2017.

To fend off the claims of the networks, Dish has asked a court to look into the row and declare that the Hopper DVR does not violate copyright.

Media analyst Todd Mitchell at Brean Murray said introducing the ad hopping was a negotiating tactic by Dish which wants to pay less to air shows from large broadcasters.

"This is about programming costs," said Mr Mitchell. "Dish is saying, if you want to charge me up to the wazoo, we will disable commercials. But if you charge us less, we can disable the feature."

Dish Network is the second largest satellite broadcaster in the US and has about 14 million customers.

Ze Beeb

I think this is great. A company gets fed up of being charged through the nose to air shows, so shoves 2 fingers up to all the networks by making a tv box that can at the press of a button negate advertising on recorded shows, threatening the broadcasters revenues.

Anything that pisses off advertisers can probably be considered a good thing.

Seems weird as any TV recorder lets you skip adverts. Ok you might physically be seeing them for the 5 seconds it takes to fast forward, rather than skip. But you're still not watching the adverts.

Yeah it does seem a little strange considering you've always been able to fast forward the adverts anyway. It's an interesting debate, I don't see a problem with skipping adverts anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone ever actually watch an advert and think to themselves "Ooooh, i'm going to go and buy that now?"

I don't think i've ever seen one advert which has made me actually want a product. It just goes in one ear and out the next.

That is basically the argument that the Dish Network have made. They argue that loads of TV boxes already offer features that let people skip chunks of ads, be that 30 second skip features or simply fast forward, and that people already choose to not be an audience to ads by changing channel or going for a piss.

Fox's claim that recording a show without ads is tantamount to making a knock off copy of it is laughable, especially since the US Supreme court ruled years ago that recording something for personal use after broadcast is completely legal.

Yeah it does seem a little strange considering you've always been able to fast forward the adverts anyway. It's an interesting debate, I don't see a problem with skipping adverts anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone ever actually watch an advert and think to themselves "Ooooh, i'm going to go and buy that now?"

I don't think i've ever seen one advert which has made me actually want a product. It just goes in one ear and out the next.

That's not really the point of a lot of adverts though.

If it's a new product that you didn't know existed then yes, their aim is to make you sit up and say "I want one of those"

But usually it's just to get you to choose them over someone else for something you'd buy anyway.

So when you think "hmmm I need some washing powder" you automatically go and pick up some Bold because it's the first one you thought of. It's subconcious to a certain degree.

Anyway, that's off topic.

On topic, I have wondered in the past if companies might start tailoring adverts to sky+ boxes (or similar boxes). Like for example the advert would just be 30 seconds of one shot. A picture of the product or a slogan.

That way when you're fast forwarding you'd still see a legible advert, even if it's only for a second or two.

On one hand the broadcasters haven't a leg to stand on. On the other hand, the American justice system is lobbied by big business, so justice will have little or nothing to do with the decision. I wouldn't like to call it.

Yeah adverts these days are increasingly about brand awareness more than 'product' awareness. The advertising world has a problem though, people are increasingly 'advertising savvy' and have found ways to ignore it - adblock online, being able to zone out adverts and not giving them attention, etc.

The convenience of DVRs for skipping ads has terrified advertising agencies for a while and they've slowly begun to react to it. They weren't happy about people being able to fast forward ads at will, but a company permitting people to completely remove ads from major shows really has them, and by extension the networks relying on ad revenue, worried, especially as people increasingly use DVRs to 'timeshift' programmes. When you had to use videos there was a trade off, the video was a consumable that eventually wore out and the quality was usually crap, and it was sometimes awkward to get everything ready for recording. Now, you press a button and get a perfect recording, probably in HD, to watch when you like and you don't need to worry about running out of tapes or the tape degrading and costing you more money - you watch something, and delete it, and can use the same space to record something just as well next time. So, with busy lifestyles and everything else vying for attention, recording something to watch later is a no brainer...

The reaction will see more product placement, possibly overt product placement, in shows, more obvious show sponsorship, and adding in unskippable to advertising more thoroughly - something thats already in place for on demand video. On demand is one future of tv viewing (where companies will just put their entire schedule on a library for you to watch as and when you like, rather than the iplayer style we have now) and you can bet the advertisers will chuck money at broadcasters to add in forced advert breaks to it.

Dish Network managed to get the settlement of Clark, Texas, to rename itself "Dish" in return for free satellite tv equipment.

Which made me wonder, if the offer had been rump steak, would they have been content to call their village "Arse"?

Probably.

Miscellaneous crazy town names

Hopeulikit, Georgia

Knockemstiff, Ohio

Cut and Shoot, Texas

Slaughterville, Oklahoma

Jot 'Em Down, Texas

Rough And Ready, California

Faggarts Crossroads, NC.

Coward, South Carolina

Spunky Puddle, Ohio

Bridal Veil, Oregon

Howey In The Hills, Florida

Bug Tussle, Oklahoma

Firetown, Connecticut

Burns Down, South Carolina

Pyro, Ohio

Frankenstein, Missouri

Goblintown, Virginia

Monks Hammock, Louisiana

Monks Misery, Maryland

No Mirage, California

Gun Barrel City, Texas

Humptulips, Washington

Looneyville, Minnesota

Looneyville, New York

Looneyville, Texas

Looneyville, West Virginia

Mormon Bar, California

Nimrod, Minnesota

Scrabble, West Virginia

Snapfinger, Georgia

Cyclone, Texas

Storms, Ohio

Hurricane, Utah

Wind Blow, North Carolina

Tarzan, Texas

Tightwad, Missouri

What Cheer, Iowa

Yazoo City, Mississippi

Zigzag, Oregon

And a partridge in a pear tree

Christmas, Florida

Christmas Cove, Maine

Christmas City, Utah

Christmas Valley, Oregon

Christmasville, Tennessee

Santa Claus, Georgia

Santa, Idaho

Eggnog, Utah

Tannenbaum, Arkansas

North Pole, Alaska

North Pole, New York

Mmmmmmm -- I'm hungry!

Sandwich, Massachusetts

Cookietown, Oklahoma

Candy Town, Ohio

Hershey, Pennsylvania

Bacon, Delaware

Cheddar, South Carolina

Cheesetown, Pennsylvania

Cheeseville, Wisconsin

Cheeseville, California

Cranberry Marsh, Wisconsin

Ding Dong, Texas

Rabbit Hash, Kentucky

Bread Loaf, Vermont

Beans, New Hampshire

Oatmeal, Texas

Two Egg, Florida

Goose Egg, Wyoming

Toast, North Carolina

Chocolate Bayou, Texas

Lick Skillet, Virginia

Milk Springs, Alabama

Milkwater, Arizona

Buttermilk, Arkansas

Buttermilk, Kansas

Coke, Virginia

Tea, South Dakota

Coffee City, Texas

Coffee Creek, Montana

Hot Coffee, Mississippi

Pie, West Virginia

Twin Peaks, California

Yum Yum, Tennessee

Where's the remote?

Becker, Minnesota

Bonanza, Oregon

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Dallas, Texas

Daniel Boone, Kentucky

Falcon Crest, North Carolina

Ironside, Oregon

Jericho, Vermont

Lancer, Kentucky

Lost, Minnesota

Mannix, Montana

Matlock, Washington

McCloud, Tennessee

Monk, Oklahoma

Rawhide, Nevada

Truth or Consequences, NM

Twin Peaks, California

Beam us up, Scotty

Enterprise, West Virginia

Tribble, West Virginia

Roddenberry, Georgia

Captain, Virginia

Kirk, Texas

Kirk, New York

Star, Oklahoma

McCoy, Colorado

McCoy, Ohio

Romulus, New York

Excelsior, West Virginia

Riker, Pennsylvania

La Forge, Missouri

Lore, Iowa

Wesley, Iowa

Crusher, Oklahoma

Wesley, Arkansas

Crusher, Texas

Minuet, North Carolina

Gamma, Georgia

Gamma, Missouri

Captain, Virginia

Archer, Montana

Archer, Florida

Archer, Nebraska

Phlox, Indiana

Phlox, Wisconsin

Vulcan, West Virginia

Quiet down out there!

Yelling Settlement, Alabama

Yellville, Arkansas

Yell, Tennessee

Screamer, Alabama

Screamer, Tennessee

Screamersville, Virginia

Loudville, Massachusetts

Hoop and Holler, Texas

Hoot and Holler Crossing, Texas

Holler, Maryland

Never? Never ever? Are you sure?

Neversink, New York

Neversink, Pennsylvania

Neverfail, Tennessee

Uh, I think I'll pass

Boring, Oregon

Crapo, Maryland

Dull, Ohio

Hobo Station, Mississippi

Ordinary, Virginia

Poor Town, North Carolina

Poorman Side, Pennsylvania

Shacktown, North Carolina

This town's really alive with activity!

Deadmans, Ohio

Deadman Landing, Florida

Deadman Crossing, Ohio

Deadmans Corner, Wyoming

Deadmans Corner, Maine

Dead Mans Crossing, Indiana

Dead Women Crossing, Oklahoma

Get your mind out of the gutter!

Loveladies, New Jersey

Hooker, Oklahoma

Hooker Hole, Louisiana

Romance, Arkansas

Horneytown, North Carolina

French Lick, Indiana

Sweet Lips, Tennessee

Fanny, West Virginia

Busti, New York

Bird in Hand, Pennsylvania

Big Beaver, Pennsylvania

Butts, Georgia

Buttzville, New Jersey

Dicktown, New Jersey

Erect, North Carolina

New Erection, Virginia

Dickshooter, Idaho

Intercourse, Pennsylvania

Loving, New Mexico

Climax, Georgia

Conception, Missouri

Fidelity, Missouri

Take that thing outside!

Deadhorse, Alaska

Horse Head, Virginia

Deerhead, New York

Horseheads, New York

Hungry Horse, Montana

Spotted Horse, Wyoming

Buffalo Mop, Texas

Gray Mule, Texas

Mule Barn, Oklahoma

Forked Deer, Tennessee

Lame Deer, Montana

Running Deer, Virginia

White Deer, Pennsylvania

Sleeping Buffalo, Montana

Monkey Box, Florida

Monkey Run, Missouri

Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky

Possum Trot, Kentucky

Possum Grape, Arkansas

Elephant Butte, New Mexico

Elephant Park, Colorado

Bearmouth, Montana

Tiger, Oklahoma

Tiger Bay, Florida

Turkey Scratch, Arkansas

Billy Goat Hill, Alabama

Goat Town, Georgia

Bat Cave, North Carolina

Dogtown, California

Where did I leave my keys?

Accord, Massachusetts

Cadillac, Michigan

Chevrolet, Kentucky

Dodge, Massachusetts

Dodge City, Kansas

Ford, Mississippi

Plymouth, Michigan

Pontiac, Michigan

Go to Hell - Hell, Michigan, of course!

Hell, Michigan

Hell, Riverside County, California

Hell Hollow, New Hampshire

Hells Corners, Ohio

Half Hell, North Carolina

Devil's Backbone, Connecticut

Devils Den, California

Devils Elbow, Missouri

Devils Lake, North Dakota

Devils Slide, Utah

Devils Tower, Wyoming

Devil Town, Ohio

Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina

Red Devil, Alaska

Seven Devils, North Carolina

Heaven only knows

Angel City, Texas

Angel Fire, New Mexico

Angels Camp, California

Angeltown, Tennessee

Heavenly Hills, California

Heavenly Valley, California

Little Heaven, Delaware

Heaven Heights, Massachusetts

Convent, Louisiana

Pray, Montana

C'mon get happy

Happy Valley, Hawaii

Happy Land, Oklahoma

Happy Hills, Massachusetts

Happyland, Connecticut

Happy Hollow, Ohio

You do what to toads?

Toad Suck, Arkansas

Lizard Lick, North Carolina

Toadvine, Alabama

Frogtown, Illinois

Frogtown, Mississippi

Frog City, Illinois

Frogmore, Louisiana

Frognot, Texas

Mousetown, Maryland

Mouse Island, Maine

Squirrel Town, Ohio

Chipmonk, New York

Penny for your thoughts

Penny Hill, Delaware

Nickel, Texas

Dime Box, Texas

New Quarters, Louisiana

Dollar, Tennessee

Coin, Iowa

Money, Mississippi

Money Creek, Minnesota

Money Island Beach, North Carolina

You've got to be an awfully bad cook

Burnt Water, Arizona

Burntfork, Wyoming

Burnt Cane, Arkansas

Burnt Cabins, Pennsylvania

Burnt Chimney Corner, North Carolina

Burnt Corn, Alabama

Burnt Creek, Georgia

Burnt Factory, Virginia

Burnt Factory, West Virginia

Burnt Hickory Farms, Georgia

Burnt Hills, New York

Burnt House, West Virginia

Burnt Mills, Maryland

Burnt Ranch, California

Burnt Prairie, Illinois

Burnt Tree, Virginia

Burnt Woods, Maryland

Burnt Woods, Oregon

Get the bug spray

Mosquitoville, Vermont

Fleatown, Ohio

Flea Valley, California

Ticktown, Virginia

Tick Bite, North Carolina

Bug Hill, North Carolina

Roach, Nevada

Roaches, Illinois

Cricket Corner, New Hampshire

Cricket Hill, Georgia

Grasshopper Junction, Arizona

Shoofly, North Carolina

Spider, Kentucky

Spiderweb, South Carolina

Because I said so!

Why, Arizona

Whynot, Mississippi

Whynot, North Carolina

Ynot, Montana

What do they say?

Talking Rock, Georgia

Hollow Rock, Tennessee

Blowing Rock, North Carolina

Point of Rocks, Wyoming

Bean Rock, Alabama

Link

In a way, we shouldn't be happy about this.

If we like TV, they're funded by adverts, so losing advertising revenue means losing their funding and, you would think, the quality of programming?

Or will it be a case of the big channels will always survive, and the 7 billion other channels that pop up every day will suffer and die?

In a way, we shouldn't be happy about this.

If we like TV, they're funded by adverts, so losing advertising revenue means losing their funding and, you would think, the quality of programming?

Or will it be a case of the big channels will always survive, and the 7 billion other channels that pop up every day will suffer and die?

Advertising revenue doesn't seem to have improved the quality of programmes. The opposite, in fact. A thousand channels of utter shite.

I have a box and I always skip ads, and indeed i hardly ever watch live TV any more. However, if we all skip ads, no advertisers will use TV, TV companies will have no money and there'll be no programmes on for me to watch. How does this cycle get broken?

I had a JVC video way way back that used to skip the adverts when it recorded anything that had them .. used PDC or something if i recall

seem to recall the early TIVO box did it as well and then had to drop it due to pressure from the advertisers

If I was to watch for example a movie on one of the main networks over here, you will get about 20 mins ad-free at the start (to suck you in) after which you get something like 4 mins ads, 8 mins movie, 4 mins ads etc etc. Maybe if the broadcasters stopped using so many **** adverts and stopped tricks like massively increasing the volume when they come one, people wouldn't be so keen to skip them.

I had a JVC video way way back that used to skip the adverts when it recorded anything that had them .. used PDC or something if i recall

Yeah, we had the same. Very clever back in the day. Also Video+ was great, not many people knew what the **** it was.

Yeah, we had the same. Very clever back in the day. Also Video+ was great, not many people knew what the **** it was.

Video+, wow, blast from the past!

Â