John Gregory

VillakevBromsgrove

I think he could be joking about him applying for the job. I follow him on twitter and its clear the John loves the villa. You could well blame Ellis for not giving him that final push although he did want to spend the money on Izzit!

I remember we went top for about a day or 2 in 01/02 and he wanted Johan Micoud and we never bid and he went on to be brilliant for Werder in Bundesliga.

I think that you will find that somewhere during Gregory's reign, we had the longest sustained period at he top of the Premier League of any club.

And we didn't even qualify for Europe :cry:

No chance. Surely that honour goes to Arsenal especially given their unbeaten season and all.

Managers I'd give JG the job to ahead of:

Di Matteo

Grayson

McCarthy, obviously

Capello

Ranieri

Managers I'd give the job to ahead of JG:

OGS (sigh!)

Lambert

Martinez

Rodgers

AVB, obviously

Poyet

As managers of Aston Villa, would you say if Gregory or MON achieved more?

But MON was given a ridiculous amount of money! God knows where we'd be now with Lerner's backing under Gregory, could we have hung on in 2001? I feel a bit sick thinking about it actually.

**** it, I'm starting the Bring Gregory Back movement. We aren't going to win anything for the next 5 years, let's have some fun.

It was strange with him. The team would go on long unbeaten runs then when we eventually lost couldn't win again for about 3 months!

I think you can sum his run in two parts, pre and post the cup final.

In the two years before the cup final 98-00, it was free flowing attacking football pretty much all the time.

From the moment the whistle blew at Wembley and the 18 months that followed, it was defensive football McLeish would be proud of.

Aside from his attacks on Ellis, I never quite understood why the tactics changed so dramatically under his reign.

He got nervous of losing as Doug was watching for any excuse to get rid - they didn't see eye to eye as JG says it as it is, even giving it large during games in the Directors box :) (as one or two broken seats will testify)

Yeah that's true.

We went on a downhill spiral after losing the cup final really. The negative display in the cup final didn't help and that summer the likes of Ugo, James and Southgate all wanted to leave. A couple of months later JG came out with his infamous "timewarp" comment about Doug although he somehow managed to last another year from that comment.

His reign was really similar to MON, first couple of years had a really feelgood factor about them but then the momentum was lost with key matches being lost and key players leaving.

I've been wanting Gregory back since January, when McUseless should have been fired.

Sure, he's not done anything since leaving us, but when he is Villa - through-and-through - it must be hard to go elsewhere and do well.

At least he'd **** off Dunne, Warnock, Hutton etc... he'd never put up with their bollocks displays. He'd get the team galvanized and as someone else said - we won't win shit all for years to come, so why not have a character with a bit of flamboyancy so at least we'd all enjoy the roller-coaster ride that supporting this club brings.

It was strange with him. The team would go on long unbeaten runs then when we eventually lost couldn't win again for about 3 months!

I think you can sum his run in two parts, pre and post the cup final.

In the two years before the cup final 98-00, it was free flowing attacking football pretty much all the time.

From the moment the whistle blew at Wembley and the 18 months that followed, it was defensive football McLeish would be proud of.

Aside from his attacks on Ellis, I never quite understood why the tactics changed so dramatically under his reign.

There's a great picture of a press conference with JG and Doug sat apart looking in the opposite directions.

He got nervous of losing as Doug was watching for any excuse to get rid - they didn't see eye to eye as JG says it as it is, even giving it large during games in the Directors box :) (as one or two broken seats will testify)

Just been going through JG's twitter account.

He really wants the job and I believe he'd do it well. Sod all this young, fresh manager shit - we need a manager that has everything Mcleish lacked - ENTHUSIASM, PASSION, VILLA IN THEIR BLOOD, CAN CHANGE A GAME etc...

If OGS was first choice, then maybe in 2 seasons we can go back in for him. But for now, please, please, please Randy, make supporting this club of ours 'fun' again and give us a Villa hero to take us into the new season.

As for all the 'he's been out the game too long' rubbish. I haven't rode a bike for about 6 years - I'd still be able to get on one and have a ride around still.

It's either this happens folks or we end up with either of the following options...

1. McCarthy, Bruce or Lennon

2. An unknown foreigner who ends up as being as shit as Ramos at Spurs

No man is going to be the perfect fit.

Too old, too young, too high profile, too low profile. etc, etc

Its becoming clear to me, what was one of the most sought after jobs in the country, now is seen as a poisoned chalice,thats how far our stock has dropped.

I seem to get a distinct impression that anyone with no attachment to B6 seems to stuggle to understand what the attraction really is.

I look back and see John Gregory, Brian Little, Ron Atkinson and the man that left Ron Saunders some decent young Kids Vic Crowe.... and think what a decent job they did in comparison to recent events.

I am starting to think right now, that maybe just maybe it is the right time for a Manager with B6 connections to have a go.

You would hope that Randy could support him a bit better than HDE did to give them a bit of a fighting chance.

If what I suspect is true, that we are being turned down by potential managers who IMO are damn bloody lucky to be in the frame for the job, then it maybe to time to think again.

We have ex Villa people that swamp the air waves with their punditry, so we must breed some Knowledgeable ex's

Lets protect our pride and go for a Villa boy.... as limited as that might make us.

some of the lesser mortals out there that do want the job are no better than what we can muster from our past.

lets close ranks

Going back to previous managers have pretty rarely gotten good results in clubs, and will be even bigger risk than OGS. But I still rather would take JG than Fathead-Bruce or Mad Mick, on just the basis of his passion toward the club. What this club would need more than what JG could offer, would be someone who brings completely new way of thinking, which is why I'd like manager to be from outside UK without experience in UK Football.

get him back in, he'd sort out the arse-holes that are currently draining the life out of the Villa, probably one of the best times I have had being a Villa fan was when JG was in charge, he always struck me as a fan living the dream, and as a fan he expected the players to do their jobs and fight for the shirt, its what we need now, a manager with passion for the club who can instil that passion into the players and make us proud again.

If we find ourselves scraping the barrel like last summer I'd rather we just bring Gregory back than appoint someone like McCarthy or Bruce. Don't know why we didn't appoint him last summer to be honest. It may have been over 10 years since he managed us but he's still been our best manager so far this century.

Â