John Gregory

VillakevBromsgrove

Can understand JG frustration, how can anybody having the lifestyle adoration and money they had at this time expect any normal person to see why they are depressed.

Depression like any other mental illness is no respecter of wealth, fame or fortune!

It's like saying how could Stilian Petrov get Leukaemia when he's captain of Villa with all that wealth?!!!!

Mental or physical illnesses can strike anyone at anytime and having listened to Collymore talking candidly on TS about mental illnesses - he's been suffering with depression since he was a teenager. His Mum has suffered all her life also.

Besides I know stuff about Stan from an ITK source.... and take it from me the depression was/is a symptom of an underlying affliction.

I did not say I agreed with it but can understand it, at the time it was happening little was known or said about depression, from a management point of view JG just wanted him on the pitch performing to his best and earning his money. He could not understand Stans illness and it lead to frustration as it also did with the majority of the fans,

This is not the reason I dont like him but his constant garbage he speaks on talk trash and his constant references to Villa as if he is ITK,

Besides I know stuff about Stan from an ITK source.... and take it from me the depression was/is a symptom of an underlying affliction.

I knew Chris Wright who was Stans manager at Stafford Rangers he always spoke very highly of Stan but I always got the impression that their was something he wasn't letting on about.

Now if we were talking about a certain D Atkinson there are things that I knew about his "injury" when he 1st arrived from RS but that's a whole different story for another day lol.

Back on topic, I loved JG both as a player and for the enthusiasm he brought to VP but I would rather have the memories than him return and fail as I doubt the "modern" players with their power would understand John's SOH.

It wasn't that JG didn't understand depression, he just did not understand Stan Collymore like a lot of us, Stan Collymore's best performance for Villa was John Gregory's first game. I think JG gave Stan a lot of time, remember he did sign Paul Merson who had his own problems.

Can understand JG frustration, how can anybody having the lifestyle adoration and money they had at this time expect any normal person to see why they are depressed.

Depression like any other mental illness is no respecter of wealth, fame or fortune!

It's like saying how could Stilian Petrov get Leukaemia when he's captain of Villa with all that wealth?!!!!

Mental or physical illnesses can strike anyone at anytime and having listened to Collymore talking candidly on TS about mental illnesses - he's been suffering with depression since he was a teenager. His Mum has suffered all her life also.

I think JG probably misjudged the situation, but it's easy to forget that depression then was a lot less understood (by the public) than it is now. And Collymore probably wasn't the easiest guy to work with, sick or not. Phenomenal talent though.

I would have Gregory back in a heart beat. HE was fantastic for us and is 100% a Villa fan.

He would kick the shot heads like Warnock, Collins and Hutton as far down the Lichfiled Rd as he could!

Now there's a letter I'd love to see a leaked copy of...

"Dear Mr Gregory

Thank you very much for your letter of application for the post of manager of Aston Villa Football Club, with which you enclosed a CV detailing your experience with the Club over ten years ago and your managerial career since then.

As you will probably be aware, we received a high level of applications for this post and, unfortunately...(etc., etc.)"

:)

Funnier things have happened

"Dear Mr McLeish

Thank you very much for your letter of application for the post of manager of Aston Villa Football Club, with which you enclosed a CV detailing your experience in Scottish football and your managerial career since then along with your letter of recommendation from Sir Alex Ferguson himself.

We are delighted to offer you the job"

:shock:

It was strange with him. The team would go on long unbeaten runs then when we eventually lost couldn't win again for about 3 months!

I think you can sum his run in two parts, pre and post the cup final.

In the two years before the cup final 98-00, it was free flowing attacking football pretty much all the time.

From the moment the whistle blew at Wembley and the 18 months that followed, it was defensive football McLeish would be proud of.

Aside from his attacks on Ellis, I never quite understood why the tactics changed so dramatically under his reign.

Id give him the job ahead of anyone else at the minute, Lambert no longer inspires me, Martinez would have been a nice man to get in when Mon was in charge for the month of March, the only person I'd give it to ahead of him at the moment would be that guy who applied and got Braga to the Europa final.

No thanks, never go back and he has done nothing of any note since he left.

Managers I'd give JG the job to ahead of:

Di Matteo

Grayson

McCarthy, obviously

Capello

Ranieri

Managers I'd give the job to ahead of JG:

OGS (sigh!)

Lambert

Martinez

Rodgers

AVB, obviously

Poyet

I think Grayson and McCarthy are the only two people you have named there that would actually say yes to us. I think we are in big trouble

Managers I'd give JG the job to ahead of:

Di Matteo

Grayson

McCarthy, obviously

Capello

Ranieri

Managers I'd give the job to ahead of JG:

OGS (sigh!)

Lambert

Martinez

Rodgers

AVB, obviously

Poyet

I think Grayson and McCarthy are the only two people you have named there that would actually say yes to us. I think we are in big trouble

Exactly how I feel at the moment.

Â