John Gregory

VillakevBromsgrove

Have the people posting in favour of Gregory actually looked at his managerial career since he left Villa?

It's been one chaotic disaster after another.

Or was this thread just started for a bet? :lol:

Yeah, it worries me. Just because he had some good times with us more than 10 years ago, he seems flavour of the month.

All I'll say is this is how I felt when certain Villa managers left.......

Graham Taylor Mk 1 - Gutted, but could understand why.

Venglos - Very fecking relieved.

Big Ron - A little disappointed but not surprise given the season we where having

Little Brian - Expected

Grecian - Very Angry

Graham Taylor Mk2 - His return never marred the respect I had for the guy, and at the time the problems we where having then are similar to the ones we are having now.

D'Ol - Very fecking relieved. All started rosy, but somehow with better players we went into Decline. Odd.

Mon - Shocked.

Houllier - Meh, would have been interesting given a full pre season as you could see what he was trying to do, but results weren't good enough.

McLeish - Lets all have a disco.

So Gregory was the only one I was pretty angry that left, as I felt he was our man and try successful. I don't think any British manager has done well in the middle east, (I haven't researched it though, so I might be wrong!) - I would still give him another go ahead of Mad Mick, Fistface Bruce our Relegation Reid, because he is Claret and Blue and I could see him galvanising the club again.

Graham Taylor was also claret and blue the second time. Also JG didn't win anything but Little did, why not bring him back instead (for the record I want neither).

Liverpool looked foolish for bringing back Dalglish, we'll look unattractive and laughable if we have to go back and bringing in somebody from the past because nobody else will come.

i did love Gregory but the below doesn't make good reading does it, and that's not including what happened at Derby.

------------

On 20 September 2006 he was unveiled as manager of Queens Park Rangers. He replaced Gary Waddock, who had stepped down following a poor succession of results that had left the club bottom of the Football League Championship.[2] This appointment caused a schism among QPR fans, some of whom saw Gregory's friendship with controversial chairman Gianni Paladini as a conflict of interest. After a decent start with successive victories over Hull City and Southampton, Rangers form dipped before winning three on the bounce (including a victory at (then) league leaders Cardiff City). Unfortunately, results did not continue to improve, and relegation looked a distinct possibility for Gregory's men. However, following a fine late season run, QPR beat Cardiff 1–0 at Loftus Road on 21 April 2007 to secure their Championship status for another year. Gregory was sacked as QPR manager on 1 October 2007, after another string of poor performances.[3]

On 8 December 2009, Gregory was appointed the manager of Israeli club Maccabi Ahi Nazareth.[4] He led them to relegation.

On 18 May 2010 Gregory signed a 3 year contract with Israeli Premier League Club F.C. Ashdod. He resigned from Ashdod on 18 April 2011, with the club facing the possibility of relegation.[5]

On 13 June 2011, Gregory was appointed the manager of Kazakh club FC Kairat from Almaty, Kazakhstan.[6] Kairat were relegated at the end of the 2011 season to the second tier of Kazakhstan football.

In April 2012, Gregory had his contract as manager of FC Kairat terminated and was paid $120,000 in compensation.[7]

i did love Gregory but the below doesn't make good reading does it, and that's not including what happened at Derby.

------------

On 20 September 2006 he was unveiled as manager of Queens Park Rangers. He replaced Gary Waddock, who had stepped down following a poor succession of results that had left the club bottom of the Football League Championship.[2] This appointment caused a schism among QPR fans, some of whom saw Gregory's friendship with controversial chairman Gianni Paladini as a conflict of interest. After a decent start with successive victories over Hull City and Southampton, Rangers form dipped before winning three on the bounce (including a victory at (then) league leaders Cardiff City). Unfortunately, results did not continue to improve, and relegation looked a distinct possibility for Gregory's men. However, following a fine late season run, QPR beat Cardiff 1–0 at Loftus Road on 21 April 2007 to secure their Championship status for another year. Gregory was sacked as QPR manager on 1 October 2007, after another string of poor performances.[3]

On 8 December 2009, Gregory was appointed the manager of Israeli club Maccabi Ahi Nazareth.[4] He led them to relegation.

On 18 May 2010 Gregory signed a 3 year contract with Israeli Premier League Club F.C. Ashdod. He resigned from Ashdod on 18 April 2011, with the club facing the possibility of relegation.[5]

On 13 June 2011, Gregory was appointed the manager of Kazakh club FC Kairat from Almaty, Kazakhstan.[6] Kairat were relegated at the end of the 2011 season to the second tier of Kazakhstan football.

In April 2012, Gregory had his contract as manager of FC Kairat terminated and was paid $120,000 in compensation.[7]

The fact he's out of contract is good reading :)

I don't think many are suggesting that we hire him as our first choice candidate. If however things pan out like last summer and we end up scraping the barrel, rather than get another McLeish (although I don't think anyone could be as bad as him) it would be better if we just appointed Gregory. At least that way you would have a manager that the majority of fans could get behind.

Yeah Emile is worse than Bosko. Balaban was one of Europes hottest talents when we signed him and just didnt work out.
Obviously, if you're not using how a player actually performed for Villa as a measure of whether they were a good signing, then all bets are off. Balaban would have been fantastic for us and helped us win the European Cup for only the second time in our history if only it had "worked out" and he had ever remembered how to play footall whenever he pulled on a Villa shirt. :winkold:
  • Haha 1

• 11 years later...

Was a good interview with a majority about his Villa days. You can tell he massively regrets leaving us in 2002 as he said it many times

Collymore doesnt come across very well, apparently wasnt liked by the other players. 

• Like 1

Â