England Euro 2012 23 man squad

EastEndVillan

Not surprised Bent not in been out since after Wigan away so get fit for pre season but that's talking frn a Villa point of view.

Dunno why M Richards aint in Kyle Walker Richards & Johnson in that order & Downing in as well 0 goals or assists this season its a jpke

Carroll in wud picked Crouch over him knows where the net is. Grant Holt maybe for games in future but was a decnt shout

Has it been mentioned how Hodgson was impressed by Chamberlain doing well against AC Milan duo Ambrosini and Pirlo?

Even though Ambrosini wasn't playing and Pirlo doesn't even play for them!

My word. That is some blooper :lol:

Has it been mentioned how Hodgson was impressed by Chamberlain doing well against AC Milan duo Ambrosini and Pirlo?

Granted it's a mistake.... However, Ambrosini did play against him at the San Siro.

5. Downing? Ahead of A. Johnson? A key member of a title winning squad? Ha.

As good as I think Johnson is and would have liked him to be in the main squad as opposed to back up, to call him a key member of the squad is a little OTT. In all competitions he only started 16 games and a further 24 as sub

It's hard to really argue with a fair amount of that squad - England isn't overly blessed at the moment, the latest generation hasn't set the earth on fire and theres the lingering edges of the last 'golden' generation to choose from. So you can see why the squad looks like it does.

But the thing that strikes me is this - Gerrard, Lampard... why? Gerrard has done pretty much nothing this season, and both he and Lampard are fastly fading forces. They're not going to be there in 2 years (or at least they bloody well shouldn't be) and this tournament is effectively a write off anyway - why bother? Give someone else a crack, prepare for the future.

I'd have binned Terry as well. He's poisonous and his star is fading. Cut your losses, gun for the future.

I've no idea what Defoe is there for. He's a player who's barely good enough for Spurs these days, and they've been desperate. I can sorta see why you take Welbeck, though I don't much rate him... but no Sturridge?! He's quality and can offer a threat wide even. I'd have probably given Holt a go as well - he's probably deserved a day in the sun on this season and, chances are we're going to go terribly so take a risk.

I said before Hodgeson needs to bin the old guard and I'm not surprised, though I am disappointed, he didn't. If things go badly this tournament they'll knife him, metaphorically, and the papers will only be so happy to help.

We aren't winning this tournament, he should have used it to learn about the new blood.

team that lost to germany -

james - johnson, terry, upson, cole - milner, barry, lampard, gerrard - rooney, defoe

our likely team in the euros -

hart - johnson, terry, cahill, cole - parker, barry, lampard - gerrard, rooney, young

its hardly the leap forward after the shocking world cup is it?

Parker isnt going to be fit, is he?

Last they said was he either just needs an injection (which he's had) that'll help him along the way and he'll be ok for the tournament... and if not it's an op and he's out.

The worry there is... if it's bad enough that maybe an op is needed, you've got to think that an injection isn't going fix a lot. And if it does, you've then got to worry about it possibly flaring up in the tournament (in the 3 games he'll play...). And we don't really have an alternative. The closest is Barry but even he's not really the same player.

My word. That is some blooper :lol:

Yes, to me the guy is a complete spoofer.

The Euros will be fun.

Defoe scored 11 goals in 1287 minutes. If Bent or Agbonlahor ever hit that sort of form in a Villa shirt you'd all be saying how they have to be in the England squad. Last season you were all going crazy over Bent after he scored 9 goals 1400 mins, which is not even remotely impressive compared to Defoe's form this season. Defoes record for England is actually good. Most of his appearances have been cameos which make it seem as if his strike rate isn't up to much, but his goals per mintue ratio I think is good. Defoe has come close to scoring at twice the speed of Sturridge this season. Rooney is the only English player who has a better scoring rate than Defoe this season. He might not start much for us, but VDV and Adebayor are way tougher competition than Wellbeck, Sturridge, Bent, Crouch, Zammora and Carroll. Just because he isn't good enough to start for us, doesn't mean he isn't good enough for the England squad. Ultimately the problem is England have seriously shit strikers.

Not surprised Bent not in been out since after Wigan away so get fit for pre season but that's talking frn a Villa point of view.

Dunno why M Richards aint in Kyle Walker Richards & Johnson in that order & Downing in as well 0 goals or assists this season its a jpke

Carroll in wud picked Crouch over him knows where the net is. Grant Holt maybe for games in future but was a decnt shout

With that spelling and grammar I now regret asking for your insights. Stick to the fixtures in future.

Terry is far from world class. Infact I think he has been found out ever since Carvalho left chelsea.

You didnt see the Barca game at The Bridge did you?

Look, i hate the bloke with a passion, but you cant deny he is still a very very good centre half, maybe not world class, but certainly good enough to be starting for England.

Or the previous game against napoli where he was exceptional.

The definition of world class is so vague it's barely even worth discussing.

But he's easily good enough for England (he's our best CB imo). And he certainly hasn't been crap for the past 2 seasons which Tim's post suggests

I don't think he has been crap by any stretch of the imagination. I would say that he is a shadow of the player I saw a few years back. Maybe thats more to do with my ever growing disdain for him. :)

Defoe scored 11 goals in 1287 minutes. If Bent or Agbonlahor ever hit that sort of form in a Villa shirt you'd all be saying how they have to be in the England squad. Last season you were all going crazy over Bent after he scored 9 goals 1400 mins, which is not even remotely impressive compared to Defoe's form this season.

Ah yeah. Didn't realise Bent had Van Der Vaart and Modric in his side either.

Defoe is absolute shit and should be nowhere near the England squad.

Defoe scored 11 goals in 1287 minutes. If Bent or Agbonlahor ever hit that sort of form in a Villa shirt you'd all be saying how they have to be in the England squad. Last season you were all going crazy over Bent after he scored 9 goals 1400 mins, which is not even remotely impressive compared to Defoe's form this season. Defoes record for England is actually good. Most of his appearances have been cameos which make it seem as if his strike rate isn't up to much, but his goals per mintue ratio I think is good. Defoe has come close to scoring at twice the speed of Sturridge this season. Rooney is the only English player who has a better scoring rate than Defoe this season. He might not start much for us, but VDV and Adebayor are way tougher competition than Wellbeck, Sturridge, Bent, Crouch, Zammora and Carroll. Just because he isn't good enough to start for us, doesn't mean he isn't good enough for the England squad. Ultimately the problem is England have seriously shit strikers.

I actually think Defoe deserves to be in the squad based on the fact that he has done it at premiership level for 10 years now. With Defoe you know at the start of the season you will get a minimum of 15 goals. For the first 2 games I think it would be best to start with Defoe, rathr then Wellbeck or Carroll.

Defoe scored 11 goals in 1287 minutes. If Bent or Agbonlahor ever hit that sort of form in a Villa shirt you'd all be saying how they have to be in the England squad. Last season you were all going crazy over Bent after he scored 9 goals 1400 mins, which is not even remotely impressive compared to Defoe's form this season.

Absolute shit? He is better then Gabby. Always gets 15 a season minimum, even when he is sub alot. Why is he shit? He is not as greedy as he used to be.

Absolute shit? He is better then Gabby. Always gets 15 a season minimum, even when he is sub alot. Why is he shit? He is not as greedy as he used to be.

Defoe is hit and hope. That's all I see him do, hit the ball as hard as he can 99% of the time. He's greedy as **** and can barely pass a ball.

I never mentioned Gabby.

You might think he's shit, but even so, surely he's the least shit of the candidates other than Rooney. If he shouldn't be anywhere near the England squad then why whould players with lesser records?

Â