General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

OGS? My feeling is that RL & PF dithered, and gave Molde a chance to persuade him to stay

You don't mean two of Villa's top people behaved incompetently do you?

No, surely not. Never been heard of before.

:lol:

Gaurdiola is taking a break from football.

Have you seen him lately, he needs it! Plus there are bigger clubs than us that he will join eventually.

Working on the assumption that we did indeed decide that OGS was not the best of the candidates in consideration for the job, being fully aware of the fan sentiment and generated feel good factor that came with the man, one would need to be pretty confident of our number one choice, AND be pretty sure that we can get him.

You would assume that the board are pretty keen to restore the faith after the abhorrence of appointing McLeish, and must have been aware that appointing OGS would have gone a long way to repairing that damage, so to say no to that opportunity - if that is what did happen - leads me to think they already have their man in place and he's going to impress us more than OGS.

Are PL, RDM, RM et al going to impress us more? I say not. Logic would conclude that there is a left field choice in the offing, or RL has throw a bucket load of cash at someone previously thought to be ungettable.

That's what logic would assume, but this is Aston Villa after all.

Good post as usual. Hope you're right. Some Custodian RL would be if he ignored the wishes of the club's fans twice in a row.

OGS? My feeling is that RL & PF dithered, and gave Molde a chance to persuade him to stay

You don't mean two of Villa's top people behaved incompetently do you?

No, surely not. Never been heard of before.

:lol:

Thing is, I'm actually surprised. I didn't think they could possibly not have learned from their cockup last year. Amazing, just amazing.

**** it, just lumped £5 on RDM at 17/1.

No compensation. .........No backroom staff possibly?

Maybe we could bring in a Laursen to assist.

I'm not saying I'd be over the moon but I can see the possible appeal.

Not sure he'd have us playing total football neither ... CFC were dire in sometimes more akin to McLeish.

Martinez would at least get us playing football again.

Why has the Lambert thread been locked? .. He hasn't ruled himself out from what I can see.

Course we could have got someone else too?

What concerns me is that we waited until after the Champions League final to decide we didn't want OGS.. Maybe it's a coincidence but maybe the board were waiting to see what RDM could do at the highest level.. I just hope they realise he was shit at WBA.

No compensation. .........No backroom staff possibly?

If this is one of the appeals to the board then they need to GTFO. Because the whole coaching set up needs a good shake. Unfortunately that means KMac & Sid either return to reserves and youth or ship on out.

Harsh I know, but fair!

What concerns me is that we waited until after the Champions League final to decide we didn't want OGS.. Maybe it's a coincidence but maybe the board were waiting to see what RDM could do at the highest level.. I just hope they realise he was shit at WBA.

This is what I said earlier. I'm worried both OGS and RDM were candidates and Chelsea winning the Champions League was what prompted them to drop OGS. MM has also mentioned RDM a couple of times as well.

This is what I said earlier. I'm worried both OGS and RDM were candidates and Chelsea winning the Champions League was what prompted them to drop OGS. MM has also mentioned RDM a couple of times as well.

I am scared of this too.

I hope they have heeded the call for progressive football though.

Grayson? **** THAT.

More or less experience than OGS?

Got sacked from West Brom, that's enough for me. Sure he won the Champions league, but Chelsea have a different quality squad than us. West Brom on the other hand had a similar squad to us.

The Baggies lost 3-0 at Manchester City on Saturday and the club said a run of 13 defeats in 18 games was the reason for the decision

I couldn't take those sort of results for another season.

Thing is, I'm actually surprised. I didn't think they could possibly not have learned from their cockup last year. Amazing, just amazing.

To be fair we might have, you just dont know. For all we know the search is going fine.

Just because one particular target has been played out for all to see means nothing really.

Well apart from everyone getting their nickers in a twist and becoming experts in running a football club overnight :D

To be fair we might have, you just dont know. For all we know the search is going fine.

Just because one particular target has been played out for all to see means nothing really.

Well apart from everyone getting their nickers in a twist and becoming experts in running a football club overnight :D

I think the point is that we, unlike the board (apparently) at least became experts in how NOT to run a football club over the last 12 months.

Gareth you will know a bit more on Rangnick, worth a go?
He quit Schalke due to exhaustion, I can't really see the Villa job being one to ease yourself back into the game with! Also, one thing that's always played on my mind with regards to Rangnick is that his success/failure at a club has on occasion seemed to correlate with the relative ease of the job he was given.

For example, he took Hoffenheim from the semi-professional Regionalliga Süd (third tier) to the 1.Liga in consecutive seasons. At a cursory glance that's quite a feat, but he arrived at Hoffenheim at a time of considerable investment in the club and dropped down to that level after being axed by Schalke. He wound up with funds at his disposal far, far beyond that of teams not only at the same level but a fair few above. Had Hoffenheim not been such an attractive prospect, I doubt he'd have gone there in the first place.

On the flip-side, he still had to use that money well and if you look at the players he brought into the club (especially during their time in the 2.Liga) you've got to say he unearthed some absolute gems. He effectively launched the careers of:

•Carlos Eduardo

•Chinedu Obasi

•Demba Ba

•Vedad Ibišević

•Luiz Gustavo

Those are just a few examples, there's a hefty list of players whose career Rangnick either helped turn around or provide a springboard for during his time at Hoffenheim.

Prior to that, Rangnick got Hannover 96 promoted to the 1.Liga at a canter in his first season but was rightfully fired in his third after a poor run of results. After that (and immediately before Hoffenheim) came his first spell at Schalke, where once again an impressive debut season - finishing second place in the league to Bayern Munich with a vastly inferior squad - was followed by poor results in the following campaign; despite winning the Ligapokal (a now defunct pseudo-Charity Shield, only with 6 teams instead of 2), he was dismissed before the Winterpause with Schalke way off the pace in the league after a poor opening run in addition to an embarassing early exit from the DFB-Pokal.

Before all that (and in his first major managerial role) he took VfB Stuttgart from back-to-back 4th place finishes prior to his appointment to near-relegation by the time he was sacked in his third campaign.

As far as Rangnick's second stint at Schalke, he was in charge for all of 23 games before he quit citing exhaustion. He took charge at the tail-end of their horrific 10/11 campaign, but (save for trouncing Inter Milan in the Champion's League) he did nothing to improve the team's fortunes, registering 2 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses in the league as Schalke stumbled their way to survival. They were a bit stop/start at the beginning of last season too.

For me, personally, I wouldn't want Rangnick.