General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

If Mick McCarthy is made Aston Villa manager, then that's it for me.

I was willing to stick it out from one mistake like McLeish - but to appoint his mate he went on holiday with last year, who plays the same shite football. No thanks.

They wouldn't go near MM. They have been open with their profile and it doesn't fit. I think id will be one of Lambert, Martinez, Rodgers or Poyet.

They did ask me but wouldn't take a drop in salary hence they have moved on :|

Wow do the Birdcage pay that much! :winkold:

I would be happy with a fair few managers if they fit the profile and I can see what the board are trying to do. Even though they are relatively unproven people like Poyet, Robinson and Clark would be ok with me.

We seem to do better when the managers come from nowhere (manageirally speaking) eg Gregory, Little etc

I've compiled a little overview of the favourites, and some cheeky outsiders too!

http://soccersagacity.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/who-will-be-the-next-aston-villa-manager/

For what it's worth, I can't believe people think we have a shot at getting AVB...

Yes, how could we possibly pry him away from his garden.

It's quite impossibru.

Not so much that he's not available for a managerial role somewhere, more that it won't be Villa. I imagine his wages would be astronomical (and consider that RL's priorities still include wage reduction), and despite a failed season at Chelsea he is still on the radar for the major club jobs in Europe.

Why do people want AVB as manager? :?

Because he did very well at porto and seems to be a good football manager.

He came 1st in a 2 horse race with a superior squad. Then did nothing at Chelsea and cost them their CL status (assuming they dont win the final).

From Wiki:

At the start of the 2009–10 season, Villas-Boas left Mourinho's support team to pursue a career as manager, and he soon found a job in the Primeira Liga with Académica de Coimbra, filling a vacancy created by Rogério Gonçalves' resignation in October 2009. At the time of Villas-Boas' appointment, Académica were at the bottom of the league and still without wins, but their luck started to change as he introduced a new style, leading them to a safe 11th place, ten points clear of the relegation zone. In addition to that, Académica also reached the 2009–10 Portuguese League Cup semi-finals, losing against Porto at the Estádio do Dragão with a late goal from Mariano González. His impact at Académica was immediate, not only because of solid results, but also because of the attractive football displayed by the team, which led to intense media speculation linking him with the vacant jobs at Sporting Clube de Portugal and Porto in the summer of 2010.

Porto

Villas-Boas was announced as the new Porto manager on 2 June 2010. On 7 August 2010, he won his first trophy when Porto beat Benfica 2–0 in the Portuguese Supercup. He followed this with three more titles: the Portuguese Primeira Liga, the UEFA Europa League and the Portuguese Cup. Porto finished the league season undefeated, with 27 victories and 3 draws. He became the third youngest coach to win the Primeira Liga, and the youngest manager ever to win a European competition, by winning the UEFA Europa League on 18 May 2011 at the age of 33 years and 213 days. On 21 June 2011 Villas-Boas tendered his resignation as manager of Porto.

Yeah he's useless...

Surely cant be MM, after the `young and vibrant' comment in the statement. Was going to ask for MYSTERYMAN to give us his opinion.. but I think his stock went downhill after he told us it wont be McLeish and is Moyes last time.. grrr..

MM, any idea how quick things are moving? Next couple of days? Next couple of weeks?

I don't but they know there is a hell of a lot of deadwood to be sorted out SO SOONER RATHER THAN LATER !

When I was berated earlier in the season with you have ' nothing to back it up ' about the wrong uns they had to simply go with it both privately and publicly to get us over the line . In hindsight that was a mistake they knew the culprits last summer but decided to give them another chance under AM which was wrong and almost a complete disaster .

Logic tells me go for Number 1 target this week he says yes then we get him in before he goes on holiday or they turn next week to the other options ( Yes they have other options ) . So logically max 3 weeks !

After your "inside info" on McLeish last year, I'm amazed you have the sheer brass neck to show your face round here.

To be fair things could change from day to day.

Rhetorical example... I was told today its not Mick, come tomorrow all other candidates have been excused, Mick it is..

Why the **** is Faulkner calling McCarthy ?

Get this idiot away from the selection process

He hasn't :!:

Bit like McLeish wasn't going to get the Villa job eh? Or how he was definitely staying? :winkold:

In all seriousness, if you're right and it's somebody under contract and somebody that would excite a lot of the fans then it's probably either Lambert or Martinez. I mean, who else would it be?

MM's personal opinion yesterday was Lee Clark

Can't say I'd be comfortable with that appointment

Me neither.. doesn't fit into RL's `premiership experience' qualifications either. Hope MM gets some good info for us. I have him at 1-1 from the Bent `Meltdown' post VS McLeish/Moyes.. haha.

Out of the managers linked id choose 20/1 shot Marcelo Bielsa (he seems abit mad but of the Guardiola mold with very interesting approach to the game, he will not be coming though) secondly Villa-Boas (destiny surely, he has Villa in his name, first purchase David Villa?). He did not do well at Chelsea but he had an old arrogant squad, with a younger team I think he'd excel but again this is a long shot.

Out of the more realistic targets id choose Lambert over Martinez. Im just not convinced with Martinez, Wigan are absolutely awful for most of the season but he gets the motivation to have a good run and escape, I do not believe they consistently play good football over the course of the season, if he does become the man though he is definately a 100% improvement on Mcleish.

Anyone like Mclaren, Mccarthy (would be worse than Mcleish), Curbishley etc would finish it for me. Id paid a passing interesting in the fortune of our club this season due to that absolute disaster of a manager ill admit and if any similar type manager is appointed, I dont see me paying much attention again.

I want someone with new ideas and a fresh approach to the game, young, determined, forward thinking.

From what i saw of him at Chelsea this season...yeah...he's useless!

Chelsea, like us, is a bit of a poisoned chalice. He was tasked to remove the older players and bring through a new generation of player into the squad.

Like us, he found a team with aging superstars in control and mega wages that meant they were difficult to shift.

I would live AVB, my only concern is that we are a closer task to Chelsea than anyone would care to admit. We would need the fans and the club to stick by him rather than "burn him" like Abramovich did.

Surely cant be MM, after the `young and vibrant' comment in the statement. Was going to ask for MYSTERYMAN to give us his opinion.. but I think his stock went downhill after he told us it wont be McLeish and is Moyes last time.. grrr..

The word 'young' was not mentioned in the statement