Football clubs not named after their town/city

TRS-T

So they should be Greater Manchester United? I though you didn't accept naming teams like Notts County after their county. Salford is a city in its own right, so is Stretford, why would teams there use the name of their county (a county which didn't even exist when they took their name)? Manchester is most definitely not the same as Greater Manchester

The Hawthorns in in West Brom. They moved the boundary so that it was. It's all arbitrary isn't it?

Or perhaps tell Coventry to go back to Warwickshire and we can call it Birmingham & Black Country to satisfy the Yam Yams.

Get to ****! Birmingham is in Warwickshire too, which is why Warwickshire CCC play their home games on the edge of Birmingham city centre. As a Warwickshire lad, I'll be **** if I am giving that up just because you cant take your mates saying that Villa arent named after Birmingham.

Or perhaps tell Coventry to go back to Warwickshire and we can call it Birmingham & Black Country to satisfy the Yam Yams.

Get to ****! Birmingham is in Warwickshire too, which is why Warwickshire CCC play their home games on the edge of Birmingham city centre. As a Warwickshire lad, I'll be **** if I am giving that up just because you cant take your mates saying that Villa arent named after Birmingham.

Yeah but isn't Coventry basically separate from the rest of the West Midlands and more in touch with Warwickshire?

Like I think there is only one bus (907?) that goes from Coventry City Centre to Birmingham City Centre.

But there are probably loads of buses that go from Coventry City Centre to Warwickshire towns like Nuneaton, Rugby, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth etc.

So surely it makes sense for Coventry to be in Warwickshire rather than the West Midlands?

Why does it matter so much? Aston Villa is a good name.

I mean it's a valid point... we should obviously just be called, and it's quite simple to remember:

'The football team who are based within or near Aston, which has been part of Birmingham for many years, which used to be called Beormingahām, and is technically part of the county West Midlands, but it doesn't really sound like a county, like the shires do, anyway, it's in a country called England, in a place we now call the United Kingdom or Great Britain depending on what you want to do' Villa.

Yeah but isn't Coventry basically separate from the rest of the West Midlands and more in touch with Warwickshire?

Like I think there is only one bus (907?) that goes from Coventry City Centre to Birmingham City Centre.

But there are probably loads of buses that go from Coventry City Centre to Warwickshire towns like Nuneaton, Rugby, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth etc.

So surely it makes sense for Coventry to be in Warwickshire rather than the West Midlands?

I dont think bus routes have much to do with anything really. I think the main reason why there are so few buses between Coventry city centre and Birmingham city centre is because the train service is so frequent, there are seven trains per hour all day long between the two places so the bus cant really compete.

There is an area of green belt land between Coventry and Birmingham called the Meriden Gap. People have wanted to build on it for years and make the whole area into one giant conurbation but for the time being it seems that actually having some countryside to enjoy is winning the argument. That will probably all change again if/when Birmingham airport gets a second runway and the area becomes less desirable to live in for people with lots of money who want a house in the country without being in the middle of nowhere. If that does happen though, will we get a thread in 30 years time from your son saying we should change the name of everything again?

This thread is so good I'm forgetting what ridiculous point it was intending to make
That's where I am too. I think we've gone very much into the realms of "whatever you say now, I'll say the opposite" or "there's no way the dog is letting go of this bone". As Merse would say, it's proper radio rental.

I dont think bus routes have much to do with anything really. I think the main reason why there are so few buses between Coventry city centre and Birmingham city centre is because the train service is so frequent, there are seven trains per hour all day long between the two places so the bus cant really compete.

There is an area of green belt land between Coventry and Birmingham called the Meriden Gap. People have wanted to build on it for years and make the whole area into one giant conurbation but for the time being it seems that actually having some countryside to enjoy is winning the argument. That will probably all change again if/when Birmingham airport gets a second runway and the area becomes less desirable to live in for people with lots of money who want a house in the country without being in the middle of nowhere. If that does happen though, will we get a thread in 30 years time from your son saying we should change the name of everything again?

If that happens we call it Greater Birmingham tell the Yam Yams and the Coventrians to stop complaining about the name.

That's what we should do now anyway :P

It is a little known fact that Aston Villa were founded by one Olav Stalin, and took an anagram of his name as a tribute.

Just as Birmingham City is an anagram of 'ya rimming bitch'.

Â