Football clubs not named after their town/city

TRS-T

Let's just call ourselves Villa FC yeh, the only other Villa I can think of if Pelsall, and who cares about them rite.

And before anyone says anything, no I don't know if Pelsall Villa play in Pelsall, or if the No. 48 bus goes there, or anything.

There's a fair few 'Villa' teams in Argentina (unsurprisingly), but the greatest of all namesakes is Tallinna FC Eston Villa in the fourth tier of Estonian football.

Why does it matter so much? Aston Villa is a good name.

I know.

I wouldn't be feel right if we were BVFC.

But still Aston Villa is a good name for a local league.

"Aston Villa" vs "Erdington Rovers"

"Small Heath Alliance" vs "Northfield Wanderers"

etc

But since it's a national league, most clubs are named after the town or city from which they hail.

And it's Eston Villa

ESTON VILLA FC

By far the greatest TEAM

the fourth tier of the Estonion Football League has ever SEEN

But Gareth are they actually based in Tallinn?

And it's Eston Villa

ESTON VILLA FC

By far the greatest TEAM

We actually have a Villa fan from Tallinn whose first name is actually Eston, he used to post here and on the O/S forums, haven't heard from him for a good while but I'm beginning to wonder now….

And it's Eston Villa

ESTON VILLA FC

By far the greatest TEAM

:lol:

Who the **** knows?

Actually, yes they are. They play in the Lasnamäe SPK Kunstmuruväljak stadium in Tallinn. Although as it goes, I think "FC Eston Villa" is actually their full name, and the "Tallinn" bit was just added onto the English Wiki.

I've double-checked, they are in fact simply "FC Eston Villa", ergo they do qualify for this bonkers thread.

And it's Eston Villa

ESTON VILLA FC

By far the greatest TEAM

We actually have a Villa fan from Tallinn whose first name is actually Eston, he used to post here and on the O/S forums, haven't heard from him for a good while but I'm beginning to wonder now….

That is wonderful! :D

It's quite baffiling that someone with access to the internet isn't able do the most basic research into the history of the parish of Aston and of the county of Warwickshire and yet almost exclusively creates topics about these very matters.

:detect:

Why does it matter so much? Aston Villa is a good name.

I know.

I wouldn't be feel right if we were BVFC.

But still Aston Villa is a good name for a local league.

"Aston Villa" vs "Erdington Rovers"

"Small Heath Alliance" vs "Northfield Wanderers"

etc

But since it's a national league, most clubs are named after the town or city from which they hail.

But, as previous posters on this fascinating thread have conclusively demonstrated, that's patently untrue isn't it? not one of the London clubs, for example, is named London anything.

yer beating a dead horse there mate.

Or perhaps tell Coventry to go back to Warwickshire and we can call it Birmingham & Black Country to satisfy the Yam Yams.

Get to ****! Birmingham is in Warwickshire too, which is why Warwickshire CCC play their home games on the edge of Birmingham city centre. As a Warwickshire lad, I'll be **** if I am giving that up just because you cant take your mates saying that Villa arent named after Birmingham.

Yeah but isn't Coventry basically separate from the rest of the West Midlands and more in touch with Warwickshire?

Like I think there is only one bus (907?) that goes from Coventry City Centre to Birmingham City Centre.

But there are probably loads of buses that go from Coventry City Centre to Warwickshire towns like Nuneaton, Rugby, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth etc.

So surely it makes sense for Coventry to be in Warwickshire rather than the West Midlands?

Who made you the Lord of the Land? Places aren't going to be renamed just because you say so, so why are you pedalling this bullshit?

In Champions League draws it's always "Arsenal London" and "Chelsea London"

Crazy how Paris has only one team though.

We do the same with Internazionale (Inter Milan) too.

And Paris is a weird place. It's not a sporting city at all really is it? Mind you, I dont think France is as passionate about Football as a lot of other "football" countries, Rugby (both codes) seems to get a much bigger share of the limelight there than it does here.

Paris technically does have more than one team. Créteil-Lusitanos are in a south-eastern suburb of Paris. There's Paris FC as well.

In the subject matter, NOBODY mentioned Benfica!

On a similar subject, "Sporting Lisbon" is not that club's name. It's Sporting Clube de Portugal.

Lisbon have a third team not containing the name of the city, forget what it's called. It's got a Z in it somewhere.

Regarding suggestions that we should have renamed ourselves to "Birmingham Villa"...a city councillor tried this once, and got laughed at by the national press.

correct name is Sport Lisboa Benfica.

Dublin has loads of these teams

Shamrock Rovers

Shelbourne

Bohemians

St.Patricks Athletic

correct name is Sport Lisboa Benfica.

Bollocks, I stand corrected.

Sporting Clube de Portugal still stands then.

C.F. Os Belenenses are the third one in Lisbon that I mentioned before - they are named after the district of Belem...famous for it's custard tarts!

Vitesse in Holland. Play in Arnhem, and Vitesse is simply French for speed/fast.

Fast Football Club basically :lol:

Â