Football clubs not named after their town/city

TRS-T

There is no such country as Holland. Arnhem is not in Holland. It's like referring to England as "East Anglia". The country is called The Netherlands.

Seeing as we're talking about naming, I thought this was important :mrgreen:

True Simon. I'd have said the Dutch don't care (because they don't) but seeing as this is specifically a location thread, you're right to bring it up !

And on the subject of Vitesse. I always thought (obviously wrongly) that they were called Vitesse Arnhem. Seems they were only ever called Vitesse.

Consider me corrected. Though as the country is often referred to as Holland it is both correct in that it is in "Holland" (the country, or Nederland) but not in Noord-/Zuid-Holland (the region(s). ;)

Has someone mentioned Sampdoria? If not I'm putting that one up for debate, they are in Genoa. But obviously not got Genoa in the name (full club name Unione Calcio Sampdoria, SpA)

True Simon. I'd have said the Dutch don't care (because they don't) but seeing as this is specifically a location thread, you're right to bring it up !

And on the subject of Vitesse. I always thought (obviously wrongly) that they were called Vitesse Arnhem. Seems they were only ever called Vitesse.

It gets complicated further because the Dutch (the province where their language came from?) refer to their country as Nederland, which translates as low country, but of course we already referred to the whole region of Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg as the low countries by then. It's probably the reason why we still dont have a very good Anglicised name for them.

BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE CHANGED THEIR NAME TO GLASGOW THISTLE IN 1911. THE FANS WOULDNT HAVE MINDED.

*Adopts black American woman's voice* Oh snap!

How is Aston Villa not named after the town of Aston ?

Just what I was thinking...

Yes but Aston is not a town anymore.

If you live in Aston, you write your address as Birmingham, not Aston.

Well it may not be a town anymore (despite the area still retaining the train station name as 'Aston') but it was when we were invented so surely that should count?

It does count, we're from Aston, we play in Aston, we're Aston Villa. He's just being an idiot.

Birmingham Villa just sounds so so so wrong, on so so so many levels.

According to wiki, Aston is a town within the city of Birmingham.

Perhaps we should call the club Aston (Birmingham) Villa.

If you live in Great Barr, you write your address as Birmingham, doesn't mean you live there though. You could be part of Walsall or Sandwell depending on where you live, that argument is therefore nonsense

It does count, we're from Aston, we play in Aston, we're Aston Villa. He's just being an idiot.

They're from Small Heath, they play in Small Heath, they're Small Heath Alliance.

Do you disagree with Small Heath becoming Birmingham City then?

They're from Small Heath, they play in Small Heath, they're Small Heath Alliance.

Do you disagree with Small Heath becoming Birmingham City then?

You do know that all Villa fans object to it as they broke an agreement between the clubs not to take the name of the city.

Â